Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Leslie

5 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Always glad to see companies continue to produce actual spinning horns

Agree.  I wish my back could support moving these.... 

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

5 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

I assume there is something about the physics/engineering of Leslies that makes elusive that sweet spot of portable size/weight plus sufficient volume for gigging.  My dream -- for practical gigging purposes -- is a 60 pound Leslie 860.

860_2.jpg.63ff6308bcdb57b79e86a73920f92ceb.jpg

• Like 1

Really if you can handle the logistics a 860 or 145/142 is the way to go. I have empty cabinets guys buy for road warriors.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

Yeah, real, more portable rotary speakers are very enticing.

I'm a big fan of the Motion Sound stuff; I played the old two-part Pro 3/low rotor cab combo in a band once, and I own the KBR-3D which is a solid compromise for a multi-board rig. They're much easier to move than my 147. But it's true, they don't quite sound the same... and also, it's still more stuff to carry.

But I'll keep an eye on this anyway. :) 

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Is there a reason that new leslies couldn't at least be "portablized" by manufacturing them in two pieces like my Motion Sound Pro3T/LowPro?  the Pro3T is 27 pounds and LowPro is 55 pounds.  My LowPro is on wheels so its just the lift into and out of the car.  At least in two pieces it is more manageable.  Not sure why these new leslies aren't offered in two pieces with a quick connector. Also in two pieces it makes it a little easier to fit and maneuver them into a vehicle.  Also the Pro3T had a low rotor sim, so you could just bring the horn piece and sim the low rotor into a powered monitor for quick gigs.  Great flexibility...

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Nice to see another organ amp. DD, take a look at Byron’s split road Leslie cabinets. Valhalla Woodworking. Top notch and prices aren’t too crazy.  Like a lot of guys here, I’ve stopped moving a real cabinet. 😄☹️

3 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Yeah, real, more portable rotary speakers are very enticing.

I'm a big fan of the Motion Sound stuff; I played the old two-part Pro 3/low rotor cab combo in a band once, and I own the KBR-3D which is a solid compromise for a multi-board rig. They're much easier to move than my 147. But it's true, they don't quite sound the same... and also, it's still more stuff to carry.

But I'll keep an eye on this anyway. :) 

I've got the MS Pro145 -- generally pleased with the tone but it is underpowered, especially relative to the schlep factor

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

I've got the MS Pro145 -- generally pleased with the tone but it is underpowered, especially relative to the schlep factor

opposite for me, plenty of power, (i mic'd the horn as it was underpowered in relation to the low pro) but the overall loudness was adequate even in my loud band. what i was never pleased with was the tone, the solid state amp made the tone harsh. i actually purchased a tube bass amp as i was going to swap out the solid state amp with the tube amp but ran into complications and abandoned the project (and sold the bass amp).

Delaware Dave

Exit93band