Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alto TS 308 powered speaker vs. Alesis Strike 8 drum amp

HMMM...  Specs (watts, spl, freq. range), enclosure and size, and back panel layout appear to be the same. The Alesis Strike 8 runs about $40 cheaper new than the Alto TS 308 at SW and other vendors.  It looks like the Alesis Strike 8 might just be a rebranded Alto TS 308 or vice versa.  They're both made in China, like damn near everything else, and rebranding the same product happens all the time with Chinese-made consumer electronics. 

Alesis Strike 8 drum amp 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StrikeAmp8--alesis-strike-amp-8-2000-watt-1x8-inch-drum-amplifier

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Drums-and-Percussion/Alesis-Strike-Amp-8-Drum-Amplifier/3NVG

Alto TS308 powered speaker 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS308--alto-ts308-2000w-8-inch-powered-speaker

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Alto-TS308-2000-Watt-Active-Speaker/2FOB?_gl=1*j8thmz*_ga*OTE1MjA1MTQ5LjE2NTAxMzYzNjQ.*_up*MQ..

If the Alto TS 308 and Alesis Strike 8 are indeed the same product just rebranded, I would go with the Alesis because I'm a cheap bastard. As a long-time value investor, I don't always a priori accept that one gets what one pays for.

Thoughts, opinions?   

Edit:  FWIW I already have a pair of Alto TS310's that I scored a good deal on and am happy with them.  They may not be as good as high-end QSC's, Yam DXR's, etc., but IMO they're a lot of bang for the buck.  

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Reezekeys...  Yeah, I don't know about the internal speakers themselves.  FWIW...  The detailed specs for both on Gear-4-Music are identical (e.g, watts, spl, frequency range, etc.).  The photos of the enclosures on Sweetwater, most notably the base, appear to identical, as are the overall dimensions and weight.

But who knows... I was hoping a KC'er had had first hand experience with both speakers.  

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

13 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Here's the thread -- pretty sure Alesis and Headrush models are identical and that Alto is slightly different.

Thanks... I'll take a look at that thread. 

I use the Alto as a rehearsal amp for my Mojo and Korg Module.  Very impressed considering the power and weight. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I like the Alto TS308 for the money.  They are clear, loud, light and cheap.

I was going to order a pair of them for myself just as a more powerful monitor set in my practice room and had them in my online cart.  Then I ended up finding a used pair of DXR8's in mint condition, that were still almost twice the price used, but, you know, they do sound better than the Altos and the Yammys were worth it to me... but nothing wrong with the Altos whatsoever.

I don't think there is any other 8" speaker that is better for your use here until you get to the price point of EVZXA1 or QSCCP8.

I think those Altos are going to give you a big quality lift from Harbinger and similar choices.

Get the TS308, but stay away from the TX308.  The TX aren't really useful, in my opinion.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I’ve had Headrush 8” speakers and I currently use the equivalent Altos. For my application (small, medium volume pop gigs with a Radial Key Largo as input), the Alto is vastly superior - way more volume and clarity. There must be something to the different preamp. I loathed the Headrush…

Kurzweil PC4-7, NE-6, Roland FA06, MODX-7, Numa Compact 2x

Thanks for all of the info y' all.  I now have some food for thought. This is why I dig KC. 

I already have a pair of Alto TS 310's, so I'm aware that the Alto TS3 series is good quality for the money. I was looking for something more portable with the Alto TS308 when I stumbled on the Alesis Strike 8 which has the same stated secs (watts, spl, frequency range), dimensions, and enclosure design as the Alto TS308 and is $40 cheaper. 

FWIW the Headrush 8 also has the same stated specs, dimensions, and enclosure design and is priced the same at Alto TS308.

Having said all of this and not having access the detailed frequency spectrums for the Alesis Strike 8 which is advertised as a drum amp and the Headrush 8 which is advertised as a guitar amp, I suspect that the three boxes are tuned differently, each fit for purpose.  Also, I suspect, based on the labeling on the back panels, that unlike the Alto TS308, the Alesis Strike 8 and Headrush 8, may not have mic preamps for more gain.   

As a result, I'll probably play it safe and keep my eye out for a factory refurbished or used Alto TS308.  Yes, I know, I'm cheap and always trying to nickel and dime it.

Sorry for being anal and talking to myself in public but this is a follow-up to my query about the differences between the Alto TS3, Headrush, and Alesis Strike series active speakers.  As you can see in the linked YouTube video below, it turns out that Alto, Headrush, and Alesis are all owned by the same parent company, inMusic, and the three speaker brands are indeed pretty much identical with the main difference between them being in the input gain structures as discussed at ~3' 40" in the video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jh1ShRlT2s&ab_channel=expertisland

• Like 2