Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Get Back

Just finished watching the series. That this all happened half a century ago, done by four guys in their 20s, and that it is still so relevant & crucial to the evolution of popular music, as well as cultural attitudes, is simply astounding to me. I loved it, partially because they were so great, but maybe more importantly because it allowed me to be a teenager again, or at least to reconnect with my teenage self, to relive what I loved about discovering music as a youth in the 60s & what the Beatles brought to the world of music & 60s pop culture. What a wonderful peek inside the process of making Beatles music, music I never tire of hearing. Musically, they were gods, personally, they were very human. Highly recommended to anybody whose musical life was influenced by all that the Beatles were, & are to this day.
Scott Fraser

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to read your thoughts on that and that it merits your approval! We don't happen to get Disney Plus, but we will likely opt for that in the not too far off future.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Glad to read your thoughts on that and that it merits your approval! We don't happen to get Disney Plus, but we will likely opt for that in the not too far off future.

I believe you can sign up for a subscription to Disney+ and get a free one week demo. Then you can cancel during that week, and not be charged, if you only intend to watch Get Back. I think it's worth that hassle to get 8 hours of Beatles.

Scott Fraser

I believe you can sign up for a subscription to Disney+ and get a free one week demo. Then you can cancel during that week, and not be charged, if you only intend to watch Get Back. I think it's worth that hassle to get 8 hours of Beatles.

I'm sure you're right! Although, there are a few other series that they have that I'd also enjoy seeing sometime, as well.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I also loved the series. The only thing that annoyed me was Yoko's constant presence in the studio.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I hope they will put out a set of Blue Ray discs on the Get Back series one of these days. I'll be the first in line to buy a set based upon Scott's comments and review. I would enjoy being a teenager again! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I'll get to this fairly soon. I do want to see it. Also a huge Beatles fan since I was a kid and saw them on Ed Sullivan for 3 weeks in a row. Mom and Dad didn't quite know what to make of their haircuts but they did like the music.

Last night I found the Mussel Shoals video on YouTube. It was free with ads so I just clicked the skip ad button. A music phenomenon, some brutal stories and some great music with a fair bit of cheese thrown in to make the movie longer, or something.

EVERYBODY should see Standing in the Shadows of Motown, that's on YouTube as well. I want to see the Wrecking Crew movie, I was in a band with Larry Knectel's son and he had some great stories.

I've seen Gimme Shelter and The Kids Are Alright, both interesting in different ways. IMHO, the best live concert film I've seen is The Last Waltz by the Band, that is a fantastic show.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I also loved the series. The only thing that annoyed me was Yoko's constant presence in the studio.

Why? She was quiet as a mouse... and the other guys didn't mind. And the reason they didn't mind is that they knew she had just suffered a miscarriage a couple of weeks before and she and John were mourning and inseparable.

I've always reflexively hated "Yoko hatred," and "Linda hatred." They were there and involved because they were the center of these men's lives. The most positive thing I've seen come from this special is the "we all owe Yoko an apology" thing.

I also like her music. The first time I heard The B-52's I said "hey... there's some Yoko in there..." So did John, apparently, which is part of what drove him to make "Double Fantasy," because in the new wave/no wave/punk scene he heard echoes of her work.

Why? She was quiet as a mouse... and the other guys didn't mind. And the reason they didn't mind is that they knew she had just suffered a miscarriage a couple of weeks before and she and John were mourning and inseparable.

I've always reflexively hated "Yoko hatred," and "Linda hatred." They were there and involved because they were the center of these men's lives. The most positive thing I've seen come from this special is the "we all owe Yoko an apology" thing.

I also like her music. The first time I heard The B-52's I said "hey... there's some Yoko in there..." So did John, apparently, which is part of what drove him to make "Double Fantasy," because in the new wave/no wave/punk scene he heard echoes of her work.

I've been a Yoko fan since her book "Grapefruit" came out. Conceptual art was a big deal for me. Musically & vocally, not so much, but as an artist, she was a force in avant garde circles. I deplore the "Yoko broke up the Beatles" myth because it makes no sense. They broke up because the Beatles were no longer the most important thing in their own personal lives. They had families & no longer had any big hurdles to conquer. And after Brian Epstein died they then had to start taking care of their own business & then it wasn't fun anymore. I think Yoko had a very important & positive role in John's life, if for no other reason than that she fulfilled the missing mother role for him.

Scott Fraser

I really liked the Beatles, and still do. For me in the 60's it was Cream, Beatles and Hendrix. I was still a big fan of the do wop groups, Motown,and that kind of thing. Soul and group harmonies. I only turned to Cream, Beatles and Hendrix, and a bunch of others in the mid to late 60's after my first acid trip. I belonged to an a-Capella group on the Jersey shore called the Soundmasters. We were the premier a-Capella singing group on Long Beach Island. So it took a long time to convert my tastes to Hippy music. One day my brother in law and I went to Atlantic City to buy recordings, and he took one look at Hendrix and said; look at the hair on this N.......so he bought it along with the SGT Pepper album, and I bought the 8 track of Sgt Pepper, so on the way home we played the Sgt Pepper album. and when a Day In The Life came on, it blew our minds. from that day on I was a definite Beatles admirer, and bought everything they did a few albums before Sgt Pepper and after that, to The White Album. As for Yoko, I never thought one way or another about her.