Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boards stacked close together or far apart

I've used 2 and 3-keyboard stacks in the past, and still occasionally use an L setup.  Height and spacing between each keyboard doesn't bother me too much as long as my wrists are nice and straight on each board, and I'm not reaching too much.  For me, comfort is key.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

On 6/7/2022 at 1:16 PM, AnotherScott said:

Anyone else finding themselves less dogmatic about how boards "should" be set up than they used to be?

I will honestly say I’ve never been overly dogmatic about how boards should be set up other than a general rule of “ergonomics trumps aesthetics”.

But if I were forced to be pedantic about it, I’m more in favour of the “higher and less deep” approach your newer rig is sporting.

• Like 1

I always liked the way the old Invisible Stand allowed 2 keyboards to be stacked very close together. I'm generally not too picky about keyboard placement either, as long as I feel comfortable playing. I guess I would also prefer "higher but less deep" over the opposite, given the choice. (My current stand doesn't give me a choice anyway, so I've learned to like "higher but less deep" anyway, just by default).

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

7 hours ago, erik_nie said:

Why do all keyboard have their screen so high, I would put most used functions (knobs/screen) as close to the keyboard as possible to allow stacking....

I have a suspicion that manufacturers either *hate* gigging musicians and/or they believe their KB(s) will be the only one in the studio or onstage.  They clearly do not intend for their KB to be on the bottom of a stack especially not on a dimly lit stage.😁😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 6/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, CyberGene said:

I don't agree with that. Have you seen how long it takes for concert pianists to set the height and placement of their piano bench in concerts? That's because having the proper height and angle of your forearms is crucial for the given piano height which is of course flat and fixed. Now imagine putting one or even two keyboard above the main one. There's simply no way you can play them optimally by just placing them flat and further away from you. Intuitively, you should rotate only your arm at the shoulder and maintain the 90-degree angle in your elbow as well as wrist/forearm angle and thus the other keyboards should be angled and be placed around the circle your arms do when rotated at your shoulder. Of course that's not possible, especially with big synths and workstations but at least some approximation should be sought IMO.

No Sorry.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com