Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the going rate for a Leslie 145 these days?

I have a line on a locally available 145.  Haven't gotten to see it yet but supposedly it hasn't been gigged, although the seller told me it's missing some of the lower molding, which tells me it's probably not in "living room" condition.  I see asking prices on Reverb and Ebay today (note "asking" not necessarily "selling") for these as high as $1500 - $2000.  A few years back I passed on a 145 and a 142 in the $800 range because I just wasn't ready to buy at that point.  I'd like to understand "today's pricing" before I make a decision.  Also, anything specific to look for other than ensuring smooth, quiet operation and switching? 

Thanks,

Lou

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

I would pay no more than $1500 and would try to target $1100-1200.

That sounds about right to me as "fair market value" in the U.S.  It wouldn't surprise me if some sellers are getting $2k, though.  Sounds like a lot of money for an old Leslie but look at how expensive the new ones are, and 2k starts looking attractive in perspective.

There are always stories of people getting deals/steals on old Hammonds and Leslies but those stories usually involve luck and/or patience. 

I probably shouldn't tell you that a guy gave me a great sounding 145 a couple years ago. It too had missing molding on the bottom and a less than pristine case, but boy does it wail.

My band played a party for him and his son, both musicians. He had this laying around unused but used to play pedal steel through it.

Moe

---

59 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

are you anywhere near nyc?  sadly, my 145 just sits here (crowded city, neighbor, volume issues)and it should probably go to a good home. Has a groovy fishsticks interface too.

I'm actually in central NC, but I do have family in North Jersey (Nutley) so anything's possible.  Shoot me a PM and we can discuss sometime......my cousin will be coming down later this fall to visit me, I could always beg him to give a Leslie a ride.  Fortunately I have a nice practice room and don't have any neighbor volume issues to worry about (only spousal volume issues!)