Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using a Juno DS as a master keyboard

Asking this question for a friend of mine who has a Juno DS76 and wants to use an iPad running VB3m with it to have some better organ sounds, he's happy with the rest of the sounds he's getting out of the board.  Does the DS76 have any way to set up zones in a studio set to control external devices?  I've read through the manual and it is not clear as to what exactly the parameters each zone has, as per usual with Roland's manuals.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be done. It's not as easy as 123 but if you already know how to edit a performance you can select part 3 through 16 and scroll laterally through the pages and set the key range, turn the keyboard off of playing the sound that's internally selected. The tools are all there I believe.

Edit. You may have to go into the system menu and set the RX/TX midi channel to match what midi channel your external zone is. If that's the case you will get one external zone. 

FunMachine.

37 minutes ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

It can be done. It's not as easy as 123 but if you already know how to edit a performance you can select part 3 through 16 and scroll laterally through the pages and set the key range, turn the keyboard off of playing the sound that's internally selected. The tools are all there I believe.

Edit. You may have to go into the system menu and set the RX/TX midi channel to match what midi channel your external zone is. If that's the case you will get one external zone. 

Ok thanks, I'll run it by my friend and see what he thinks, he wants to keep his rig to one board, so it seems like he might have to get something else.  It's a shame, since he enjoys playing the DS and likes most of its internal sounds, he just wants some better B3s for the songs that require them.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

On the Juno DS, it's not called a Studio Set, it's called a Performance, and yes, you can set it to transmit on different MIDI channels on demand, or set up different Performances to transmit (or not) on a given MIDI channel. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

41 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

On the Juno DS, it's not called a Studio Set, it's called a Performance, and yes, you can set it to transmit on different MIDI channels on demand, or set up different Performances to transmit (or not) on a given MIDI channel. 

So it can be used as a multi-zone master controller?

37 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

So it can be used as a multi-zone master controller?

I was really only addressing the part about being able to play VB3m. I'm not sure whether it zones (i.e. can play different external sounds over different key ranges). Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to designate MSB/LSB/PC (bank and program changes) to be sent. It's not a board I'd recommend as a master controller, but you can still have it transmit on desired MIDI channels as needed, which may be all that's needed here.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)