Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Paul Jones (not Dead…)

Came across this fabulous video of Zep’s Stairway to Heaven during their prime.  Love JPJ’s incredible Mellotron lines during this.  Not one wobbling note!  He was truly the best musician on stage. His arsenal included the Mellotron M400, Clavinet D6, Rhodes, and Maestro Phase Shifter…. Enjoy.  

10016B75-921D-42B8-9949-BA0439FB53B6.png

81C13726-CB24-4FCD-8E32-AD349227F223.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

11 hours ago, wd8dky said:

Thank you for that! It took me back to a wonderful time in our lives (wife and I). 

Yes, I saw Zep live during their first North America tour in the very early 70's. Awesome show. I always thought that like John Entwhistle, John Paul Jones was incredibly under-appreciated as a musician and was overshadowed by their flashy colleagues.  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

As someone who doubles on keys and bass, JPJ has been one of my musical heroes since I was 13 or 14. I truly believe he was Led Zeppelin's secret weapon (there was nothing secretive about the other three). His keyboard contributions are always so thoughtful and deliberate... and boy, he can lay down that Motown stuff on the bass.

I also blame him for my obsession with bass pedals and otherwise trying cover more parts than I should at the same time onstage. But he had a way of doing it that was solid, unobtrusive, and elegant. I'm still working on that part.

I also enjoyed getting to witness a more modern take on his Zeppelin bassist-doubling-on-keys-and-other-weird-string-instruments role when he, Dave Grohl, and Josh Homme teamed up for Them Crooked Vultures in 2009. I was always bummed they only made the one album, but they're all busy guys.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

JPJ is certainly alive and well and still making good music:

• Love 1

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should

Here's JPJ grooving his butt off at the 2007 Zep reunion at the O2. Some great shots of him working the bass pedals (in some very stylish footwear!). This is one of my favorite Led Zeppelin jams; I have covered it in a LOT of bands. That clavinet part is so much fun.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

16 hours ago, Polychrest said:

JPJ is certainly alive and well and still making good music:

This video is amazing!

• Like 2

and then you have this...  For those who struggle to play the M400, you will appreciate this.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, HammondDave said:

and then you have this...  For those who struggle to play the M400, you will appreciate this.

Thanks for sharing, I don't think I've ever actually seen a live performance of Kashmir from when he still used the Mellotron. By the Knebworth shows in 1979, he had the big Yamaha Dream Machine synth. Much like Rick Wakeman, he loathed the Mellotron for its unreliability and ditched it the first chance he got. Boy, the keys are mixed criminally low for most of this performance, though; makes the tune a little flaccid. I guess all you need to know about how important to the band John Paul Jones was is to mix him out!

Samuel B. Lupowitz