Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Turbosound IQ, EV ZXA1, Yamaha DXR, JBL Eon

Hi there!

Anyone can share their experience playing AP sounds through these? I'm still looking for amp, mostly acoustic piano sounds from my CP4 at experimenting jazz gigs, can get a bit loud sometimes. I would need even, flat response, wide spread and stereo! What I'm basically looking for is to fake a real piano when there's none. Best experience was always with 2 active speakers in stereo. I'm occasionally using a Nord lead 2x, so I was thinking maybe 10". Am I right to think that? I originally wanted to buy QSC K.2-s but they are out of stock everywhere in Europe since ages. My best experience so far was with L-acoustics speakers, very nice and warm sound, unfortunately out of my price range. For now I have a Spacestation v.3 and a Bose L1 Model II. Spacestation is honky, Bose is crystal clear however I very much miss the stereo and it's some stuff to carry around.

I'm very interested in the Turbosound IQ, I've heard good reviews, and that it's a good alternative for the QSC k.2, and yet not a lot of people talk about them here. I'm also considering EV ZXA1 and Yamaha DXR-s. I've also had a surprisingly good experience with a pair of JBL EON 615. (Though I would not buy 15") I've seen they now have the eon 7.

Anyone can shed some light? Maybe a shootout from the Turbosound?

Thank you in advance!

I have yammy DBR 10's .  Some say they are dark.  When properly EQ'd, I find them just fine, and the price is great. (i got an open box pair for 400 bucks i think)

The piano player in my band has the EV ZXA1-90's with his cp88. Those little things get crazy loud. I find he often sounds harsh though. (could be he just likes it that way ...who knows with him).  Every Monday, i play with a guy who uses a single DXR-10.  In a band situation, I don't find it that different from the DBR.  That club besides the PA, also a bunch of extra QSC's lying around for monitors, etc. I played through a K8.2 there last week that was really nice... and small.

I have a slight preference for the QSC K8.2 over the EV ZXa1, but not enough for the difference in travel weight (and there are even some ways I prefer the sound of the EV).

I have not heard the Eon 6/7 series, though I'd prefer the QSC or EV over the older Eons I've used, or the Eon Compact. But the big PRX625 is probably my favorite of all the "portable" speakers I've played through (in quotes since they're 60 lbs each). I also like the QSC and EV better than the DXR speakers I've heard, though again, I haven't heard the newest. And of course there is subjectivity to this as well, a lot of people love the DXRs. I haven't heard a Turbosound IQ.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a pair of JBL EON 15s. They are ok but I would advise anybody AGAINST them. They are very far from flat and have a very hyped upper midrange. Plus i think it's a Harman intl company and it's like a quest to a mountaintop trying to get warranty work or authorized repairs.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

Thank you everyone for all the shared experiences!

I'm not even sure if I should choose 8" or 10" speakers?

I guess I'd need to take all the different speakers to a gig to find it out, which is of course not possible. But it's even hard to find a place that has all of them so I could try them out. It's so hard to choose blindfolded.

4 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

You might want to look at the RCF TT-08A IIs

Well considering I'd need two of them, they are unfortunately still out of my price range, but maybe later.. :)

4 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

their top of the line NUQ speakers

Here I can buy them in the city, and their price is not even that much higher than that of the IQ's. Would you think they worth a try?

4 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

I have a pair of JBL EON 15s. They are ok but I would advise anybody AGAINST them.

Yes, older models are sh*t but the new one didn't sound so bad to me. They were ok, as you've also said.

• Like 1

I can give high marks to my DXR 8 Mk2 as my preference.  I mostly use them when I need stereo wedge monitors and practice.  I gig more often with the QSC K10.2 pair though.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries