Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bizarre MIDI controller problem

Hello KC Community! I normally use my M-Audio Keystation 61 MK3 as a second board being controlled by my Korg Kross for band practices (via 5 pin). It helps save me from lugging around too much gear. For actual gigs I use a different board that is a bit nicer. One day at practice my M-Audio board just stopped working out of the blue. I feel like I may have hit a random button that caused it to stop working, but nothing I do or can think of will get it back to previous working condition. Maybe it's just toast and time to replace? It's about two years old. I've tried doing the factory reset steps more times than I can count but no luck. The weird thing is that it works perfectly when I plug into my DAW inside my laptop (via USB). Also the Kross has no problem working with a different controller other than my M-Audio. Maybe it's something to do with the 5 pin port on the M-Audio? I've checked the 5 pin cables with other keyboards and they work as well.

I wrote to M-Audio customer service several weeks ago but haven't heard anything. I don't mind buying a new board but just wondering if anyone here may have a had a similar issue that they were able to solve.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays! :duck:

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(One nitpick: if you're using the keys of the M-Audio to play sounds in the Kross, then it's not

second board being controlled by my Korg Kross
but a "second board controlling my Korg Kross").

Do you have a MIDI interface (5-pin to USB) for your laptop? Try running a MIDI analy[sz]er and seeing what's coming out.

Cheers, Mike.

(One nitpick: if you're using the keys of the M-Audio to play sounds in the Kross, then it's not

second board being controlled by my Korg Kross
but a "second board controlling my Korg Kross").

Do you have a MIDI interface (5-pin to USB) for your laptop? Try running a MIDI analy[sz]er and seeing what's coming out.

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks for the correction, and suggestion. I will try that!

After I installed MIDIview software, I tested it out on the M-Audio. It was unable to detect any MIDI data being transmitted from the 5 pin out to my Focusrite. However, it did detect data from the Kross using the same exact cable setup. Also, MIDIview detected data coming from the M-Audio when connected directly to my laptop via USB.

So I'm guessing this means the 5 pin MIDI out is not sending data for some reason. Unless there's a way to solve that, I'm assuming the 5 pin out is toast...? Thx again for taking the time.

Is it possible that your power supply has gone bad? From reading the manual, the unit can either be powered via USB or an external power supply. If the power supply is bad, the unit would probably still work when connected via USB but not when connected via only the MIDI port.

Also, page 14 of the manual has a section on controlling the MIDI Out function, where you can set up the unit as a USB-to-MIDI interface. Maybe you accidentally activated that function?

From the manual:

MIDI Out

The MIDI Out port is located on the back of the keyboard, and can be used to connect the keyboard to an external sound module or MIDI keyboard.

By default (when you switch the unit on), all controller data is sent out via the MIDI output as well as the USB out. If you want the MIDI output to act like a traditional USB-to-MIDI interface, engage 'MIDI Out' mode by carrying out the following:

1. Press the Advanced button to engage Edit Mode.

2. Press the black key representing 'MIDI OUT.' [The diagram on page 8 of the manual shows the top C# as controlling the MIDI OUT function.]

3. Edit Mode will disengage.

4. The keyboard is now able to send data received from the computer via its MIDI OUT jack to whatever device is connected.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Maybe it's just toast and time to replace? It's about two years old.:

I don't mind buying a new board

Have we really come to this â a controller keyboard that lasts for two years is normal, just the way things are?!

It's unfortunate you got bit like this and the board is obviously out of warranty. I had the opposite issue - my Roland A800's USB port broke, so I got a second A800 and kept the damaged one set up in my house; its 5-pin midi ports worked just fine. Point is, your board still works via USB so maybe you can repurpose it to a stay-at-home piece like I did with my first A800. In my case, the obvious advantage is that I can work on programming the sliders, buttons, pads, etc, then on a gig transfer that to my "road" A800 I keep in the garage â no need to haul that into my house every time I want to update something on it (easy for me, I know - I bring my laptop to every gig!).

I'm speculating but if the Keystation uses an "off-the-shelf" board with the optoisolator chips and midi jacks on it, it probably went bad â so replacing that would be my move (assuming the part exists and you can get in touch with M-Audio support). However, mucking around with a soldering iron is my specialty and I've taken my electronics apart since I was a kid; I know it's not for everybody, but I really feel your case is a potentially cheap fix. Unfortunately, the way things are done today does not support that model. You don't fix things - you throw them out. I'm sure the manufacturers love that.

If you feel that the board is worthless without working 5-pin midi, there's also the option to buy one of those USB-host midi converters â those will convert the USB that still works to 5-pin midi. A quick googling shows an absurdly expensive Kenton box ($260 used on Amazon!) - I'd buy a new keyboard instead. There's a lower-priced alternative with mixed reviews here: https://www.amazon.com/CAMOLA-MIDI-Host-Interface-Converter/dp/B08MZY59B7/ref=asc_df_B08MZY59B7/

Good luck and Happy Holidays to you as well!

Hello KC Community! I normally use my M-Audio Keystation 61 MK3 as a second board being controlled by my Korg Kross for band practices (via 5 pin). It helps save me from lugging around too much gear. For actual gigs I use a different board that is a bit nicer. One day at practice my M-Audio board just stopped working out of the blue. I feel like I may have hit a random button that caused it to stop working, but nothing I do or can think of will get it back to previous working condition. Maybe it's just toast and time to replace? It's about two years old. I've tried doing the factory reset steps more times than I can count but no luck. The weird thing is that it works perfectly when I plug into my DAW inside my laptop (via USB). Also the Kross has no problem working with a different controller other than my M-Audio. Maybe it's something to do with the 5 pin port on the M-Audio? I've checked the 5 pin cables with other keyboards and they work as well.

I wrote to M-Audio customer service several weeks ago but haven't heard anything. I don't mind buying a new board but just wondering if anyone here may have a had a similar issue that they were able to solve.

Many M-Audio keyboards 5-pin MIDI Out port are deactivated by default. You typically have to activate them. Factory resets would also deactivate the 5 pin MIDI out. You most likely hit some combination of keys to deactivate the 5 pin port (note, the USB port is activated, it's just the 5 pin midi out that this occurs). To reactivate the 5 pin MIDI Out port (from the Keystation owners manual):

MIDI Out

Engage 'MIDI Out' mode by carrying out the following:

1. Press the Advanced button to engage Edit Mode.

2. Press the black key representing 'MIDI OUT.'

3. Edit Mode will disengage.

4. The keyboard is now able to send data received from the computer via its MIDI OUT jack to whatever device is connected.

2532.jpg.11ef09f1b45a20d12681c59ef64e6361.jpg

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!

I don't think it's a power supply issue because I'm using the USB out plugged into an adapter going into a power strip to power the keyboard. It seems to be powering up as it normally does. I haven't had any problems powering it this way for 2 years. Unless the adaptor has gone bad but that doesn't seem to make sense since it's still powering up? Still I can try a separate one to see if it affects anything.

***I've tried engaging the "MIDI out" button countless times but that doesn't seem to do anything. When I factory reset the controller it does not transmit any MIDI data via the 5-pin port, before or after I engage the "MIDI out" function **** Unless I'm doing it wrong, which I don't think I am.

I guess it's a faulty port, at least maybe I can salvage it as a USB only MIDI controller in case one day I switch to a lap top based setup.

If you feel that the board is worthless without working 5-pin midi, there's also the option to buy one of those USB-host midi converters â those will convert the USB that still works to 5-pin midi. A quick googling shows an absurdly expensive Kenton box ($260 used on Amazon!) - I'd buy a new keyboard instead. There's a lower-priced alternative with mixed reviews here: https://www.amazon.com/CAMOLA-MIDI-Host-Interface-Converter/dp/B08MZY59B7/ref=asc_df_B08MZY59B7/

Thanks for the link on the USB to 5p converter. I might consider that!

I'm speculating but if the Keystation uses an "off-the-shelf" board with the optoisolator chips and midi jacks on it, it probably went bad â so replacing that would be my move (assuming the part exists and you can get in touch with M-Audio support). However, mucking around with a soldering iron is my specialty and I've taken my electronics apart since I was a kid; I know it's not for everybody, but I really feel your case is a potentially cheap fix. Unfortunately, the way things are done today does not support that model. You don't fix things - you throw them out. I'm sure the manufacturers love that.

tempting....!

I suppose that's all for now. Thanks again to those who read and chimed in. It means a lot!