Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DVD's obsolete in 10 years?

There's no doubt DVD will become obsolete, but I think physical media in some form is here to stay for a LONG time. People like the tactile sensation of being able to hold the product. If that weren't the case, e-books woulda taken off many years ago.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Originally posted by Kcbass:

There has been talk about RAM(ROM) for years. I predicted all that stuff will be on a ole Nintendo type cartridge pretty soon. No skipping, no damage,(unless you sit on it). I just didn't write an article. :D Kcbass

No, you missed the point, KC.

Gates is basically saying that any removeable media will be obsolete, and I disagree entirely. These are the times that I wish someone would slap Bill Gates. ;)

I won't go into a rant on this topic. Let's just say that there are tremendous convenience and security factors here.

- Jeff

You are so right, I didn't have time to type everything. Ever had your cursor automatically go to "MY COMPUTER" and open it? Clonked my head pretty good diving for the modem on/off switch. I don't think they got much, I hope. Kcbass

P.S. That was without anybody in the room touching the mouse.

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Sylver:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Is this the same guy who, a few years ago, said something like "64 Meg of RAM is enough for anybody!" or something. :rolleyes::D

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

Actually, I think it was 640k of RAM.
Oooops! I think you're RIGHT! It seems like such a long time ago! :rolleyes:

Thanks Sylver!

:cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I still think computer technology is the biggest consumer rip off ever.

Can you imagine going into car dealership and buying a car - then the sales person tells you hey dude you need and engine and tire upgrade if you want to drive in on a freeway. That model only works on city streets without the upgrade.

Or the top of the line model will cost you have as much in 6 months.

Technology upgrades will never end period.

Originally posted by Touchwood Studios:

...Can you imagine going into car dealership and buying a car - then the sales person tells you hey dude you need and engine and tire upgrade if you want to drive in on a freeway. That model only works on city streets without the upgrade.

Or the top of the line model will cost you have as much in 6 months....[/QB]

and to stop it, you have to push "start"

Originally posted by nursers:

...I think physical media in some form is here to stay for a LONG time. People like the tactile sensation of being able to hold the product. ...

That's why marketing a physical key, sold at retail, will satisfy that consumer need. There might be some intellectual argument against it, but the first time a consumer buys this device (It could even be 5.25" round), inserts it into his/her player, and music comes out, their objection will be gone.

Originally posted by Phait:

"DVDs will be obsolete in 10 years at the latest, Microsoft boss and founder Bill Gates (news - web sites) predicted.

Asked what home entertainment would like in the future, Gates said that DVD technology would be "obsolete in 10 years at the latest. ....."

Article here...

Don't forget that the lifespan of every music playback system has averaged 18 years (the lifespan of cylinders, 78s, 45s as the primary medium). CD is due for replacement anyway in the natural cycle of things, and DVD has been out about 7.

DVD's will be obsolete pretty soon, but I think they will last for awhile in much the same capacity as CD-R's do now.

I mentioned here before, a PBS show where they had a clear plastic cube that stored digital data, and was read by lasers. I've been looking for some info and just found it here, Stanford team builds first digital holographic video/data storage system. "Their lab-bench demonstration shows that it would be possible to store an hour of video images in a cubic centimeter of crystal, using current technology." So a cubic inch would be about 2-1/2 hrs.

This article is from 1994. 10 years ago. Doesn't seem like it was that long.

The latest info I can find puts the storage capacity at around 100 GB on a single digital holographic storage disk, Tapestry , and even that article is from 2002!

So, I think we will still need, and have, some form of removeable media, I just think the capacities will continue to increase, and the size will continue to shrink.

Imagine being able to put 12, 100 GB disks of mp3's in your car, you might never come back home.

Sly :cool:

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Is this the same guy who, a few years ago, said something like "64 Meg of RAM is enough for anybody!" or something. :rolleyes::D

I thought he originally said ... 64k ???

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I thought he originally said ... 64k ???
It was the 640k DOS limit .

I have a 2GB flash card that is little larger than a bass guitar pick... a 12 GB card is available.

With current technology, the possibilities are almost infinite.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived