Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio - Live Rig Pedalboard Build

Here is the finished product. Changed the configuration and added more pedals.  Wound up learning to solder and doing the cables myself. Still working on midi implementation with the iPad but it sounds good and should do what I want it to. Will be making custom cables to go into and out of the back of the pedalboard at some point.

Pros: fx from individual pedals sound great, its fun to have knobs and dials, iPad midi makes selecting presets super easy, could use this pedalboard with any keyboard combo technically including rhodes/wurly/clavs with a pre-amp or clean boost, or a B3 modified for 1/4 out.

Cons: expensive! heavy, time consuming to build, onboard fx for Nord stage 3 and Prophet are already pretty good, more potential for cables malfunctioning etc., standard or 500 series rack units might be better options, plugins or iPad apps will get you pretty close to this quality of sound

Signal flow is:

• Nord keys mono (or misc. romplers or vintage keyboards) to LA Lady stereo >> Ottobit Jr.>>Zelzah>>H9>>El Cap>>DIG>>H9>>Deco>>KL8 stereo input
  • Nord organ mono (or B3/clonewheel) to Lounsberry Organ Grinder>>TC HOF mini>>Neo Vent II stereo >>Atlas Compressor>>KL8 stereo input
  • Prophet Rev 2 Stereo (or misc. synth) to H9 >> Timeline >>Big Sky>>KL8 stereo input

Midi flow is:

•  iPad >> USB/MIDI adapter >> Conduit 5 Pin  >> Conduit TRS to Deco, DIG (TS mode), El Cap (TS Mode), Zelzah, Ottobit Jr.
  • Conduit 5 Pin out >> H9 Keys 1 >>  Neuro Hub 5 Pin in  >> Neuro HUB TRRS to La Lady & Atlas Compressor 
  • Neuro Hub 5 Pin out >> H9 Keys 2 >> H9 Synth 1 >> Timeline >> Big Sky

68791882704__4162536E-2633-4DB5-BEB7-1A97FA7C340F.jpeg

IMG_0725.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

• 1 year later...

Forgive me if bumping an old thread is poor form, but I have some questions related to pedalboards.

Right now I have a Key Largo with the max of three keyboards connected to it. But what happens if I want to keep buying moar keyboards? I see that Radial also makes a 4-channel rack mount version, but it's $900 and only adds one channel above what I have. Is there something cheaper with more inputs that makes sense? I only use it for merging audio out from keyboards into one effects loop and from there to my PA speakers.

I was also going to ask about where to put the pedalboard, but I think the photos from benj2017 are probably what I'll end up doing. Has anyone found a "next to the primary keyboard" setup that they like?

• Like 1

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

7 hours ago, adamcz said:

Forgive me if bumping an old thread is poor form, but I have some questions related to pedalboards.

Bumping an old thread is never poor form, Adam. I don't have an answer to your questions, but I am subscribed to your YouTube channel. :cheers:

• Like 1
:nopity:

I suggest you use a „regular“ mixer to sum your 4 or more boards and send them to your fx. 
Maybe a Yamaha MX12 or something like this / smaller. 
There is a Tascam stereo rack mixer you might like, but it’s not on the cheap side. 

16 hours ago, adamcz said:

moar keyboards

Hough menny moar?

Is this for live use? I mean three boards is a sizeable rig, and I can't imagine bringing more than four, even to a "once-in-a-lifetime" gig. 

If studio/home use, then Key Largo is not the most efficient tool - its pedalboard form factor doesn't bring benefits. Look for a line mixer like the Samson SM10 (or Rane, Ashly for premium alternatives if you can find them) alternatively compact mic/line mixers like the Yamaha that @ImproKeys suggested.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

This is a REALLY cool thread! I must have missed it the first time around.

That pedal board from Ben is a work of art! I'd love to hear updates about how it's working and any additional add/modifications since the early days.

As for me, I keep just sustain, control, and Leslie switch pedals on my board...I keep the rest of the goodies tucked away in an offstage rack. I have one version for rehearsal and one for gigs.

5 minutes ago, David R said:

I’ve been seeing ads for the Franklin Audio SS6 switcher. Sounds like it is geared towards your needs, @adamcz, but I have yet to see or test one in person.

I don't think I want a switcher because I want the whole rig active all the time. Like Herbie Hancock surrounded by a space shuttle control center.

Look for a line mixer like the Samson SM10

Would something like that work with a stereo pedalboard? Maybe I use the L/R outputs to go to the pedalboard and then just reserve one of the inputs to take them back in?

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

26 minutes ago, adamcz said:

Would something like that work with a stereo pedalboard?

Thank you for reminding me. I checked: yes the SM10 has a (single, mono-send/stereo-return) FX loop, which means you can adjust the wet/dry mix. I'm not sure if the "Line ins" are wired L/R to act as a return - if not, simply return via a spare conventional channel.

Cheers, Mike.