Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Avid Tiers of ProTools Spring 2022

4 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

What do you expect from a guitar player?  :duck:

I will sit on your lawn and play Louie Louie on an out of tune 12 string for 3 weeks!!!!!!

• Haha 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 5/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, Dr Nursers said:

Old Shouty Rick Beato here makes me want to gouge my eyes out and I sure as hell would avoid him like the plague if he turned up a BBQ, but his points are valid :thu:

I'm confused. That video isn't Rick Beato.

I noticed more and more people saying stuff about Rick Beato, but really, the guy doesn't seem to bother me so far. What about him do you find bothersome, out of curiosity?

Yea that is so obviously NOT Rick Beato; It's Barry Johns. He announces his name at the beginning of all his videos. Not to mention "Barry Johns Studio Talk" is the name of his channel and displayed under the video.

I don't watch Rick's theory vids but his interviews are imo excellent, and we share a lot of the same opinions as to the state of the music biz these days. Maybe it's because we're close to the same age and have many of the same musical influences and tastes.

29 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Yea that is so obviously NOT Rick Beato; It's Barry Johns. He announces his name at the beginning of all his videos. Not to mention "Barry Johns Studio Talk" is the name of his channel and displayed under the video.

I don't watch Rick's theory vids but his interviews are imo excellent, and we share a lot of the same opinions as to the state of the music biz these days. Maybe it's because we're close to the same age and have many of the same musical influences and tastes.

Rick Beato's opinions are usually quite positive, and quite balanced. 

Mostly, I hear people mocking him, thinking, "I'll bet Rick Beato has an opinion on this song!" or something like that. But I don't know, I like the guy, and he seems like he would be really cool to hang out with! I really enjoy how enthusiastic he is about music too. The guy seems really into it, and that's hard to fake.

• Like 1

I applaud Beato’s YouTube success.  He’s developed a following and landed some of the best interviews ever.  Interviews with great players and song writers who obviously dig what he’s doing as well. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I noticed more and more people saying stuff about Rick Beato, but really, the guy doesn't seem to bother me so far. What about him do you find bothersome, out of curiosity?

Since you ask, mostly I don't check in on his videos. I agree he is probably fun to hang out with. He is also an excellent guitarist in his own right. So, I'm more or less lukewarm on the topic for the most part. 

He is nowhere near as obnoxious or annoying as Barry Johns, not even close. In fact, he doesn't bother me at all. 

That said, I will note that he could have done much better on the 20 Weirdest Gutiar Solo videos. A fair bit of "not really that weird" stuff and some omissions that are more or less obviously way weirder than the things he chose. Yes, everybody is different and no, none of this is important in the slightest...😇

We discussed that a bit in the Guitar Forum. 

For some reason I've had no luck getting this link to start at the beginning of the thread but there are some interesting comments and not all of them are mine, although mine is at the end which is where the link insists on going. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think the implication was that Barry Johns is an old, shouty version of Rick Beato.

I really like the Wings of Pegasus videos. Informative, and the dude doing them isn't full of himself, like so many people with their "pro tips."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Oh don't worry I LOVE Rick Beato - I was more meaning the guy in this video was a wannabe who shouts too much. Rick is brilliant.

• Like 1

Cool! I really like the guy.

Kuru is right about that particular bunch of solos. Some of them aren't very weird at all. I do think they're all interesting, however, so that counts for something. But generally, I like his lists. With some of them, I try to guess what will be #1. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I went ahead and signed up for Artist. A couple of things are immediately apparent, compared to my circa-2019 version. I like the new look, and there are many more included plug-ins that seem designed to plug holes that Pro Tools had compared to other DAWs (better maximizer, SSL-type buss compressor, Fairchild compressor emulations, etc.). There are also two new instruments, in addition to the Air stuff Pro Tools always had. GrooveCell is a pattern-oriented drum machine plug-in with multiple outs and editing options, while SynthCell is a basic subtractive synth. It could have been designed with teaching basic synthesis at schools; it's not sophisticated but it's straightforward. 

I did the math, and figured that the cost of subscribing to artist would be roughly the same as buying the older equivalent and paying for updates every few years. The main question now is what gets added to a subscription over time.