Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Numa Player

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks really nice. I like the layout. Very much like the Numa X and I recognise a lot of the preset names from my recent time with same. Free is always good. Going to try it with my CP73 over the weekend. If this works well I’d be more than happy to pay for extra content. I wish Yamaha would release a motif app along these lines. 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

The acoustic pianos have kind of a strange decay on the low notes. After about two seconds, they start to loop and a couple of them abruptly drop in volume at that point. 

Ravenscroft is still my fave iOS for clean, bright piano. Colossus is my fave for interesting character and holding out long, decaying notes. Pure Piano just doesn’t quite have the brilliance I seek and has a slight dynamic limitation for me, as compared to the other two mentioned in this paragraph.

It definitely needs some more time, but I like Numa’s pianos better than Pure and probably just slightly more than Module…even the Ivory ones. (ducking after that comment). 

I have all of the Numa sounds in my Compact 2X, so really probably won’t use these much unless I’m stuck somewhere with just a controller and my phone / iPad. 

Gotta say though, I’m really digging that Wurly 255. 

Well they have a couple of bugs to work out. 

Ya gotta be careful with the sustain. When the notes run out, it starts that CPU popping, then lots of notes start dropping; the new ones fail to trigger. It takes a good 1.5 seconds of no playing or no pedal to recover. I am on an older iPad 5th gen so newer machines might have different results.

It seems that when hooked up to my Numa Compact 2, the app is stuck on 48 mHz , which might be taxing my CPU so that it must run with a 512 buffer to keep the overload popping at bay. Too much latency for my tastes.

My Numa C2 has developed a pitch stick problem where it is very slow and laggy with direct movement and even without moving it, eventually the pitch starts to gradually slip and sticks out of tune. I had to go in and disable stick 1 on all of my presets on both internal a controller modes. It has to be done on every preset. For some reason, the Numa app still recognizes the pitch stick, when all other controlled devices and apps don’t. I cannot figure this one out.

One last nitpick, velocity curves…there are none, and the app is quite sensitive. 

It is terrible to complain about a free app, but I certainly hope they are working on updates to fix these. I’d certainly pay a few bucks to support their efforts to improve this potentially great app.

edit: A/B’d Module’s Ivory Solo Piano…WOW! Way better than I remembered.