Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI through DAW latency

I’m almost sure the answer to this will be Yes, but let me consult you experts 🙂

While having two boards connected to a PC trough USB and after setting up my DAW (reaper) so I can control one playing the other: Should I have an increased latency? If yes, is this bottlenecked by my CPU or other specs?

Tks so much!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Should I have increased latency?" 

Compared to what? Compared to one keyboard connected to your computer?

What are you hearing from Reaper or your keyboards that is concerning to you?

If you can give us some details about what you are hoping to do, how you have connected your gear and how you are using it, and what you are hearing, we might be able to suggest some things to reduce any apparent latency.

19 minutes ago, JamPro said:

"Should I have increased latency?" 

Compared to what? Compared to one keyboard connected to your computer?

What are you hearing from Reaper or your keyboards that is concerning to you?

If you can give us some details about what you are hoping to do, how you have connected your gear and how you are using it, and what you are hearing, we might be able to suggest some things to reduce any apparent latency.

hi, latency compared to using both synths connected using a MIDI cable.

I have a controller and a Jupiter-Xm, both connected using USB  to my PC and reaper.

I sense this route adds latency to the Jupiter (when testing the Jupiter doubled with a VST I hear the latter is sounding "earlier" than the Jupiter).

tks!

Midi out of keyboard 1 - into PC/DAW.  Midi signal routed to external midi hardware - which in this case is second midi keyboard.  And then what?  Is  the audio output of the 2nd keyboard then being recorded to an audio track in the DAW?  

Yes, there will be more latency playing keyboard 1 to trigger keyboard 2.  You could just play keyboard 2 if bothersome, or skip the PC/DAW and midi directly to the 2nd keyboard.  But if it doesn’t bother you or you don’t notice it, then does it matter?  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

10 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Midi out of keyboard 1 - into PC/DAW.  Midi signal routed to external midi hardware - which in this case is second midi keyboard.  And then what?  Is  the audio output of the 2nd keyboard then being recorded to an audio track in the DAW?  

Yes, there will be more latency playing keyboard 1 to trigger keyboard 2.  You could just play keyboard 2 if bothersome.  But if it doesn’t bother you or you don’t notice it, then does it matter?  

no, audio is going direct to my mixer, the only connections are the USB for MIDI from each board to the PC.

Find a percussive sound on both synths (assuming they both make sounds), record them both while playing the one you want to use as the controller for the other, and see how the transients line up on the timeline of the audio tracks. You can also record the midi at the same time in Reaper, correct? That should give you a pretty good visual indication of any latencies in your setup.

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Find a percussive sound on both synths (assuming they both make sounds), record them both while playing the one you want to use as the controller for the other, and see how the transients line up on the timeline of the audio tracks. You can also record the midi at the same time in Reaper, correct? That should give you a pretty good visual indication of any latencies in your setup.

tks, I did this and clearly there is a latency (higher than when compared to a MIDI connection instead of the USB). Please, any settings or hardware could be switched to reduce?

Midi info itself is pretty low throughput. The delay I think will be caused by whatever else you're running in your DAW at the time.

But considering that I play in Mainstage all the time with multiple keyboards and all the VSTs opened simultaneously...I don't think it's the MIDI connection that is slow, it's something else in your computer.  My live rig is so USB dependent that I have to use a USB hub and I have no problems with latency in my live rig.

If what you're having is actual latency, I'd look somewhere else to see what's throttling your performance.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff