Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Controlling MainStage / Logic from iPad Live

Anyone using a usb-c to lan adapter in the absence of a wireless network with Logic Remote app and MainStage? 
Google showed me this…

https://www.ericwbarfield.com/blog/2016/11/21/mainstage-mondays-the-complete-guide-to-using-your-ipad-and-logic-remote-to-control-mainstage

Tips, tricks, caveats?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, miden said:

Not sure if this would work for your situation Elmer, but screens connect, can turn any iOS device into a touchscreen interface for your MAC. https://edovia.com/en/screens-ios/  no dongles required :)

This looks very cool, and useful.  But I’m guessing also mainly intended for WAN connected devices.  I guess I’m wondering how to use the iPad as a screen and/or controller for MainStage on stage where the iPad and MacBook or Mac Mini aren’t connected to the internet.  Could it be done over Bluetooth, or hotspot, even cable over USB if you setup a LAN.    

The blog post I linked suggested tethering the iPad to the Mac will work with the Logic Control app.  I need to test this out.   If it does, I wonder if Screens for iOS would as well?  

5831B9F9-AFD0-4F34-B4C8-620762AD8E56.thumb.jpeg.7a0d1448d4b199c32daa43cf50e054f8.jpeg

The reviews on that app say it no longer works with Mainstage, just Logic.

I’ve used Lunadisplay to pair a Mini with an Ipad, and it seems to work nice as a touch monitor. The downside is it uses a dongle. If you get a new Mac, you might need a new dongle, because it doesn’t work with adapters.

The upside is it uses a dongle. No subscription fees. And virtually lag free. It can connect the two over an adhoc network, or a usb cable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeD said:

Logic remote should work w/o networking if the iPad is connected directly to a Mac's USB port with a USB-C to USB-C cable.

I believe this also works with lighting to USB for older iPads.

correct

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I use Midi Designer Pro on my iPad.

I connect to my Mac wirelessly by creating an ad-hoc network on the Mac.  Very simple.   I can also connect this way and use Logic Remote.

I make use of this at shows to trigger our "walk on" track from backstage, among other things.

• Like 2

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

MIDI Designer also plays nice usb-c <-> usb-c as well as adhoc wireless network?

I'm curious if mirror screen/extend screen functionality in OSX would work wired and/or wirelessly.

Need to test some things out. 

8 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

I use Midi Designer Pro on my iPad.

I connect to my Mac wirelessly by creating an ad-hoc network on the Mac.  Very simple.   I can also connect this way and use Logic Remote.

I make use of this at shows to trigger our "walk on" track from backstage, among other things.

Glad to know this is possible. I could have used this on our last tour when I needed to trigger a loop for our encore song as we were backstage. I tried to set this up at one point using TouchOSC, talking to my Plogue Bidule setup, and could not get it happening. Looks like networking protocols are above my pay grade!