Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sad day for North Jersey Music Shop

On 8/19/2022 at 8:28 PM, lightbg said:

The 3 manual Moeller pipe organ was the first pipe organ I ever played, and that occasion was my audition for entering Montclair!

It was the first I had ever played, also. I was actually accompanying a Wurlitzer salesman to Montclair for something. Jim Griggs. Fine pianist, especially with classical, really good console organ player, good left foot, which I never had.  He knew the people in the music department and we each played it for a bit. I loved it, and still remember playing the obligatory Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.  🙂

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

in South Jersey we had The Music Place, Zapf's Music where I got my first Yamaha in both South Jersey and Philly and 8th street music . Great places where you could try things out.

I had a disaster of a visit in GC in NYC where I went there and nothing was plugged in. Had to go through what seemed like a job interview and just walked out.

They wanted to know if I was picking up one that day, if I had a gear card to save 10%, and what keyboards I had at home. I told them these are not relevant.

Then they said sometimes they don't get all the parts to plug the boards in. 

I wish I knew about and could have visited Muscara Music in Jersey. I don't know of any relation, but it would have been fun to meet that family.

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 8/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, LarsHarner2 said:

in South Jersey we had The Music Place, Zapf's Music where I got my first Yamaha in both South Jersey and Philly and 8th street music . Great places where you could try things out.

I had a disaster of a visit in GC in NYC where I went there and nothing was plugged in. Had to go through what seemed like a job interview and just walked out.

They wanted to know if I was picking up one that day, if I had a gear card to save 10%, and what keyboards I had at home. I told them these are not relevant.

Then they said sometimes they don't get all the parts to plug the boards in. 

Cintioli's also in North Philly

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

On 8/16/2022 at 12:09 PM, obxa said:

Wow thank you for the  great memories guys-  had no idea most of you were from there!!!

Went to West Milford HS, William Patterson Uni, and played all around the NJ/NY club circuit for years (Strutter)  before moving and working in NYC. Then going on the road moved to Cali,then here.  

Bought my Wurli and boat loads of stuff  from Sam Ash Paramus,  tons of stuff from Robbies.  The 2nd floor was big on "Univox" stuff.    Victor's House of Music in Ridgewood, (who is also ZZounds),  Got my Arp and used to rent road pianos from Long & Mcquade Parsippany,   I used to raid the basement at Muscara in Belleville- still have things I bought there.   ....And of course across the street  Triple S electronics (Springsteen's brother in law) used to fix all my synths!!!!   

If you're old enough you'll probably remember Willowbrook Mall, and the big "2 Guys" store near where 46, 23 and all that stuff met.And if you gigged, the Tick-Tock diner on 46. :)

Wow, what a small world.  My brother Larry went to West Milford high and also to WM Patterson.  He wasn't a gigging musician, so you probably didn't cross paths. I believe Willowbrook mall was the first of its kind in the USA, and my parents took us to 2Guys all the time.  Thanks for those brain tweaks!

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre