Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD-88…can it be played from an external keyboard? - YES!

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Any midi keyboard must use the class-compliant driver to connect to an iOS device since as I understand, iOS doesn't allow for custom drivers.

Also, the audio-over-USB feature of the RD-88 sends the RD-88's audio over USB to a connected computer, correct? So how would an iOS device be connected to the RD-88's USB port if the keyboard's port was being used to connect to a computer?

Just to clarify, we're not in any way talking about a feature Yamaha keyboards have that mixes the audio from a connected iOS device with the keyboard's own audio? Too many questions for a Monday morning, sorry! I'm glad that at least I figured out the issue with getting the A800 to play the RD88; that's quite an undocumented feature.

It was a little while ago since I tried this but I recall that audio flows from the PC to the RD-88.  The RD-88 does have ability to mix this with its own sound via the line out jacks and/or its own speakers. I don't remember getting the RD-88 sound to travel via USB to the PC. This was all through the USB-B port in the RD-88, not the USB A port we have been taking about. 

When using the ipad, it wasn't possible to get the audio sent from the ipad so I couldn't use sound sources in the ipad to mix with the RD-88. The generic driver only transmits midi. 

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

how would an iOS device be connected to the RD-88's USB port if the keyboard's port was being used to connect to a computer?

Would it work via a USB hub. Hub plugs into computer, ipad and Rd-88 plug in to the hub?

Not actually tried both pc and ipad at the same time but would expect it to work. 

1 hour ago, Ibarch said:

Would it work via a USB hub. Hub plugs into computer, ipad and Rd-88 plug in to the hub?

Not actually tried both pc and ipad at the same time but would expect it to work

Isn't the end of the USB cable from the iPad a USB-B connector? How does that plug into a hub, or a computer for that matter? I'm talking the older iPads with lightning ports that use the CCK. Maybe the newer ones and the Pros that use USB-C ports have this worked out.

I've plugged a hub into the CCK hooked up to my iPad, then connected my A800 and an external audio interface (MOTU MicroBook IIc) to the hub, and it worked; I could play instruments in my iPad from the A800, and the audio from the iPad came out the MOTU. I'm not sure how you'd get a computer into this mix.

For what is worth, my fp-90x will also connect to another keyboard through the usb type A connector on the fp-90x and exchange midi data.

I suspect the current crop of recent Roland’s might have the same feature of being able to be a usb host for midi.