Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK5 and Mag Organ

BluesB3

Has anyone had the opportunity to play both the XK5 and any Mag Organ?  If so, compare and contrast.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

okay , i have not played on the XK5 , i've heard plenty of videos though . i did play on a MAG P2 . i am partial to the HX3 sound engine , that being said , the build

quality on the MAG is second to none , was blown away by it , the draw bars , the tab switches , fit and finish , including the output options . i don't see how the multi contact feature on the H.S.  is worth the extra cost . sound wise , the HX3 is much more analog and they amplify very well , not as fussy as every other clone wheel out there  . might be a function of the FPGA chip that they run on , that's my hunch . as far as build quality , i own a viscount live , which i like a lot , on phones at least , but as far as build , to anyone from my generation who can relate , viscount is like Lionel , the MAG is definitely American Flyers . nough' said 

• Like 1

I’ve played both. To be fair, I’ve played the MAG a lot more than the XK5. Even still, for my money, there’s no comparison. The MAG wins on every front. It’s so inspiring to play, right out of the box. The one I played in Europe recently arrives via shipping this week.  Can’t wait. 

the XK5 action is nice, but I’ve never been fussed about multi contacts. The MAG with the ‘worn-in’ light springs plays beautifully and I can articulate everyone how I like. Happy days!

I’m sure there are contrary opinions and that’s cool - whatever floats your boat. 

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I can't relate to trains... no...if that is what we are talking about.

Still trying to find out about any chorus vibrato improvement from HX3. I have the original module and chorus vibrato parameters drive me nuts! So many things to screw it up wheras my Viscount and even Numa 1 have luscious CV.

Love the Viscount BC emulation also. More shallow CV....a welcome variation. Wish HX3 has something like it.

5 hours ago, bill bosco said:

output options

What are they exactly? To be more specific, I'm wondering if the L/R outputs can be configured as hi/low with the crossover/split point being the same as a 122. The Crumar Mojo had that option, and AFAIK, no other builder has picked up on that since.

The standard outputs are balanced jacks. Options include 122/147 6 pin connectors and 11-pin. I got the 122 6 pin and 11-pin. There’s space for two Leslie connectors. They’re inexpensive compared to buying an 1122 kit from HS or a Trek pedal. 

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

1 hour ago, LX 88 said:

Still trying to find out about any chorus vibrato improvement from HX3. I have the original module and chorus vibrato parameters drive me nuts! So many things to screw it up wheras my Viscount and even Numa 1 have luscious CV. Love the Viscount BC emulation also. More shallow CV....a welcome variation. Wish HX3 has something like it.

My MAG C2 has the latest version of the HX3 engine (HX3.5) with the latest firmware (v5.7), and the sound and tweakability of the chorus vibrato (and things like percussion and keyclick) are among the many things that make it a winner for me. The chorus vibrato has that that classic purr and shimmer, and there are 16 adjustable parameters, some of which are fairly subtle and should only be tweaked if you know what you are doing, although if you mess it up, you can always restore the factory settings. The modulation depth and the wet/dry mix are the main parameters I have tweaked a bit.

• Like 1

Right, but they're standard L/R, I assume. Having the capability to switch them to hi/low - like a Leslie - would be a useful option. I've never been a fan of hearing an organ - whether a clone or a real one - bouncing back & forth from left to right in a mix. Makes them all sound kinda fake to me. JMHO... 

I prefer hi & low, and with some creative panning the organ travels through the stereo field organically (no pun intend) depending on which register is dominant at any given moment. At least that's how it is when I mic my Leslie. But having the option of doing that direct with a MAG or a Legend would be a plus.

Again... JMHO...YMMV.

5 hours ago, Paul Harrison said:

My MAG C2 has the latest version of the HX3 engine (HX3.5) with the latest firmware (v5.7)

Paul,- thx for the info.

The P2 offers an FX insert and I´d like to know where it sits,- technically.

Is it pre internal leslie sim or is it pre- Neo Mini-Vent II ?

Is the FX insert still available when ordering the P2 w/o Neo Mini Vent II ?

I fancy w/ the P2 since some time.

I hope I can afford it next future and even we have very difficult and expensive times in europe.

The P2 might be way more expensive now.

☺️

A.C.

18 hours ago, Al Coda said:

... The P2 offers an FX insert and I´d like to know where it sits,- technically.

Is it pre internal leslie sim or is it pre- Neo Mini-Vent II ?

Is the FX insert still available when ordering the P2 w/o Neo Mini Vent II ?

The effects loop and Mini Vent are available on all MAG models, along with other options including standard or light keybed springs, 6-, 9- or 11-pin Leslie interfaces, and custom timber side panels.

Mine is configured like this: HX3 > Effects loop > onboard Reverb > onboard MIni Vent.

I normally use the effects loop for a Lounsberry Tall & Fat overdrive unit, which enables me to use a combination of the HX3's internal overdrive, the T&F in the effects loop, and the Mini Vent's overdrive all at the same time. Each overdrive has its own characteristics, and they blend well.

As the brand name ("MAG Custom Organs") suggests, if you have a special requirement, Max will make it happen if he can. 

9 hours ago, Paul Harrison said:

Mine is configured like this: HX3 > Effects loop > onboard Reverb > onboard MIni Vent.

When you say "HX3",- is the FX loop pre- HX3 leslie sim ? (not pre- MiniVent !)

The HX3 board doesn´t allow unlimited flexibility,- the HX3 expander module, using the same mainboard, doesn´t offer the FX loop at all,- that´s why I´m asking.

So I wonder if it is ...

1.)

HX3 organ engine (drawbars w/ perc. & C/V and preamp-sim) dry-out > FX loop > HX3 leslie sim > onboard reverb

or,- when you´re able to select onboard reverb pre/post leslie sim ...

2.)

HX3 organ engine dry-out as above > FX loop > onboard reverb > HX3 leslie sim.

I´m asking because I don´t want the Neo Vent !

☺️

A.C.

Al, the Effect Loop is placed before the internal reverb and the Vent, and it's not available on the HX3 rotary signal since there is no return path for an analog signal to the HX3 board.  The reverb is on a separate module on the MAG proprietary Extension Board which in its latest version, through an internal switch, allows to assign the reverb to the rotary outs (multipin fot Leslie(s) and Vent) or to the Organ Direct jack, in this case with an additional mixer channel or a small amp you can emulate the RV Series Leslies that have the reverb on a stationary speaker 

Max

MAG Custom Organs

12 hours ago, ghiromax said:

Al, the Effect Loop is placed before the internal reverb and the Vent, and it's not available on the HX3 rotary signal since there is no return path for an analog signal to the HX3 board.  The reverb is on a separate module on the MAG proprietary Extension Board which in its latest version, through an internal switch, allows to assign the reverb to the rotary outs (multipin fot Leslie(s) and Vent) or to the Organ Direct jack, in this case with an additional mixer channel or a small amp you can emulate the RV Series Leslies that have the reverb on a stationary speaker 

Max

so the effect loop must also be before the stationary signal to the 11 pin / or 122 socket ?