Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Electro 6D73 vs Yamaha YC61

RDM

Hi All (New here),

I need to ask for help as I haven't played these two great boards before. They are not delivering plenty in my region. I need a keyboard with Piano/EPs/Pads/partly organ mainly use in Church Worship but still handy/easy to carry. I have a Nord Stage EX 76 but too heavy for handling. Preferably 10kgs that's why I consider this two. 

I'm torn, as they have the same price range but Yamaha YC61 is new and I only rely on YT videos. Nord Electro6D has 73 keys. I'm looking for a keyboard, which I can use for the home studio on weekdays, and use for band worship on weekends. Thank you in advance.

----------------

Nord Stage EX 76, Roland RD800, Roland RD300NX, Nord Stage 2EX Compact, Yamaha CP73

Anyone considering those two should also add the Hammond SKPro into the mix, particularly since it comes in a 73 version, which you want.  The soon-to-be-back-on-the-market Vox Continental also comes in a 73.  And voila, we have ourselves a shoot out we can spend a couple days bickering over.  Forum bliss!

It's rare for all clone players to agree on anything, but when it comes to the YC61 leslie sim, there is universal gagging at the fast speed emulation, a problem that apparently the brightest minds at Yamaha are unable to fix.  The YC also lacks high trigger, which is not as critical a deficiency, but most Hammond players notice its absence.  Other than that, the YC is, IMO, a brilliant keyboard.  When I had one I piped in a software clone (B3X) through the audio interface, which worked beautifully.  Some people would ask why buy a spendy clone if it's just going to be a controller for a software clone -- a fair question.

Electro is a well-known instrument that's been amazingly consistent for many years.  On the down side, it's been amazingly consistent for many years, which for many people results in a syndrome known as "Electro ear fatigue."  Actually, that's not true, I just made that up.  Scott (no, not that Scott, another Scott) recently conducted one of his double blind clone shootouts on this forum, and the long-in-the-tooth Electro did surprisingly well.  Yes, you read that right.  Not only was Scott double-blinded when he posted the results, he was also driving through the Upper West Side.

For some people, the debate is over as soon as you say "Hammond," because anything else is merely a pretender.  I personally think those people need to get a life.  But I do own an SKPro and I love it.  The Electro and YV61 stomp all over it for piano sounds, but if you're buying a clone for the Hammond emulation, the SKPro is the hardware best.  Wait, I just realized, I need to get a life!  Also noteworthy that the key action on the SKPro is noticeably improved over the standard Fatar still used in the Electro.

The Vox is a quirky instrument with some passionate fans, and I am one of them.  The Hammond emulation is not on par with the others above, but it may well be good enough for the Lord's ears on Sunday morning.  The pianos, and especially the EPs, are brilliant and a joy to play from its keyboard.  The Vox is currently unavailable due to the fact that Fleer has bought them all and stored them in a warehouse on Cape Cod, a risky investment if you ask me given rising sea levels.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Ah ah, your post made me laugh quite a lot!! Thanks to you, I'll spend a nicer afternoon (here in EU) 🙂

Sorry I can't really comment on the YC and the NE6, as I'm part of the Vox Conti fan group, which is by the way quite cheaper. I think it could work for organ if one doesn't need all the features that are missing on it compared to a real dedicated clone (like the SKPro or even the SK1 which I own). But for APs, EPs, and also pads, as you said it's brilliant!!! I'm pretty sure it will available again soon, so Fleer can buy it in the Black version to complete its collection (and will be then able to store its EQ settings in scenes) 😄

• Like 1

You may prefer YYC semiweight synth action over the NE6D for piano playing if you are a piano player and playing piano parts is a priority for you.  You may also like the collection of bread and butter sounds Yamaha includes with the YC to cover a wide array of musical styles and the flexibility in live sets to split, layer.  

You may prefer the NE6D interface since you are already familiar with the Stage.   You will be shifting to their Fatar TP-8O action which some find tight and springy, better for playing organ less so for piano parts - depending on your background.  You already know what it is going to sound like - but you will be losing a dedicated programmable synth (also missing on the YC) and access to some parts of the Nord sample libraries.  

One should also include the Vox Continental 76, Hammond SK1, Hammond SKPro, Roland VR-730 to the mix for your purposes in the worship band.  If you are not picky about action and looking for something light and cheap. the Roland VR09 may do the job. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Each one mentioned has strengths and weaknesses. Keybeds are different, some are stronger for piano, some are stronger for organ, # of zones, ability to act as a controller and a dozen other things to consider (weight, # of outputs, reputation for reliability, COST vs. feature set, etc.).  All of these issues need to be considered so that an informed decision can be made.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I too find the Leslie sim on my YC61 pretty pathetic - which is why I bought a Vent to go with it. Huge improvement of course!

I like the YC61 keybed. Not everyone does -- partly I suspect because some folk don't like the slight difference is key width (Yamaha have always used 159mm octaves for their synth keyboards, as opposed to the 'standard' 164mm octave used by most other manufacturers).

I quite like the keybed action - even for EP or piano.  I was very surprised that Yamaha decided to use a weighted keybed for the YC73. 

The YC88 maybe, but I would have thought the 73 would have been more suited to an extended version of the newly developed 'waterfall' keybed they have fitted to the YC61 -- Still, I'm sure they know best?

The organ sounds on the YC61 are amazingly 'tweakable'.   Using them with different  amp settings, and  adding different drive levels and effects like the Harmonic Exciter .. I'm still finding exciting new variations  nearly 2 years on ...

Now if they can fix the Leslie sim -  and maybe add a high trigger? - I think the YC would be a real monster.  

It's been a year since the last update now .. though I'm still hopeful! :)

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

2 hours ago, Adan said:

... On the down side, it's been amazingly consistent for many years, which for many people results in a syndrome known as "Electro ear fatigue."  Actually, that's not true, I just made that up. ...

Well, may be you made that up but .. i am gigging with a Nord Electro 5 HP, and i use a Nord Stage 2 at rehersals, and i do start to feel Nord/Electro ear fatique.

I played around with a YC61, and the sound was refreshing, just because different ... but i usually play EP and pianos, very  occasionally organs ...

Maurizio

• Like 1

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

I too find the Leslie sim on my YC61 pretty pathetic

For the OP it really depends on how much he uses hammond organ in general with the worship gig.  The YC sounds great with a Vent by the way - as do most any of the models mentioned.  He originally picked a hammer action NE Stage 76.  But wants to go lighter.  Is piano the priority?  The YC may edge the NE6D on piano centric bread and butter to cover many styles. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RDMusic504 said:

I need a keyboard with Piano/EPs/Pads/partly organ

Sticking with just the two you asked about for now...

Piano... I like both, but I'd lean toward the Nord. Nord has a wider range of different available piano sounds, a better implementation of string resonances, and as you point out, the availability of more than 61 keys in a lightweight semiweighted board. While I do prefer the action of the YC61 for piano expressivity, the Nord's implementation is not bad, it's better than it used to be. If you're fine with the 61 keys, though, this could be a close call.

EPs... I prefer YC61 here. But people have very different preferences about their EP sounds. I play in a rock context, where the bark tends to be more important than the bell. So this is something that could vary a lot with playing style and personal preference.

Pads... I don't use them much, but if you're looking for pads that "move" over time (rather than remaining static), the Nord uses straight samples, and the only sense of "motion" or additional depth you can add to them is what you can do with effects (e.g. chorus). The YC would probably have an edge here because, even though it is still very limited in its "synth" functions, it at least adds a couple of capabilities that could enhance its pad appeal. One is that you can layer two pad sounds (any time you layer on the Nord, one of the two layers must be a piano or organ sound). Another is that, besides straight samples, it also has some FM pads. Lastly, it has a bit more in the way of envelope/filter manipulation. I don't think either would be top-tier pad machines, but the Yamaha would probably be a bit better. (I'll also mention that, while Yamaha lets you layer two pad sounds, if you want a third sound, it has to be an organ.)

Organ... As others have said, the Nord is stronger on the Leslie effect for Hammond emulation. Also, for church use, it could be nice to have the pipes, which is an option on the Nord and not the YC

Lastly... the YC61 is much better at integrating external sounds over MIDI. So if you wanted to add some pad sounds from an iPhone, for example, the Yamaha is much better for that than the Nord.

People have mentioned some other possibilities... Hammond SK Pro, Roland VR09/VR730, Vox Continental. Adding those to the mix, of the 5 total boards, I'd say Nord and Vox are 1 and 2 on piano (I prefer the sound of the Nord but the action of the Vox); Vox leads on EP; probably Hammond for pads (it has the most extensive layering, effects, and synth-style editing options); Hammond for organ (most realistic Hammond/Leslie emulation plus I think it has the best pipes). If the idea of being able to add sounds via MIDI appeals to you, Yamaha and Hammond are the only ones with specific support for splitting/layering internal and external sounds, and being able to call up the desired internal and/or external sounds from their own patch select buttons.

7 hours ago, Adan said:

The YC also lacks high trigger, which is not as critical a deficiency, but most Hammond players notice its absence

I think what bugged me (and again, is not something that will matter to everyone) is that, not only was there no high trigger, there was a low release. The combination of the two made smooth trills tricky. But that kinda gets into the weeds unless you're playing ELP's Knife Edge.

7 hours ago, Adan said:

another Scott) recently conducted one of his double blind clone shootouts on this forum, and the long-in-the-tooth Electro did surprisingly well. 

Worth noting is that, while Nord may always have a Nordishness, the different models do not all sound the same, and surprisingly, the Electro that did surprisingly well there was the old Electro 2! It's not a certainty that the E6 would have done as well in that particular shootout.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Depends on how heavy your use is going to be. If you're going to be playing mostly piano with a pad thrown over it, with no care about sculping the sound, the Electro works. It certainly has the better organ over the Yamaha, though perhaps not the customisability (new word, ya'll). The Nord offers 3 solid sounding organ models, whereas the Yamaha offers 6, and a bunch of different parameters to sculp it how you want. The Nord organ still just sounds more authentic, though.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Nord have the best variety (and best sounding) hardware pianos going. My opinion may be wrong, but that's where I'm at.

The effects on the Nord are top-class, but a bit limited in their use (ie. you can't have the same effect on two sounds at once).

The Yamaha YC is shorter, has less keys, and while the rotary is nowhere near as good it IS due an update. Yamaha have promised that more updates are coming, and all of the other current product lines (Montage/MODX, CP series) have recieved fairly beefy and commendable updates over the years. Compared to other products and past update schedules, the YC is overdue for one - leading some to conclude that Yamaha has given up, though that to me sounds silly. My thoughts are that we'll seen an update with additional sounds fairly soon. In a perfect world this would perhaps bring more flexibility with its synth capabilities (there's an FM engine inside, so even just an ipad editor a la the VR09 would make the world of difference for me), and an improved rotary. It's the latter that may be holding them up - they obviously thought they had it nailed when they released it (or the engineers in their marketing videos did at least) so maybe they were surprised when the criticism came. They're a great company with vast resources, so I'm hopeful that they'll be able to do something good.

Anyways, as I said, if you're going to be a power user, the YC is more flexible than the Electro. The Electro has more splits (3 vs 2 I think), but both instruments can layer three sounds (organ + 2 more). The Yamaha is more flexible in that you have more choice over what the other two sounds are. Electro is limited to organ + something from the piano engine + something from the sample engine. Saying that, if you learn how to use the Nord sample editor PC/Mac programme well, you can have as many splits as you want on the Electro, but you'll have to sample and assign every single key/sound yourself, which can be tedious and time consuming. You also have next to no control over those sounds once they're on the keyboard.

The Nord Sample Library sounds themselves, while sounding pretty good, have only one velocity layer, and you have little control over them other than a rudimentary attack/decay/release knob, which does all at the same time in a weird way. The only filter options on the Nord Electro come through a strange velocity setting, which just wouldn't work for most applications I'd ever think of using it for. The Yamaha sampled sounds (synths, strings, brass, etc...) on the other sound way better, having more depth, and you have way more control over them.

The effects section on the Yamaha is far superior to the Electro, and that's where it shines imo. The Yamaha has more effects control (depth and time knobs, compared to just one single knob that does both on the Nord), with two standalone effects per sound at a time, PLUS an insert FX, PLUS amp sim, PLUS master reverb and compressor. The effects are also more varied (and fun and wacky sounding), there's a lot more of them, and there's much more hands on control. In fact I'd go as far as say that the effects section almost acts like a mini-synthesiser,  since you can sculpt the sound so much. The Electro range doesn't have half of the customisation options.

The Yamaha also has a filter (dedicated button with limited use, though it does the trick, or you can use a low pass filter insert effect which gives you control over cutoff and resonance and sounds pretty good), which will be hugely helpful if you're playing CCM.

The Yamaha also has audio/midi over USB, meaning with just one cable you can connect a laptop/ipad and have as many sounds as you want playing through it. It also has better MIDI implementation - you can have 4 midi zones on the YC keyboard (I think?), whereas the Nord Electro 6 only has 1, which stifles its use with another board.

The Yamaha also has pitch bend/mod wheels, which may or not be important to you. After years of having to bring another board with my Electro for that functionality alone, I'm going to say that the omission is a big deal (though I understand why Nord purposfully omit it on the Electro series).

I'm in the same boat as you - as much as I'll miss the full bodied and natural sounding Nord pianos, I'm moving on from my Electro 4 as soon as I can get my other boards sold. The YC and Electro 6 are the only ones in my budget, and after tonnes of research and scouring literally every video on YouTube (can you tell?) I'm going for the YC. Adan may have been joking about "Nord Fatigue" but after 7+ years of use, I've realised that's what I have. Playing a newer Nord model in a store doesn't inspire me as much as something like the YC does. In the new Nord models I'm basically playing the same sounds I've already been playing the last 7 years - I can just do a little bit more with them depending on which model I buy.

This video here was what sold me on the Yamaha. You simply can't get those kinds of sounds out of the Nord Electro without sampling, and even then you have next to no tools to sculpt it in real time - unless you buy the stage, which is £1000 more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

35 minutes ago, nadroj said:

The Electro has more splits (3 vs 2 I think)

I'm pretty sure that both keyboards only support a single split point (so 2 sections, not 3) for their internal sounds, though the YC actually has more split points for external sounds (Electro has zero, YC has independent key ranges for each of its 4 external zones). Also, YC lets you put the split point anywhere you want, whereas with Nord, it must be placed either between a B and C or between and E and F.

The only filter options on the Nord Electro come through a strange velocity setting, which just wouldn't work for most applications I'd ever think of using it for.

IIRC, it simply ties cutoff frequency to velocity. So a sound gets brighter as you strike it harder. It's useful (especially in light of the fact that, as you point out, all the non-piano samples have only one velocity layer), but it's not a filter control in the traditional sense.

The Yamaha has more effects control (depth and time knobs, compared to just one single knob that does both on the Nord)

The single knob on the Nord only controls one parameter. Limited control for the second parameter can be available from the buttons. For example, you would typically want rate (aka speed) and depth (aka amount) controls for Tremolo. On the Nord, the knob controls the rate. You have 3 selectable amounts, by using the button to select Trem1, Trem2, or Trem3 (which you get by activating Trem1 and Trem2 together). Obviously, though, still not as good as the YC where you can get any amount you want instead of only a choice of three.

you can have 4 midi zones on the YC keyboard (I think?), whereas the Nord Electro 6 only has 1

Right, but worse, the Nord barely has 1. It really has no particular MIDI controller function at all... the one "zone" it has is just the default operation of any MIDI keyboard that has no specific controller functions... that is, when you play it, it sends MIDI of what you're doing, that's all. You can't do something like define a particular Program Change for a program to send to the external device, or specify its octave, or whether the external device should respond to the pedals, etc., all of which the YC can do, even if you only use it for one zone. IOW, even if someone said they didn't need four MIDI zones and one would be sufficient, there's a big difference between these keyboards even when using it as only a single zone controller. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well, I think I'm qualified to chime in here - I have a YC88 and recently sold my NE6D to upgrade it to a Nord Stage 3 Compact.  Regarding the Leslie fast rotor speed, there is a setting in the menu that allows you to change the speed.  Out of the box it was stupid fast and I hated it until I realized that you can totally adjust the speed.  I slowed it down to match the fast rotor speed on my Electro6D and find it much better now.  The YC also has pre-drive for organ, which the NE6D does not (although the Stage 3 does) - you can't get a super crunchy organ sound natively on the 6D (if that is important to you) while you can on the YC and the Stage 3.  I actually prefer the acoustic and electric pianos on the YC over Nord.  I LOVE the CFX piano, the U1 upright is great, the array of Rhodes are killer and the Wurlitzer samples are fantastic as well.  I somewhat prefer the Clavinet samples on the Nord but they are pretty close, IMHO.  The FM pianos on the YC are better as well, IMHO.  Back to the organ, I would still prefer the NE6D organ over the YC organ, even after adjusting the rotor speed.  I rarely need a super crunchy/distorted organ and I think the organ tones in general just sound better and more "real" on the Nord.  However, I have not tried using an iPad for the Hammond app, which I hear is quite good, but that adds a lot to the cost if you don't already have an iPad.  If organ is really important to you (it is to me), then I would go NE6D (although if you can somehow swing it, do what is suggested about and get the Stage 3 Compact).  While I do like the YC acoustic and electric pianos better than the Nord, it's not that big of a difference whereas the organ engine is a much bigger difference between the two.  I feel like I have the best of both worlds with the incredible hammer action of the YC88 plus the organ/synth/sample library of the Nord Stage 3 Compact.  

• Like 1

Great thread because I've been looking at the YC and Nords.     I bought a Kronos a few months ago and it's way more than I thought I'd use, and like to go back to a stage piano.    So this thread is covering all the things I've been thinking about.   I'm more into AP and EP sounds and occasional organ.   I've been looking at YC88 or Nord Stage 3.  

31 minutes ago, dbhoosier said:

However, I have not tried using an iPad for the Hammond app, which I hear is quite good, but that adds a lot to the cost if you don't already have an iPad. 

Vb3m runs on iPhone and many Android phones...

• Like 1

Just a note on the Nord E6 effects. Effects 1 knob controls tremelo speed but you can use the expression pedal to control depth. The pedal can be used to control the depth of all the effects in Effects 1 section. As for Effects 2 there are 2 Phase and 2 Chorus settings as well as Deep setting for all the effects in this slot. Sure it's not a dedicated depth control but I have not had any trouble getting nice phase and chorus settings. I don't think there is much effects wise between both boards apart from the Rotary sim. The presence of pitch and mod wheels on the YC and the ability to do convincing mono synth lines with portamento is a big plus. While the Nord has an excellent sample library and sampling your own sounds is also a doddle with the new software, the lack of wheels and of course an LFO and proper Filter are  an issue. 

Both support just one split but isn't the YC a 4 part keyboard with 2 Keys sections compared to Nord's single Sample Section?

Power users will love the iPad integration and the mother keyboard functions but I reckon many users will never use them. 

If Organ and Piano are most important to you I would go Nord. If you need a strong palette of pro sounding pads, strings, poly synths and mono synths and organ is less important I reckon the YC is the one.   But I would really miss that extra octave!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChazKeys said:

Just a note on the Nord E6 effects. Effects 1 knob controls tremelo speed but you can use the expression pedal to control depth. The pedal can be used to control the depth of all the effects in Effects 1 section.

Cool tip, I'd missed that!

12 minutes ago, ChazKeys said:

Both support just one split but isn't the YC a 4 part keyboard with 2 Keys sections compared to Nord's single Sample Section?

Both support just one split (though again, YC supports multiple splits for external sounds). When it comes to internal sounds, they are both "3 part" keyboards. YC is organ plus two other sounds, Nord is organ plus piano plus one other sound. (Though they also both support the additional option of upper and lower organ sounds.)

Right I get it - Organ plus Keys A and Keys B compared to Nord: Organ + Piano + Sample Synth. So there is more layering possibilities with the YC. For example layering Piano and Electric Piano or two synth sounds. That might be an important option for some people.

Thank you very much for all of your advices, opinions, suggestion. I've learn keys in church through RD-800(that's why I somehow considered VR730), thus led me buying Stage Ex 76 years and years ago. Now I want a handier, worship rig. Do you think its worth to cross different brand from Nord to Yamaha YC? I will have a chance to try a YC61 to the nearest shop who has it 1.5 hours drive from my home. I think its worth a check, they said they will open the box just for me to try . All shops dont have NE6D unfortunately. 

My main sounds are AP, EPs, Pads, Strings and occasional Organs. Again, thank you for all of your inputs. This guides me before buying a costly but great board. 

What I love on my Stage Ex is the Synth Sound Shaping live. Very expressive when adjusting depends on the mood in the live setting along with AP/EPs.

----------------

Nord Stage EX 76, Roland RD800, Roland RD300NX, Nord Stage 2EX Compact, Yamaha CP73

This is coming from a person who makes half his living in Ministry, and isn't always a fan of Virtual:  Have you considered the wealth of worship resources for Mainstage?

In the semi -safer environment of Church (and the typical 4-5 songs worship set you'd do) Mainstage is great for something you can plug into any keyboard that you already own...or use.

I use my 88 key Nord Stage2Ex every Sunday morning at my main Church gig and it's bulletproof.  It's too heavy to move so it lives there (unless I need it for a  regular gig...).  I like Nords because you can load your own samples.   I've got a ton of my own custom pads, splits etc. but can't always load those into other Nords when playing at other churches.     I also have a compact 73, but I can't play piano parts on the unweighted action.     I  use Mainstage when I'm doing quick in and out things at other churches, or with Midi organ depending on the Church and style of music.  I can hook up my "old" 2017 Macbook air, and run what I need to get through.  I still patch in whatever the controller keyboard's  best sound is as  backup. 

Sunday sounds.  https://sundaysounds.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_8OPBhDtARIsAKQu0gaYz2F_na55gDPSB-x5baPN0-5lP3bmt4pUo4n4CxNctTDljJN2inIaAqvFEALw_wcB   and Abel Mendoza. https://thatworshipsound.com/producer/abel-mendoza/   have got some wonderful  inexpensive patches that will cover modern CCM and are catered exclusively to those type of sounds needed.      Multi-tracks.com and Loop community also  have many of the actual song specific patches used by Bethel, Hillsong,  Wickham etc.   I use the  templates from Abel, as well as Sunday Sounds, (that I've modified) and they work great. 

It's a possible solution that will cost you $39 for the software and maybe $40.00 for the patches.   That's assuming you have a Mac of course.  But even adding a refurb Macbook to the cost,   probably comes out cheaper before you buy another keyboard. 

I'm not a Nord snob, I also like much of what Yamaha does.  But any Nord I've owned has had a longer shelf life than than any other keyboard purchased.   A  Mainstage rig fills the void for something that's easy to travel with and is even more future -proof.     I went in kicking and screaming, but it really has become the defacto standard  for "Modern" CCM for a reason.

EDIT:  Looks like Abel's prices have gone up.  Sunday keys is now subscription based, but the template will still work if you don't renew (and you get monthly song patches.....).

Here's a demo of the patches in Abel's essential.   

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

10 hours ago, RDMusic504 said:

What I love on my Stage Ex is the Synth Sound Shaping live. 

Neither the Nord Electro nor the Yamaha YC have much in this area. Roland VR730 can do this (using drawbars, or iPad app), and I think Vox Conti can as well.  Hammond SK Pro has a knobby monosynth, but pad-editing is via menus.

Cheers, Mike.

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Neither the Nord Electro nor the Yamaha YC have much in this area. Roland VR730 can do this (using drawbars, or iPad app), and I think Vox Conti can as well.  Hammond SK Pro has a knobby monosynth, but pad-editing is via menus.

Cheers, Mike.

Does the Conti have a synth engine section?  I didn’t believe so - it’s misc parts are samples yes?  But they have it running through some filters?  An ADSR? 

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Does the Conti have a synth engine section?  I didn’t believe so - it’s misc parts are samples yes?  But they have it running through some filters?  An ADSR? 

Yes, it has a synth engine... like Grandstage, its analog-style synth sounds are generated by the AL-1 VA engine from the Kronos, so not samples (which also means these sounds have lower polyphony than the other sounds, 36). As far as editing goes, the 9 "drawstrips" can be used for amp attack/decay/release, filter cutoff/resonance, LFO rate/depth (the latter kind of taking the place of a mod wheel), and two additional parameters which vary depending on the sound you've selected (e.g. on lead sounds, one of them becomes a portamento toggle). Control is pretty coarse though, since the LED strips provide only 8 (non-zero) values, rather than (typically) 127. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, it has a synth engine... like Grandstage, its analog-style synth sounds are generated by the AL-1 VA engine from the Kronos, so not samples (which also means these sounds have lower polyphony than the other sounds, 36). As far as editing goes, the 9 "drawstrips" can be used for amp attack/decay/release, filter cutoff/resonance, LFO rate/depth (the latter kind of taking the place of a mod wheel), and two additional parameters which vary depending on the sound you've selected (e.g. on lead sounds, one of them becomes a portamento toggle). Control is pretty coarse though, since the LED strips provide only 8 (non-zero) values, rather than (typically) 127. 

This is interesting to me, thank you for the details.  It would be wild to see them do a D (for Drawbar) version when the current color change has been exhausted.   Or if they go the SV1  -> SV2 route and offer a thoughtful revamp with user feedback.  

Oh yes, is there an editor - software, for the Conti and it’s synth engine?   How is the midi implementation for using a physical debar box and other knob boxes for controlling parameters on the keyboard?