Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

I know, but it's nothing new. I shudder to think what NFL execs tell these refs (or subtly imply for liability reasons) regarding calls to be sure to make (or not make). Some of them are so glaring I don't buy that the refs just made a mistake, esp when they don't overturn it when reviewed. And Brady is involved in disturbing number of them. I recall a playoff game against the Colts years back, NE was just mauling Manning and Colt receivers and not getting called. Also a playoff game just a few years ago, I forget the details but it cost the Saints the game. Pretty sure it was PI related.

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

Did anyone else shake their head in disbelief at that Raiders vs Chiefs game? I couldn't believe the Raiders went for two at the end. Good call McDaniels!

I wasn't totally surprised given the modern state of analytics. 🤣

To be fair, McDaniels was playing with house money at that point in the game.   

The Chiefs can score points almost faster than a fart moves through a tornado. 😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Anyone surprised that Amazon Prime Video for Thursday Night Football viewership numbers are up around 11M?

It seems like the intersection of:

- football viewers

- Thursday Night viewers

- Amazon Prime customers

- Prime customers with Prime Smart TV App or Prime Apple TV App or Computer streaming

would be incredibly low. 

Mainly because Prime isn't a "channel" covered by the various providers like NFL Network is.   E.g  Concast, Mediacom, Youtube can't carry Prime Video. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

47 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

it's also on NFL or NFL+ because the club I'm working tonight has it on it's monitors. 

Practically no one in the bar is paying attention to this game, and they're usually a pretty spirited bunch. 

Amazon struck a deal with over 300,000 bars and restaurants to allow streaming on DirectTV for Thursday Night Football.

For individuals, it is exclusive to Amazon Prime.  Not even Sunday Ticket subscribers can get it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/23/amazon-signs-deal-with-directv-to-air-thursday-night-football-games-in-bars.html

This is probably a huge percentage of its 11M viewership stats, now that you mentioned it.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Speaking of Amazon football games, has anyone else noticed a disturbing trend? All outcomes so far have either involved a bad game or an injured quarterback.

In the season opener, the Bills blew out the defending champs in a game that only Buffalo fans could love. Then, during the Chiefs vs Chargers contest, Justin Herbert suffered a broken rib cartilage. Following that was Tua Tagovailoa's infamous injury, in which he was carted off on a stretcher against the Bengals. The next week, the Broncos and Colts vied to see which team could play worse, and last night's Commanders vs Bears contest was almost as bad.

Good luck to the Cardinals and Saints next week! I sure hope that TNF gets better as the season moves forward.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

6 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Speaking of Amazon football games, has anyone else noticed a disturbing trend? All outcomes so far have either involved a bad game or an injured quarterback.

Announcer Al Michaels is definitely earning his money especially when calling bad games. His dead pan one liners are hilarious. 🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

For years players have spoken out about the increased potential for injury playing football on Thursday nights - which was originally dreamed up as promotion for the NFL Network. The first thing that came up on Google:

https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/nfl-players-continue-to-speak-out-against-thursday-night-football/

Regarding last Thursday, that was just a hard game to watch. The conversation in the bar I was working that night was mostly making fun of the new name for the DC team. Commanders could take awhile to catch on. 

• Like 1

Great article, Bill. I also read Richard Sherman’s piece that was linked to in the article, and he made great points about why player’s bodies aren’t ready for Thursday Night Football. His arguments about why they’re more likely to get injured and less likely to play well make sense to me.

I wonder how he feels about being a regular part of TNF broadcasts now. Perhaps this part of his article sums it up:

“The last thing I’ll say is this: I hope you don’t think I’m complaining. All of this — the Mondays where you feel like crap, the MRIs, Thursday Night Football — comes with the territory. This game has given me the ability to live my dreams. We all know what we signed up for, and despite all the negatives, this game has allowed me to take care of my family in ways I never thought possible and to give more back to my community than I could have ever dreamed. I’m grateful for everything football has given to me. I’m blessed to be in the position I’m in, and I understand the risks. We all do.

I just don’t understand why the NFL says it’s taking a stand on player safety, then increases the risks its players face by making them play on Thursday, before their bodies are ready.”

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

A few observations after today's games:

The AFC East has zero teams with losing records.

The AFC North, the NFC South, and the NFC West have no teams with winning records.

Former last place teams the Jets (4-2) and Giants (5-1) both have winning records, and are each alone in second place in their divisions. The Vikings are also 5-1 and are two games ahead of the second place Packers.

Coincidentally, the Vikings, Giants, and Jets are the three teams who beat the Packers, who are 3-3. Also at 3-3 are the two teams who played in last year's Super Bowl: the Rams and Bengals.

Only five of last year's 14 playoff teams currently have a winning record. In other words, nearly two-thirds of last year's playoff teams have gotten off to a disappointing start, a third of the way through this season.

Best,

Geoff

IMO, the NFL has reached a point of parity that reinforces the adage of any given Sunday.

Last year's Super Bowl with two average teams playing against each other is indicative of where I see NFL right now.

On paper, the Chiefs and Bills are the most high-powered teams in the league.

The NFC has a few teams with winning records but they aren't dominant. 

Yet, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs, Bills or Eagles failed to reach the Super Bowl.

But, it's still early in the season. I look forward to watching it play out.😎

• Like 1

PD

The Chiefs are likely to win the AFC West again.

All their rivals made moves to try to catch up.  But the Chiefs front office continues to make the right calls in the draft and free agent signings, at a higher success rate than the rivals.  This includes loading up on depth, which is what really makes or breaks a team's chances of success.  Without good depth, your team is only a couple of injuries away from dropping to the cellar.  Stocking up on depth seems to be an arcane science - if it were so easy, everybody would do it.

The caliber of coaching staff is heavily weighted in the Chiefs' favor as well.  Andy Reid has been in the game for a long, long time, yet he continues to innovate and out-coach his rivals.  Spags runs a defense that may not always be shut-down caliber, but makes the big stop more often than not.  Bienemy looks like Reid's heir apparent, I get the feeling if Reid suddenly got sick for an extended amount of time, KC won't lose a beat with Bienemy handling the reigns.

7 hours ago, bill5 said:

A lot of teams out there not as good as their record IMO...Eagles, Giants, Jets, Colts, just to name a few. 

Not sure I agree on the Eagles.  They've looked pretty good in every game I've seen them play this season, and were murdering the 4-1 Cowboys on both sides of the ball last night until their all-pro tackle Lane Johnson went out, opening the door for (arguably) the best defensive player in the game - Micah Parsons - to create havoc.

They did seem to figure it out after the end of the 3rd quarter. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Chiefs are likely to win the AFC West again.

The caliber of coaching staff is heavily weighted in the Chiefs' favor as well.  

I also believe Chiefs will win AFC West. But, they will lose the playoff game or AFC championship game. They won't make it back to the super Bowl this year.

The football gods, er, NFL wants the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl. They will hoist the Lombardi trophy on behalf of the Bills teams that lost in four (4) consecutive trips to the big game.

8 hours ago, Mark Zeger said:

Add this to the long list of reasons why western NY loves Josh Allen. It’s immediately after the game. He’s a incredible player and an even better person. 

Well before his legend is cemented and career is done, QB Josh Allen will have the keys to western NY. Leading the Bills to winning a Super Bowl or two will seal the deal. 😎

• Like 1

PD

3 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I also believe Chiefs will win AFC West. But, they will lose the playoff game or AFC championship game. They won't make it back to the super Bowl this year.

The football gods, er, NFL wants the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl. They will hoist the Lombardi trophy on behalf of the Bills teams that lost in four (4) consecutive trips to the big game.

Well before his legend is cemented and career is done, QB Josh Allen will have the keys to western NY. Leading the Bills to winning a Super Bowl or two will seal the deal. 😎

The Cigarette Smoker been dead for a while though, so the road to the Lombardi should be much smoother for the Bills.

If they hold on to their lead over the Chiefs in the race for homefield advantage, I do like their chances.

Oh yeah, tonight is Chargers-Broncos.

Backup left tackle Jamaree Salyer so far has protected Herbert's blind side from the likes of Myles Garrett.  His run blocking has been decent too, with some nice runs to his side.  Granted, that was against a porous Browns run defense.

JC Jackson was the marquee CB signing but has instead emerged as opposing QBs' favorite to pick on, as he has struggled to recover from his ankle surgery and get used to Staley's system.  Hopefully his light bulb comes on before Russell Wilson's does.   With the Chargers kind of luck, this might be the game where Wilson has his coming out party as the Broncos QB.

5 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

With the Chargers kind of luck, this might be the game where Wilson has his coming out party as the Broncos QB.

I doubt it. They're already talking about QB Russell Wilson working through a shoulder injury. 

I know they want to win on QB Justin Herbert's arm but the Chargers should allow Austin Ekeler to wear down the Broncos defense. 😎

PD

3 hours ago, Grave Bryce said:

Not sure I agree on the Eagles.  They've looked pretty good in every game I've seen them play this season

Exactly. And "pretty good" doesn't win SBs. Anything is possible but when I look at them I don't see a SB team. They are erratic, looking great at times, bad at times. And by bad at times I don't mean in a rare exceptional way. 

52 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The football gods, er, NFL wants the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl.

They are everyone's favorite to win. Which is why it won't happen. The team everyone picks to win it usually does not.

Of course anything is possible. Even the Panthers aren't mathematically eliminated.   :) 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Exactly. And "pretty good" doesn't win SBs.

Oh, I’d disagree with that for sure.   Not every SB winner has looked stellar all year long, much less in the final game itself.

Besides that…you misunderstand me, brother Bill.  Can be challenging to express oneself full in writing sometimes.

As a rule, “pretty good” is about all I’ll allow myself to give as a compliment to a sports team I love.  I think too much chest-beating can result in a karmic let-down.  I completely admit that attitude is influenced by being an actual Philadelphian - some of us are known for our….shall we say…cautious skepticism. 😏

I actually think the Eagles look about the best I’ve seen them look for a long time.  I think Jalen Hurts is the best QB we’ve had in years.  AJ Brown adds another key piece, if for no other reason that the other WRs/TEs will be open more.  The ground game is fairly deep, Defense looks in sync and fired up (Cox, Graham, Slay, etc)…and I even quite like Mr. Sirianni. 👍🏻

I’ll probably regret writing this down, but to me it does look like they’re the team in the NFC at this point in the season.  Looooong way to go, though.  😬🤔

dB

26 minutes ago, Grave Bryce said:

Oh, I’d disagree with that for sure.   Not every SB winner has looked stellar all year long, much less in the final game itself.

No but it's a pretty good rule of thumb. Again anything possible. But I think you're looking through rose-colored glasses  :)   (PS I would be fine with them winning so don't think I'm something sick like a Cowboy fan; just don't see a SB team there)

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

No but it's a pretty good rule of thumb. Again anything possible. But I think you're looking through rose-colored glasses  :)   (PS I would be fine with them winning so don't think I'm something sick like a Cowboy fan; just don't see a SB team there)

Did you see a Super Bowl team there the year Philly won it?  If so, you were one of the few.

dB

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I doubt it. They're already talking about QB Russell Wilson working through a shoulder injury. 

I know they want to win on QB Justin Herbert's arm but the Chargers should allow Austin Ekeler to wear down the Broncos defense. 😎

I was joking earlier about JC and Wilson but this game really might come down to whether Wilson can pick on JC like other QBs have, or whether JC finally steps up.

I would not mind seeing another 230-yd rushing effort from the Chargers, but that would only be possible if they played the Browns every week.   That said, the OL has gradually improved since that beatdown by the Jaguars, and they've been using Joshua Kelley more than old man Michel to spell Ekeler.  Michel was getting reps at Kelley's expense without the productivity to show for it.  

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

Exactly. And "pretty good" doesn't win SBs. Anything is possible but when I look at them I don't see a SB team. They are erratic, looking great at times, bad at times. And by bad at times I don't mean in a rare exceptional way. 

They are everyone's favorite to win. Which is why it won't happen. The team everyone picks to win it usually does not.

Of course anything is possible. Even the Panthers aren't mathematically eliminated.   :) 

So, if not the Bills or Eagles, who do you see as Super Bowl teams?

Best,

Geoff

IMO, the Eagles are the most well balanced NFC team. 

Yet, while the Eagles, Vikings and Giants are riding high for now, the 49ers, Cowbums and Bucs could turn the tables on the back end of the season. 😎

• Like 1

PD