Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

Future injuries put aside, I'd still favor the Eagles for the NFC.  For one thing, they'll be at home if they stay ahead of the field (and a team like San Fran is unlikely to have a better record).  Dallas is pretty formidable if healthy.  My Vikes, I'll believe it when I see it.  This Commanders game away is a good litmus.  That's a game that a contender wins somewhat handily IMO.  They'll almost certainly lose in Buff and they have other tough games upcoming.

Jimmy G could win a super bowl, but it might take a 2000 Ravens defense and running game to do it (ie, Trent Dilfer with Ravens, Brad Johnson with the Bucs).  He's made some pretty bad mistakes at bad times so even those comparisons might not favor him.  San Fran so far is hardly dominant on D.

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

Jimmy G could win a super bowl....He's made some pretty bad mistakes at bad times...

The acquisition of RB Christian McCaffrey (CMC) adds another weapon to the 49ers offense. 

Having CMC on the field will allow QB Jimmy G to make fewer mistakes too.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

12 hours ago, ProfD said:

Teams like da Bears, Steelers, Panthers and Texans are clearly in rebuilding mode. They are 1-2 years from being more competitive.

The Rams, Bucs and Packers won't admit it's time to rebuild.  They are holding on to the to the belief that their HOF QBs still have something left in the tank. 

Brady* and Stafford absolutely still have the ability but not the team they had a year ago so far. The Rams' OL will stop them from going anywhere as it has all year. Rodgers' team has been woefully bungled by management too, but the diff is he is a shell of his former self. Frankly he was well on his way last year and it's laughable that he won the MVP. If they even have a winning record I'll be surprised. He's an ahole but I have to feel for the guy a little...first they piss away a first rounder on Love vs giving him help and now he has squat for WRs after they totally botched free agency and the draft.

The Eagles are the worst 8-0 team I've ever seen (they actually struggled vs the Texans, I repeat the Texans) but could make it by default and sheer talent. The Vikings are pretenders. The Seahawks are a curious team. They shouldn't be doing as well as they are. They aren't a SB caliber team but again in this lame NFC who knows. Same with SF. If SF does make it they will probably get slaughtered. And I can't believe you even mentioned the Falcons lol 

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

And I can't believe you even mentioned the Falcons lol 

Only mentioned the Falcons because they are leading the red-hot NFC South. 🤣

That's the wackiness of this year's NFC division. No idea of which average team will win it.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I thought Vikes would blow out Commanders today. Closer game than I expected. 

In any given Sunday news, the Jets are slugging it put with the heavily favored Bills. 😎

PD

Crazy about the Bills.  They can be dominant but they are not very consistent.  This Vikings team is not really blowing out anyone--they aren't as good as their record--but to their credit, this is a game they'd normally lose.  The Commanders have a good defense and many Vikings teams lack the fortitude to come back in the 4th.

I expected a close game and was 50/50 on win vs loss.   This new coach has them at a more even keel.  The last couple years of Zimmer were really dysfunctional (when you and your GM aren't on speaking terms, that's not good.)

All that said I didn't think the 2009 Vikes team was all that great at first and if not for the New Orleans Bountigaters might have won it all.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:14 PM, GovernorSilver said:

Instead, thanks to injuries they could very well field WRs Deandre Carter, Michael Bandy, and Jason Moore against the Falcons.  Who?   Exactly!

My prediction was a little off.   Josh Palmer recovered in time for the game.

Without a deep threat to worry about, the Falcons D had an easy job.  Thus, it was a mostly defensive game, with Chargers D allowing the occasional huge chunk play.

Herbert did what he could with WRs Anonymous, with Palmer logging the most catches.   Hopefully whoever is the GM come next offseason will prioritize this position without neglecting other positions.  

Running game wasn't great, but Ekeler made some clutch plays and Spiller spelled him productively with a 4.1 yd average.

This might be a season record for number of wins assisted by the opponent missing a FG but Bolts fans will take it.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

I thought Vikes would blow out Commanders today. Closer game than I expected. 

The Vikings are easily one of the worst 7-1 teams ever. Pretenders.

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

My prediction was a little off.   Josh Palmer recovered in time for the game.

Without a deep threat to worry about, the Falcons D had an easy job.  Thus, it was a mostly defensive game, with Chargers D allowing the occasional huge chunk play.

Herbert did what he could with WRs Anonymous, with Palmer logging the most catches.   Hopefully whoever is the GM come next offseason will prioritize this position without neglecting other positions.  

I am amazed they won that game with basically no WRs. And still no Bosa, right? 

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Jets showed that their 6-3 record is not a fluke.   They didn't win all 6 games by pure luck.

No, and they did beat the Bills, but from what I saw of that game, the Bills did more than their share to help. They are also not as good as their record and pretenders as well IMO. Meanwhile the Bucs edge the Rams, who are a joke and along with GB are IMO highly unlikely to make the playoffs (or is that stating the obvious?)

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

I am amazed they won that game with basically no WRs. And still no Bosa, right? 

No, and they did beat the Bills, but from what I saw of that game, the Bills did more than their share to help. They are also not as good as their record and pretenders as well IMO. Meanwhile the Bucs edge the Rams, who are a joke and along with GB are IMO highly unlikely to make the playoffs (or is that stating the obvious?)

Sorry I'm too lazy to multi-quote.

Yeah, Chargers have been blitzing more to make up for no Bosa.   One sack today was by safety James.  Another by LB Tranquil.  While Mack didn't log one today, he's proved he's been worth the price paid so far.  He's always contributing, every game.  Today he recovered a fumble and returned it for good yardage.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph above, I admit that I myself often fall into the habit of not giving credit to the opponent when my team loses.  I can pick out just about every little thing my team did wrong, but  I don't acknowledge credit deserved by the other them, because if my team did everything right, it should win 63-0 every single game.  😂

Pretty good game between the 2-TD underdog Titans and the Chiefs at Kansas City.

Matchup of ground-hugging offense vs. state of the art pass-happy offense.

Titans actually had the lead for most of the game.  But the Chiefs eventually figured out how to stop the Titans rushing attack, and caught up in a hurry, on the arm of Patrick Mahommes.

Colts fired Head Coach Frank Reich. Last week, they fired Offensive Coordinator Marcus Brady. 

The Colts have hired former Pro Bowl Center Jeff Saturday as interim Head Coach. 

While he was a great player with QB Peyton Manning, Jeff Saturday has zero experience coaching at any level. 

On several levels, this coaching hire will get interesting very quickly. 😎

• Wow! 1

PD

The Colts are a dumpster fire, it's fallen apart so quickly. Really from what I saw Reich sucked so that was no surprise, but the Saturday hiring was stupid. He has coached but only at a HS level. This year has become let's just see what we have and hope we can get QB Young next year. :) But they better fix the OL first, it's like record-setting bad. 

The Chiefs are going to run away with the AFCW even more now, with this latest round of bad news for a divisional foe - this time the Raiders

Waller and Renfrow going to IR

Chargers have made some roster moves, including claiming guys off of other teams' practice squads, but none of them are weapons who can catch Herbert's deep throws.  🙄  Their seeming neglect of the WR position would make sense if they're planning to sign one of the WRs on this list.

When are Pete Carroll and Russ Wilson going to move on past each other?  This spat over a wristband is kinda amusing.

Ahh good to see this thread still up and running after all those years. 

My take this season: I'm tired of Cowgirls fans saying "The Eagles have an easy schedule and they haven't played anyone yet". The Eagles like every other team are playing what the schedule gave them, they didn't pick it. They're getting the job done like any great team would do.

Cowgirls fans and all the haters want the Eagles schedule to look like this LMAO: 

IMG_0960.thumb.JPG.90ec5c8bf2843d52c36a6eb7b7202dc9.JPG

Not sure why they'd want the Eagles to face the Vikings, every game I can remember the Eagles have killed us. Or maybe that one horrible playoff game is the only one I can remember (well, and this year's game, which apparently was pretty one-sided.)   That just looks really out of place tacked on to all those other items, so I suspect I'm missing the joke :) 

Vikings are in a no-win this week.  If Josh Allen plays the score might get out of hand in a hurry.  On the other hand, they are known for having backup quarterbacks have career games against them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Keepitsimple said:

I'm tired of Cowgirls fans saying "The Eagles have an easy schedule and they haven't played anyone yet". The Eagles like every other team are playing what the schedule gave them, they didn't pick it.

Well they beat the "Cowgirls" and Vikings, so it hasn't all been cupcakes, but the Vikings are easily one of the worst 7-1 teams I've ever seen and the Cowboys were playing with their backup QB, so no, not a believer in the Eagles just yet...and the rest of their schedule is mostly pretty easy too. I just don't see a SB team when I look at them, but who knows. PS nothing against the Eagles and definitely not a Cowboy fan.

The AFC West, many thought that the entire division was playoff capable. Now, ugh. If anyone other than KC makes it, they won't last long. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

PS nothing against the Eagles and definitely not a Cowboy fan

None taken :) 

I think it's easy to judge and assume things when you're not a fan of a certain team and you don't watch their full games week in week out.... which is totally fine and normal. But when you watch their entire games and see how they "take care of things" when they need to the most, how they control the clock, how they dominate the front when it's crunch time, you'll know you've got a great team. It's the little things. Plus, that roster is LOADED with talent on all sides. 

But again, like i said, it's easy to look from the outside :)

Vikings vs Bills was an incredible game! I just couldn't believe Allen whiffed at the end or the fumble at the half yard line, or several of the most amazing catches I've ever seen etc. Vikes silenced a lot of doubters. 

Chargers lost a tough one, but with all their injuries and all the talent SF has on offense, IMO they should get credit for doing as well as they did. 

Raiders lost to the Colts how bad is that lol - serves McDaniels right, I hope he's fired soon. Maybe he could apply for the Colts' OC position :classic_wink:

On 11/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, bill5 said:

Raiders lost to the Colts how bad is that lol - serves McDaniels right, I hope he's fired soon. Maybe he could apply for the Colts' OC position :classic_wink:

Raiders owner Mark Davis has already committed to McDaniels through 2023 season.🤣

The Commanders pulled it together in all phases of the game to knock off the undefeated Eagles. Our offense made too mistakes for my liking but it's a win. 

There is no secret to beating the Eagles.  Containing QB Jalen Hurts is a tall order especially for defensive coordinators who out-smart themselves.

The real question for the Commanders is how long should QB Taylor Heinicke get to play before bringing back QB Carson Wentz.

My vote would be to let QB Heinicke continue playing until QB Wentz is completely, ahem, *healthy*.😁😎

PD

I think the secret to beating the Eagles is to be a 2-TD underdog - or close to it.

Then let them get careless - because after all you're just the underdog they're expected to steamroll - with stuff like fumbling ball back after a big pass play that should have set them up in the red zone, hitting your QB after he already took a knee, etc. 

Commanders seem to play harder with Heinecke, even if they don't always win.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Commanders seem to play harder with Heinecke, even if they don't always win.

I believe QB Taylor Heinicke brings a certain attitude and energy to the locker room.  Whatever he lacks in talent, he makes up for as a teammate.  That is contagious in a team sport. 😎

• Like 1

PD

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

The real question for the Commanders is how long should QB Taylor Heinicke get to play before bringing back QB Carson Wentz.

My vote would be to let QB Heinicke continue playing until QB Wentz is completely, ahem, *healthy*.😁😎

Maybe Coach Rivera is reading your posts?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35033980/commanders-coach-torn-taylor-heinicke-improving-carson-wentz