Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I�m sorry. (Confessions from musicians.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, no need to be ashamed. :D I thought that was a great record too, in fact I thought Hanson in general were great! First of all, they can seriously sing, and I mean really well. I saw them on SNL and a few other shows when that record was huge, and in one interview they spontaneously launched into an a capella version of "MMM-Bop" that was awesome. Their live performances (at least on TV) were fantastic, they could all play their instruments very well and just flat knew how to write good pop songs. In fact, I ended up buying their live album. :D If you can find it, I'd highly recommend picking it up, those boys were just good old school pop - grew up on Beatles and Motown and Beach Boys, and it shows. And they could pull it off live without any trickery, what a concept.

They also seemed to have a great sense of humor about themselves at such a young age... they appeared in several SNL skits where they poked fun at themselves, like one where a guy goes insane from having heard "MMM-Bop" one too many times.

I guess they're all grown up now but I've heard they're still very active and putting out records independently. Good for them.

Afternoon Delight? sorry ...

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Not so much an admittance, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread over...

ever hear a song that - while it may not be a badly done song, you just - don't - like it, or think it's cheesy, stupid, annoying or whatnot? Like some fricken 80's hair band love ballad or ... whatever, something that just is not your thing. ANd then it gets stuck in your head, and you think "this is music... I hope I don't write something as shitty as this.. now I've lost my focus AHHHHHH" :mad:

Whew. Ok. Here goes.

Iowneveryhueylewisandthenewscd.

And I still love them.

That was hard to say. It's better than Winger I guess.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Listening to "Ummm. Bop" gives me the same queezy feeling as listening to "The Pina Coloda Song". :P

steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

I dug Huey Lewis and the News. AND Winger. Both tight bands with great chops. I'd try to work with Kip if he didn't have the unholy Rod Morgenstein at his disposal. :freak::love:

Since this is an apology thread, I apologize for every time I've ever been forced to play "Mony, Mony" or any Lynyrd Skynyrd tune, in some of the bands I've been in.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Hey, it's hard to really knock the Monkees. They had some seriously great songwriters and session players working on their records!

It was not at all cool to like John Denver when he was huge but I always did. Thought he wrote some great songs and it was nice to see somebody try to project a positive image to the world, despite getting knocked for it.

I'm not really sorry for this, but I do like Flock of Seagulls, and I went to Rush at the Hollywood Bowl. Is that enough self-disclosure? :D

The Monkees were cool. Ditto on Hanson, Ramones, and even Huey Lewis and the News... the band evolved from an old Bay area band called Clover, which backed Elvis Costello on his first record (My Aim Is True)... think "Allison". Cool stuff.

I dig "Disco Inferno". Always have

Someone please take Offramp out back and have him flogged! ;)

I've got a few of my own confessions, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to share them with everyone yet - they're really bad. But when I do, it will be payback time Offramp. :D

I'm sitting here with my wife listening to Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66. On vinyl of course. ;)

No, it's not one that I feel guilty about, but it's definitely something I consider to be tres cool, :cool: and I don't care who knows it. :P:D

Great call on Burt Bacharach! :thu:

Burt always comes up sooner or later - usually sooner - in these "guilty pleasures" threads... I fail to see what so guilty about it. Is mellow stuff somehow embarrasing to the male macho hard rockin' ego? Who cares. I'm secure in my masculinity. :) I think Burt Bacharach is a absolute GENIUS on so many levels - as a writer, he writes some of the best melodies ever. He's a brilliant arranger with a very distinct and identifiable "sound". He said "I became a producer and arranger out of self-defense," but I'd say he had a natural gift for it. Some of his records are all time classics.

So what's not to like? And why do we always include the guy in the guilty pleasures lists? ;)

Still up, eh, Phil? :D

I love Bacharach. And I especially loved the nod they gave him in the Austin Powers flick...that really made it 60s like. Whenever movies want to establish the sixties vibe they reach for the demonstration footage and Hendrix burning his Strat. But, there was a lot more to the sixties...and the Austin Powers movies nailed it.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived