Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB Interfaces with more than 16 channels, are there any out there?

I've been surfing the web and looking for a USB audio interface of some kind that either has 22 to 24 input channels or has the ability to be expanded to 24 channels.  The only interface I've found so far that fits into my criteria is the Steinberg UR824, which has 2 ADAT inputs, so I can buy two older firewire interfaces that have 8 channels and ADAT out and use them as expanders.  Otherwise, I've yet to find anything else that fits this criteria.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Here's one with 32 mic preamps. Kinda spendy. There are others with different channel counts. Many of them have Line In channels as well.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SL32R--presonus-studiolive-32r-32-channel-rackmount-digital-mixer

Looks like a nice piece of kit, but is way to expensive for me.

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

I have been shopping for the same basic thing, and just purchased the heart of my new setup, the RME Digiface USB. I have older gear that I want to give new life (MOTU 2408 mk3 and Fostex VC8), so I shopped hard for an interface that would allow them to work as ADAT converter/expanders. Had my heart set on a MOTU 828x and was ready to stroll into Chuck Levins to get one, but alas! they are a victim of Siliconus Unobtainium.

Scroll forward several months, and a new ship is on the horizon...the Ferrofish Pulse16 with CV. 16 balanced analog IO and dual ADAT channels. Perfect! What to hook all this ADAT to? The RME!

I would welcome anyone who has done something like this to comment, but this lets me get 32 channels of AD/DA, so I can wire up my collection of synths and effects, for about $1800.

8 hours ago, GotKeys said:

Looks like a nice piece of kit, but is way to expensive for me.

Me too and I don't need it at all. 

I've got 8 channels and it's plenty for what I do. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

43 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Me too and I don't need it at all. 

I've got 8 channels and it's plenty for what I do. 

The only reason I want more than 8 channels is for recording a live band.  By my calculations, I'd probably need somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-22 tracks, in order to have a full mic'ed drum kit (7-8), all the vocal mics (in my case that would be 5) and amp mics (2), and direct channels for bass (1) and keyboards (6, 3 keyboards running in stereo), as well as a spare channel or two for a sax player, some percussion, or an extra keyboard if the song calls for it.

I get it, been there and done that. 

More recently I've just put a Tascam DR40 on a tripod in a strategic location, turned it on record and let it run for the entire gig. 

We play one gig a few times a year, the club has a good PA and our singer is a great soundman. The results of recording live in stereo from one location are pretty darn good. We play mostly covers, if it was an original band that's a different situation as well. 

For me, I am much happier just playing the gig. If somebody else's band was paying me to record them that would be another subject. 

Setting up and tearing down the Tascam/tripod only takes a few minutes and is super simple, small and light. 

My interface is in a 10 space rack and it's heavy. I'd need a snake, a bunch of mics and stands and I'd be there way before the band showed up and long after they'd left. 

Good luck and enjoy!!!! 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah pretty much any of the Focusrite stuff (even the gen 1 and 2) units that have adat will allow you to expand the I/O check those out.  You won't be disappointed.  

Also the Behringer x32 units can do 32 over USB... If that's an option.

What's your budget? 

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

• 3 months later...

I'm late to this thread, but I am using a Zoom L-20 to capture 17 tracks at once, for recording our 7-person covers band live. 5 different people sing, we have 5 mics on the kit, 2 wireless horn mics, DI from an acoustic guitar, and amps for 2 guitars, 1 keyboard, and 1 bass. I don't really want to depend on any computer for recording a live gig. The SD card in my Zoom L-20 can be inserted in an SD card reader of a computer for easy transfer of all 17 tracks (in WAV format( to a computer, for post-gig mixing.

• Like 1