Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guild makes some wonderful guitars...

Formed in 1952 by Alfred Dronge, and headquartered in Oxnard, CA, Guild is certainly recognizable as making some really beautiful guitars. Along with Gretsch and Fender, back in the Sixties, if you were a guitarist, you had to have recorded using a Guild.

I have heard many, many good things about Guild acoustic guitars and thought I might need some help.

A lot of them are very very expensive, but some of the cheapest I have seen are somewhere between $400 and $600. That's a decent enough price.

Martin and Ovation also make some pretty good 12 string acoustic guitars. Guild is also pretty good on basses, electric guitars and acoustic 12 string guitars.
I just love the shimmering, shimmering sound of 12 strings. The strings harmonize very well. Very flatwound sounding strings.

Part of the reason why I want a Guild 12 string acoustic is because Roger Hodgson of Supertramp uses them on his solo tours. He must really like Guild instruments. Tom Petty, Peter Cetera, David Gilmour and Stevie Ray Vaughan also used to play Guild back when they had 12 string guitars. Guild is also more well known for making electric guitars: Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead both used Guild during the Dead's early years, Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles plays a Guild Starfire XII 12 string electric guitar (though she no longer uses it due to it being too valuable to take on the road), and John Lennon of The Beatles is also well known for playing the Starfire XII:

image.png.9490f87fb4b0d4e5d05e6acebd5e8199.png

I currently own a First Act Acoustic guitar (which has 2 strings broken off of it, so I guess it can now be converted to a 4 string acoustic tenor guitar.)
I also own a natural finish Epiphone acoustic guitar that I received from my mother as a Christmas present. My friend Ben also owns an Epiphone J200 acoustic guitar. I've heard that Guild acoustic guitars are better played with a natural finish, but I have also seen black and sunburst colored guitars.

If you agree that I should ask my parents for a Guild acoustic guitar for Christmas, please let me know. I have an acoustic amp. A few instrument stores in my city carry Guild guitars. I really wish that Fender still owned the rights to the Guild brand, because I thought that Fender did a pretty good job distributing the sales of Guild guitars. Cordoba Music Group acquired the Guild name from Fender in 2014. And Guild 12 strings are less expensive than Guild 6 strings.
As for the Guild Starfire bass, it's been used by such musicians as Thom Yorke of Radiohead, Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead, Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane, Maurice Gibb of The Bee Gees, Sheryl Crow and Chris Hillman of the Byrds, to name but few.
And if you have any pictures of a Guild guitar, I'd like to see them.

• Like 2

What matters now is finding a 12 string guitar that you love to play.

If that is a Guild then so be it. 

I would recommend you go out and about to all music stores within a reasonable distance and try any and all 12 string guitars that they have available. 

I have a long history of playing and owning acoustic and electric 12 string guitars. I LOVE 12 string guitars, nothing else sounds like that. 

I've played, set up and owned quite a few older Guild guitars. I had a Guild single cutaway acoustic 12 string for a few years, it was a fine guitar. 

Their 12 string guitars were a very good choice. I haven't played any of the new guitars in probably 10-15 years. 

The truth is, the Guild of today is intellectual property. If the owners understand and love guitars then it could be a great builder. I don't know, I've seen lots of incredible work done lately so I am inclined to believe it can be done and is being done. 

Do not overlook the used guitars, they can be a better value. Martin has some very reasonably priced 12 string guitars and they've always made great 12 strings. 

If you see a Yamaha, check it out. They make great 12 strings too. Here's one:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Yamaha/APX700II-12-12-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-117336173.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1ZeUBhDyARIsAOzAqQLNgyo7xidLxNdf8p8B5gWjQ23i-4q_3CAqUuqSL2VrrUlV0eJ0xwMaApshEALw_wcB

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

11 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Guild is also more well known for making electric guitars

Not meaning to argue- and you're not necessarily wrong- but the very first thing to enter my mind at the mention of Guild guitars, is their classic, vintage acoustic flat-tops, especially their 12-String flat-top acoustics.

The second thing would be a bassist I once knew who rabidly collected all things Guild- LOTS and I do mean LOTS of basses, but also guitars, bass and guitar amps, maybe even pedals. (His secondary mania was any and all things Bootsy Collins.) This was in the neighborhood of twenty years ago, so we're talkin' old, classic, vintage and collectible. If I knew where 'n how to find him, I'd gladly connect you- but, I don't.

Their classic, genuinely iconic 12-String flat-top acoustic guitars were always highly regarded. Often seen- and HEARD- tuned-down a whole-step, and quite often with a capo in place. The ones that I got to play now and then- though I never owned one- were quite excellent, some even fantastic. A high standard that easily vied with Martin and Gibson- a different but equally as good choice.

The various incarnations of Guild over the past what, thirty or forty years now ( :crazy: !!??!!) may be decent quality- or maybe, may not be, probably some of both- but THE classic and best Guild instruments were made very long ago- during the years of their being used in the classic, iconic recordings and performances that made the brand's reputation.

11 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

If you agree that I should ask my parents for a Guild acoustic guitar for Christmas, please let me know. I have an acoustic amp. A few instrument stores in my city carry Guild guitars.

I have not played any of the most recent Guilds! Sorry...

Nnnnno0Ooow, a lot depends on their budget... I'd highly recommend getting out and trying as many used, old and vintage Guilds as you can manage to, and going with the one that you like the most- that you can also afford. Choose one like it's going to be a lifetime commitment.

Since you (well, your Christmas shopping Parents) are going to be spending some cash here, and possibly a no small potatoes amount, if you're pretty certain that you're going to choose one from two or more at a given store, to help narrow it down and decide, tell them so and don't be afraid to ask that fresh strings be put on one or two to compare, along with any set-up adjustments like higher or lower action and relief. Don't be surprised if this will necessitate a few days wait- they ARE 12-strings, and they ARE a bit temperamental and "high maintenance"- and also, conversely, don't jerk them around. Don't insist on such service and expense on their part only to walk out and buy elsewhere. (I can't believe how often I read about someone trying a bunch of guitars in a store, and then they buy one online from someone else... !!)

9 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

The truth is, the Guild of today is intellectual property.

SOLID

TRUTH.

9 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

What matters now is finding a 12 string guitar that you love to play.

If that is a Guild then so be it. 

I would recommend you go out and about to all music stores within a reasonable distance and try any and all 12 string guitars that they have available. 

I have a long history of playing and owning acoustic and electric 12 string guitars. I LOVE 12 string guitars, nothing else sounds like that.

True and good advice on all counts.

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Further thoughts - do NOT buy any 12 string that "just needs a little work", be it a neck reset, top is bowing, etc. 

Just say no and move on. 

The thing that can "slip between the cracks" is intonation. Learn how to check intonation and bring a clip on tuner. If a 12 string is much out of intonation it won't play in tune and you will not love it. Bear in mind that a slight bit of difference in intonation of the pairs of strngs is fairly normal and a part of the sound of a 12 string.

I have an electric 12 string with a bridge that allows perfect intonation of all strings. To get it to sound like a "real" 12 string, I de-tune one of the string in the pair just the least little bit so it gets that glorious fullness. 

The tension that 12 strings puts on an acoustic guitar is much higher than on a 6 string. There are imbeciles who will put strings on that are too heavy and/or tune the guitar too high. Many nice 12 strings are now COREVOI = Cost Of Repair Exceeds Value Of Instrument. Your guitar tech will need to charge you a fortune to fix some of these and many will take the work in, come to their senses and leave it hanging on the wall forever. 

I've owned 3 Ovation acoustic 12 strings including a Glen Campbell model. Great necks, I HATE the bowl back, it just is not comfortable to have a guitar want to "roll" to have the top facing you, it will ruin your wrists for one thing. I only bought the last one to flip it, gone. 

There are some really nice 12 strings that were made in Europe. Goya (Sweden) made the Goliath model. A good one is an excellent guitar. Landola (Finland), not only made 12 strings under the Landola name, they also made Valdez and Espana guitars. I've had a couple of them in my quest for that one special 12 string. I liked them but moved on. WARNING! There are 2 Espana brands, avoid anything that does not have "Made In Finland" on the label. 

Still, bargains can be had and they can be great players and sound most excellent. 

In my opinion, all of the Gibson 12 string acoustics I've played had necks that were a bit too slender and quite a few of them used trapeze tailpieces, which don't sound that good or work very well on a flattop guitar. Taylor makes excellent 12 string guitars, if you are lucky one may pop up for a nice price but mostly they are pretty expensive (and worth the money). One of the beauties of the Taylor build is that you can unbolt the neck, remove it and either replace the shims to adjust the neck or replace it. 

Some older Takamine 12 strings are pretty faithful copies of Martin guitars and are worth consideration. There are LOTS of newer companies making 12 strings that I have not tried, try those. 

I ended up buying a Rainsong WS3000 in about 2008 and I will never part with it. By far the best acoustic 12 string I've owned. You won't find one and if you do, it won't be inexpensive. Mom and Dad will wonder why you didn't want a car. 

• Like 4

+1 on Takamine acoustic electric 12 strings.  A buddy has 4 or more that I have tinkered with now and then over the years.  They hold up very well and are all easy to play (even for non-12 players like me).  They will be easy on the parent's Xmas budget as they are great guitars for the money IMHO.  I always recommend new players consider Takemine 12's and Epiphone 6 string electric guitars.  A good bang for the buck IMHO. Good luck and good hunting MusicRulz! Find any brand that's easy to play and feels good to your hands and pleases your ears!  😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

I play some awesome Guild vintage pieces.  No 12 strings.  But I'm a Cordoba guy.  They have been great to me.  Fantastic support.  I would be very willing to try some new Guilds if it filled a need.  They have Ren Ferguson running US manufacturing.  They shipped a lot of the tools from Connecticut to to the new California factory.  Its probably great stuff.

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It has been said that Guild 12-strings are just about the only ones that can tolerate being tuned to E vs. down-tuned to D. I'm not sure if it's the overall dimensions or the bracing design. I have an Eastman 12-string and dare not tune it higher than D. The Guild reissue is on my long list, for sure.

• Like 2

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

My very first acoustic guitar was a Guild. I gave it to my sister for her high school graduation.

Many years later, I bought an M-20. One of my favorite guitars, and recently I bought the Junior Jumbo Acoustic Bass Guitar. Really full sound compared to any other acoustic bass guitar I've ever played, in spite of its diminutive size.

In the late 80's to early 90's, I had the Guild Pilot electric bass guitar and still envy the sound I got on recordings from that era, but it had a fatal flaw that caused me to sell it, which is that the headstock design caused all of the forces and tensions to constantly result in emergencies at gigs, with tuning pegs coming loose from the bass!

I tried to follow Michael Tobias's other designs after he left Guild, but none of them measured up to that Pilot bass, which now goes for a gazillion dollars on the used market.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 5/20/2022 at 7:41 PM, Mark Schmieder said:

It has been said that Guild 12-strings are just about the only ones that can tolerate being tuned to E vs. down-tuned to D. I'm not sure if it's the overall dimensions or the bracing design. I have an Eastman 12-string and dare not tune it higher than D. The Guild reissue is on my long list, for sure.

I have a Rainsong WS3000 12 string that has been tuned to E since 2008 and shows zero signs of distortion on the neck or the top. 

There is no adjustable truss rod, it doesn't need one. 

It has relatively low action, plays like a dream, sounds amazing and stays in tune for weeks on end, despite getting a good beatng now and then. 

I've played a LOT of 12 strings but nothing better. Our OP has budget constraints so I haven't touted them.

My Guild 12 string was an eBay purchase, I think you should play the guitar you buy. That Guild had the bridge shaved down and the neck needed a reset. 

I had fun with it and it sounded good but I don't miss it at all. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

My very first acoustic guitar was a Guild. I gave it to my sister for her high school graduation.

Many years later, I bought an M-20. One of my favorite guitars, and recently I bought the Junior Jumbo Acoustic Bass Guitar. Really full sound compared to any other acoustic bass guitar I've ever played, in spite of its diminutive size.

In the late 80's to early 90's, I had the Guild Pilot electric bass guitar and still envy the sound I got on recordings from that era, but it had a fatal flaw that caused me to sell it, which is that the headstock design caused all of the forces and tensions to constantly result in emergencies at gigs, with tuning pegs coming loose from the bass!

I tried to follow Michael Tobias's other designs after he left Guild, but none of them measured up to that Pilot bass, which now goes for a gazillion dollars on the used market.

And, they are making much lighter guage 12 string sets now, like 10-47. More guitars should be able to handle E. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 10:41 PM, Mark Schmieder said:

15 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I have a Rainsong WS3000 12 string that has been tuned to E since 2008 and shows zero signs of distortion on the neck or the top. 

There is no adjustable truss rod, it doesn't need one. 

It has relatively low action, plays like a dream, sounds amazing and stays in tune for weeks on end, despite getting a good beatng now and then. 

I've played a LOT of 12 strings but nothing better. Our OP has budget constraints so I haven't touted them.

Taylor 12-String acoustic guitars can also be tuned to Standard/Concert-Pitch, Taylor even says so, and that's been so for decades.

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ah yes, I had a Taylor 12-string for a few years and it had no trouble with standard tuning -- perhaps due to the bolt-on neck?

Ultimately, I didn't like the tonal balance, but at the time I bought it, choices were few and I initially bought a Larivee that I returned for the Taylor. How tastes change!

I have noticed lighter gauges coming on the market lately. I'm seeing some innovation in the even rarer Baritone Acoustic department of late as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I'm seeing some innovation in the even rarer Baritone Acoustic department of late as well.

Oh Lordy, don't get me started. 

This morning somebody posted an Alvarez 8 string baritone guitar on our local craigslist. 

The 3rd and 4th strings have octave courses. 

I. Want. It!!!! 

Would be a monster open mic or solo gig guitar, the hugeness and the chime both. I don't have $600 right now or it would be mine. 

So it goes...

• Like 2
  • Love 1