Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JUPITER-X/XM firmware update 3.00

A whole bunch of updates and changes...but the big one is a completely restyled Jupiter-X engine, based squarely on the classic Jupiter-8.  What this means is that they’ve designed this model to "capture the ideal configuration of the ultimate analogue synthesizer". It has four oscillators, seven waveform types, panning, delay and velocity functions which they hope will “transcend the boundaries of vintage synths”.

Other V3.0 highlights include the extension of the I-ARPEGGIO where the available values have been increased, it’s easy to swap styles and change modes for individual parts and a very cool probability function has been added. The number of user tones and scenes has been doubled to 512 and there’s a whole new bunch of presets to enjoy.

Jupiter X update

Jupiter XM update

I've already revved my X.  Took less than two minutes.

dB

• Like 8

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Cool to see the Osc 3 and 4 sliders active on the Jupiter 8 model. Never understood the decision originally. If you're going to put four oscillator sliders on the front panel, model four oscillators for them. 

And they did. 

• Like 2

My Jupiter X arrived a couple days ago. Its updated to 3.0. All I can say is that I love this keyboard! It sounds good, looks good and feels good. So much fun!

• Like 1

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

• 3 weeks later...

anyone updated the system version but doesnt have the scenes updated?

My Tone list are ok and updated (I see the new Jupiter X model), but scenes kept the same as the old version...

sorry.. noob question... I just did a factory reset and it came back with all included. tks!

• 1 year later...

Just voicing some well-deserved love for my Jupiter-Xm.  Got it over a year ago to replace my Reface CP as my "always there on my desk" writing/notation companion, and for about that long that's all it ever got to do -- one piano sound.

But then, last month, I needed a handful of one-handed synth patches for a theater production -- J-Xm was perfect.  This month it's my VB3 MIDI controller for my Christmas service, plus doing yeoman work as a string quartet for a legit choir piece, and also subbing in as a Celtic fiddle/flute lead for a player that had to drop out.  All that handy utility has finally earned its permanent place in my Sunday morning rig, above a Numa X 73 and an iPad Mini.

Full disclosure, I've tried and failed a couple of times to grok the complex OS architecture, and that ZenCore stuff *is* dense, to be sure.  But thanks to the VERY helpful series of videos by Scott Barry (and Tim Shoebridge), AND the Jupiter-X Editor, I finally "get it" enough to at least setup up my own patches and scenes.  And finally the J-Xm is spending a lot more time in performance, than just sitting on my desk.

Some gear is (thankfully) plug-and-play, and the gratification instant; the Jupiter-Xm isn't one of those. Some gear takes a while to become useful (hopefully before you become frustrated with the slog, and trade it for something else!)  For me, the J-Xm has been like that.  It's taken a while, but finally I'm not just stuck at the bottom of the learning curve, staring straight up in despair. :thu:  Thank you, Roland.

• Like 3

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

IMO, the X-m is still one of the biggest powerhouse synths around. Yeah, the GUI/OS have some issues with, um, "fussiness," I'd call it, but its not at all fatal. What really matters is that its basically Roland's history in one box. That can't be overstated, as exemplified by Brad's use of it. I live in Logic and I have several Rolands in there, for sure. I'd miss the company's unique overall voice if I didn't. I had my turn at some fondly remembered hardware, so I made a point of including a few software versions. I'd modify some of the X-m's modes and all-white buttons; otherwise, its a superior Swiss army synth.

• Like 1

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz

14 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

Some gear is (thankfully) plug-and-play, and the gratification instant; the Jupiter-Xm isn't one of those. Some gear takes a while to become useful (hopefully before you become frustrated with the slog, and trade it for something else!)  For me, the J-Xm has been like that.  It's taken a while, but finally I'm not just stuck at the bottom of the learning curve, staring straight up in despair.

I was the same way. When starting out it is not easy to jump directly to the sound you want, search, or even bounce around between engines. But the sound! Nothing that size sounds that good. I eventually got the big Jupiter X and intended to sell the Xm. It is so useful for when you need a small keyboard to connect to a computer, dawless system, to travel, or just take out to the porch and play that I decided to keep it.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

You guys are making me feel like I should be spending more time with my JP-X and less time mixing/messing around with the guitars.   You’re probably right. 😏

I get that feeling just about every time I get a new soft synth these days.  So much power to be explored in so many of those bad boys.   🤔

dB 

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 2 weeks later...

Jupiter-X owners: can anyone point me to a useable tonewheel patch? I found just one on the XV model, but the percussion ping is loud and kinda annoying. I just need a simple gospel-y organ patch for playing a lot of long sustained chords; nothing fancy.  I’ve watched the Bonner’s YT video that demos a lot of bread-and-butter keyboard patches, including organ, but it’s hard to see the tone IDs.

(The Fantom got a tonewheel model in the last big OS update — sure would be nice to get that for the J-Xs…)

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73