Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Yc series output for LH bass

So after nearly 20 years of gigs with MainStage I fancy going all hardware with a YC73. 

But- I often play LH bass and used a separate send on my sound card for FOH. 

Can the YC be hard panned so I can have mono bass on the left out and all the keys on the right out so the sound engineer can mix totally independently?

Thanks. 

• Like 1

The workaround discussed (which I never tried) is to use the Auto Pan effect, and set the rate to 0, and set the depth at one extreme or the other, which is supposed to "fix" the sound to one side or the other. But apparently it is not saved that way in the Live Set, so when you recall the patch, it doesn't automatically come up that way, and you have to set it again. But yes, this is a real and significant limitation for people considering one of these boards for a LH bass scenario.

There is a request for this feature at ideascale, you can upvote it at https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/c/idea/251456

In the mean time, the "most portable" solution is to use the MIDI zone function to get your bass sound out of an iPhone or iPad, which will have its own output.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, a small module is another great way to go (cleaner connectivity, too). I wish there were more of them to choose from, but Sonic Cell is a good one. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 5/17/2022 at 1:56 AM, Hobo said:

Ah that’s a shame. Isn’t there a work around- is there no individual patch pan setting? Or was that the work around using the stereo Tremelo I seem to remember… shame. 

The Roland JX-08 module has been my solution to the YC's synth shortcomings, a lot of fake-analog synth for the money, in a small package!

But I'll let you in on a secret. I've used everything for live synth bass over the years - Moogs, DSI, Roland, Arturia, Korg, Hammond, Alesis, Yamaha, ARP, plugins, bass guitar samples...and the winner?
The Roland SH-2. Find one, buy it, trust me. They're not overpriced (yet) and when fixed up is pretty reliable for a vintage analog.

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16