Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The end of MODX?

7 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I assume you confirmed that the YC73 did have the update installed. But something easily missed is that the update does not alter the original factory patches. If you want to hear the new rotary, you either have to navigate to one of the new (higher numbered) Live Sets that have it (nothing on the first 11 pages will have it), or you have to manually select the updated rotary effect within whatever Live Set you're on. (Even if you don't specifically choose a Live Set, when you turn the unit on, you will be in Live Set #1. It will not have the new rotary unless you go to a menu and change it.)

Yes, I did that so it was set to the Studio rotary. A/B ing with my Nord I think I worked out what the issue was. It was a lack of 'presence'...the Nord sounded much more 'in your face', almost like it was recorded more 'closely' if you like...hard to explain. Using the YC's Master EQ really did help equalise that though (although since it's global you then have to remember to turn it off for other patches)

2 hours ago, Sunlight2 said:

Using the YC's Master EQ really did help equalise that though (although since it's global you then have to remember to turn it off for other patches)

While the master EQ cannot be saved per-patch, the same update that added the new rotary effect also added more EQ options that can be saved per patch, so there is some chance that it could be addressed that way.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The new firmware also allows you to add EQ in the effects engine for keys A and B. I prefer to use that as opposed to the master EQ.

image.thumb.png.a9a141e2106c0244f6337f2130dc7fa0.png

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• 3 weeks later...

299996028-1729973970735201-5863717343097

299973090-1729974007401864-5536205558486

299787857-1729973984068533-4360005487287

Yamaha-MODX-Comments.png

As they say...interesting.

• Like 3

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Certainly possible it's a fake, right down to the message itself. That said, I would say that IF the translation of the purported Yamaha rep's message is accurate, this could be feasible depending on where in the world one lived.

"Dear __, Thank you for waiting for our answer, I say that the return of the product will no longer be necessary. Because the product was imported and distributed earlier than expected to non-considered channels we could not support you with support, the service or downloads of manuals, software and repair service until *SEPTEMBER*. We regret the setbacks that this has caused. Greetings! ... Thank you! We are still in touch, greetings"

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

11 minutes ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Certainly possible it's a fake, right down to the message itself. That said, I would say that IF the translation of the purported Yamaha rep's message is accurate, this could be feasible depending on where in the world one lived.

"Dear __, Thank you for waiting for our answer, I say that the return of the product will no longer be necessary. Because the product was imported and distributed earlier than expected to non-considered channels we could not support you with support, the service or downloads of manuals, software and repair service until *SEPTEMBER*. We regret the setbacks that this has caused. Greetings! ... Thank you! We are still in touch, greetings"

That sounds really fake... But, well, time will tell.

I don't think the "+" suits Yamaha nomenclature either.

Someone on the yamaha forums, that seems to have an "in"--again, this is the internet but the other posters seem to give this person some weight--said they have heard it's a new product of some sort.  That was before this image and new info.

That said my default position on these types of things is....fake.   Just too many trolls out in the interwebs seeking money and/or attention.   If not, we'll find out eventually!

Edit: read through those forums, the poster that has the "in" thinks this is fake, so there's that :)  

If the Modx does indeed have half the processing power of the Montage, and some new engine needed that power to be added to the Modx, then coming out with a new version would fit.  Adding a "+" makes sense if not that much has changed.   Not sure why they'd necessarily change the exterior if that was the deal but I like the black better.   And sure it could be 3d rendering or photoshop, in fact most likely is.

If they do add AN-X and/or the YC organ I'd be super impressed.   I'm not sure what else would warrant a new version.

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

Adding a "+" makes sense if not that much has changed.   Not sure why they'd necessarily change the exterior if that was the deal but I like the black better. 

Similar to Roland VR-09 becoming VR-09B. And Krome EX was not SO different from Krome, I think it was just an expanded sound set. So sure, minor differences sensibly correspond with minor name changes, but these changes still serve to generate new press and re-establish a board as a "current" up-to-date model, even if they're not all that different, as opposed to it seeming like an older model, and one that people may otherwise feel may be likely to be replaced soon. So even if the changes aren't all the significant, it still provides a little more "purchase security."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, EB5AGV said:

The day my Montage 6 capabilities limit in any way my playing, I will look for a successor. I guess that could take lots, and I really mean lots of time... 😅

I don’t think a MODX+ (if that’s a real thing) would be better than Montage. Most probably the + would bring better CPU, so that both Montage and MODX+ receive the same updates with new engines, e.g. AN-X and YC. If that’s the case indeed, I’d seriously consider purchasing a MODX6 again (this time the + version). 

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

...but these changes still serve to generate new press and re-establish a board as a "current" up-to-date model, even if they're not all that different...

I think brotha @AnotherScott is on to the real skinny here *if* this is indeed what Yamaha plans to do. 

Since Yamaha has been repackaging the same sounds forever, it would make perfect sense to update the KBs adding a + to the model name.😁

My local dealer still carries the *regular* MODX.  I'm wondering if it will be subject to a blowout sale if/when the replacement arrives.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My own assumption--mainly drawn from looking at their past--is that any new MODX functionality would be also added to the existing Montage.  That might be the case if any new stuff is tied to the "missing" horsepower from the hardware when comparing the MODX to Montage.   It would be pretty weird for them to have a "MODX turbo" which is better in some way (other than weight!) than the big dog.

A lot of ifs.   Even if it's a new model it might not end up being all that different.

The organ engine wouldn't excite me as much as the analog one if they were to add it.  B-3x is basically installed on it, my ipad doesn't leave its spot on top!  Drawbars would be nice of course.  That said, who knows if Apple might come along and rock the boat with IOS, so I would prefer if everything was self-contained.

11 hours ago, Stokely said:

My own assumption--mainly drawn from looking at their past--is that any new MODX functionality would be also added to the existing Montage.  That might be the case if any new stuff is tied to the "missing" horsepower from the hardware when comparing the MODX to Montage.   It would be pretty weird for them to have a "MODX turbo" which is better in some way (other than weight!) than the big dog.

As it seems the new model is a reality, I really hope you are right!. And that would be a big impulse to all the Montage/MODX line. This will be in the line of Montage being a long-term hardware platform. Of course, owning a couple Montage 6 is what I would desire! 😬

My guess is that with the MODX+ line we will see also Montage firmware v4.0 and MODX firmware v3.0

Interesting times ahead!

Jose

I sold my MODX at half the price, a few months ago. Lucky me, I guess... 🧐

I'm pretty certain we will see the AN-X added to both Montage and MODX+ very soon. I wouldn't hold my breath for a YC (clonewheel engine) though. Sometimes I'm a bit sorry that I sold the MODX6 since it had fantastic sounds and features. But the usability was poor in my opinion, I couldn't get used to the weird concepts, like (speaking off memory, so might be wrong) when I am in "part common" screen or some other common screen, having parameters scattered around totally different screens, or being duplicated on others and remembering which shortcut would open which edit screen. After all I just gave up and used it for the presets... I also missed having good variety of analog sounds, so I guess this complaint will be addressed with the AN-X introduction. I've been recently fascinated with Hammond organ emulations, so if they introduce a YC-engine too, they will seal the deal for me for a MODX6+ 😀

That is my best guess too.  They trademarked AN-X for a reason, and being that it looks a lot like "FM-X"....suggestive.

Probably the price will bump up for any new MODX-plus so I'm going to strongly consider a Montage 6 or 7 if indeed they add a new engine.   One of those plus an ipad is absolutely killer and I might just pair it with my "old" MODX7 if I don't sell it.   Having two very similar boards has some advantages especially if they could (mostly) share patches.   I freaking love how that white one looks.

Again I'm not getting too excited until I get actual concrete news :)   

The panel seems exactly the same as the original. Could it be just a memory increase, similar to the Nord Stage "EX" models?

And about that "/E" in the product name, I wonder if that would be a forthcoming expansion for existing owners of the original model.

I’m wondering if Yamaha asked Matt Johnson to create some AN-X patches. He said some of the FM-X patches were made by him, so apparently they work together and he’s one of the most famous Montage ambassadors. His signature vintage analog sounds that he creates on the Minimoog, Prophet-6, OB-6, Take-5, etc are exactly the type of vintage analog sound I’m after and if he gave some feedback to Yamaha to make the AN-X capable of that type of sound would be more than awesome! Can’t wait to see 🙂

Actually my dream instrument is something about the size and weight of the MODX, with the same AWM2 engine and FM-X engine, plus a virtual analog engine and a full fledged organ engine that Yamaha developed and implemented in their other keyboards, plus the pipe organ engine they implemented in Genos.
And a joystick instead of pair of wheels, and wider keys, because the MODX's keys kinda narrow.

I'm fantasizing about this theoretical instrument for years.
I think Yamaha are the best in term of sound, but they consistently don't implement most their best technologies in one keyboard, unlike KORG for example.

24 minutes ago, hag01 said:

I think Yamaha are the best in term of sound, but they consistently don't implement most their best technologies in one keyboard, unlike KORG for example.

Yes, it is a little irritating. Without even getting into things that require something more than the same basic AWM2 sample engine (which could excuse the model-specific things like the organ/rotary of the YC, the SA2 sounds of the Genos, the sympathetic resonance implementation of the P515, the multi-part single instrument more-than-8-element sounds of the Montage/MODX), Montage/MODX don't have some of the better APs/EPs of the CP/YC models, and I was surprised to find that the marimba on the Genos appears to use just a single sample over the entire velocity range, whereas the Montage/MODX marimba is velocity multi-sampled and noticeably better. It's not like using the same Marimba sound they use in the lower end models would have taken a prohibitive amount of additional memory! There seems to be excessive segregation of sonic capabilities. (Korg isn't totally immune, though.)

• Like 2

I wonder if the Roland Fantom has pushed them a bit.  Probably not considering the size of the companies but feature-wise it's very nice.

It would be nice if Korg got into the fray a bit more and pushed things forward, what could they have done with the big head start they had with the Kronos (which I still see everywhere on live show videos).....

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, it is a little irritating. Without even getting into things that require something more than the same basic AWM2 sample engine (which could excuse the model-specific things like the organ/rotary of the YC, the SA2 sounds of the Genos, the sympathetic resonance implementation of the P515, the multi-part single instrument more-than-8-element sounds of the Montage/MODX), Montage/MODX don't have some of the better APs/EPs of the CP/YC models, and I was surprised to find that the marimba on the Genos appears to use just a single sample over the entire velocity range, whereas the Montage/MODX marimba is velocity multi-sampled and noticeably better. It's not like using the same Marimba sound they use in the lower end models would have taken a prohibitive amount of additional memory! There seems to be excessive segregation of sonic capabilities. (Korg isn't totally immune, though.)

And still, the Yamaha Montage\MODX probably capable to produce the best sounds out of the box just with its AWM2. The sampled analog sounds are amazing, just as an example. I think the AWM2's All 9 Bars! organ preset sounds a lot better than the Roland FA's organ modelling engine for example. It's a really good sounding organ.

Of course if you will take the KORG Nautilus with endless financial recourses for expansions and professional sound designing capabilities then you will get outstanding results. Although I believe the Nautilus is vastly improved over the Kronos with its stock samples and presets, I didn't tested it yet.

Adding the AN-X engine along with increased sample memory would be a win. Adding a better aftertouch capable keyboard would be a bonus.

I had an AN1X years ago. I liked the capabilities and overall sound but didn't gel with the interface so I parted ways with it. Sadly, the MODX+ will still have the same limited amount of sliders, buttons and knobs so hands-on manipulation of the AN-X engine will still be compromised. I would still welcome it though over the AWM2 synth tones. 

On 8/18/2022 at 4:16 PM, hag01 said:

And still, the Yamaha Montage\MODX probably capable to produce the best sounds out of the box just with its AWM2. The sampled analog sounds are amazing, just as an example. I think the AWM2's All 9 Bars! organ preset sounds a lot better than the Roland FA's organ modelling engine for example. It's a really good sounding organ.

Of course if you will take the KORG Nautilus with endless financial recourses for expansions and professional sound designing capabilities then you will get outstanding results. Although I believe the Nautilus is vastly improved over the Kronos with its stock samples and presets, I didn't tested it yet.

We aren’t on the FA series anymore. The Fantom O series has the full tonewheel engine from the 2019 Fantom, which has onscreen drawbars and controls. The O is also compatible with Roland’s ABM Model expansions.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, hag01 said:

And still, the Yamaha Montage\MODX probably capable to produce the best sounds out of the box just with its AWM2. The sampled analog sounds are amazing, just as an example. I think the AWM2's All 9 Bars! organ preset sounds a lot better than the Roland FA's organ modelling engine for example. 

On 8/21/2022 at 9:10 PM, xp50player said:

We aren’t on the FA series anymore. The Fantom O series has the full tonewheel engine from the 2019 Fantom, which has onscreen drawbars and controls.

Yes, the Fantom-0 is a much better organ than the FA was. The FA implementation had no chorus/vibrato, and was hobbled by the effects architecture which did not permit separate rotary and overdrive effects. So yeah, despite the limitations of the MODX's sample-based approach, I'd take it over what was in the FA.

• Like 1