Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"What Makes This Song Great?" Rick Beato Ep.36 -- YES, Roundabout

Anybody else like how Rick deconstucts a song like this?

I've watched many of these episodes -- now I just might have to start back at #1 and watch them all.  I'm sure Rick has his share of detractors -- don't we all? -- but I am so impressed by not only his musical knowledge, but his ability to take a song apart like this, share with us certain licks or elements of the song (like "backward piano chords") and present it in such an entertaining way.

For sure, my life would have been very different if I'd been exposed to Rick and his channel (and teachings) back when I was a teen.  (Long time ago.........)

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My best guess is that he gets the stems for the song somehow, and that is how he breaks it down, but how exactly he gets those stems is a mystery to me.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

I love all of Rick's episodes...  I wish he and YouTube were around when I was first learning these songs in the 70's.  I watched this one last night.... So much I had never heard before until Rick pointed it out and explained it all. Brilliant!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

And of course, my favorite...

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D