Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio AiX

Cool! Looking forward to this. Love what Casio's been developing this past decade, with a big thanks to Mike Martin! I've been using their digital pianos and synths on church gigs for almost as long.

I have a CT-S400 inbound for the teaching studio where I work. Never thought I'd see that kind of sound and flexibility in the $200 range. It'll likely end up as well on some gigs in the coming year.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I have bought a few casio W series just for the sax sounds. since then I have the yamaha psr series for the sax sounds. to me the most realistic sax out there comparing it to the workstations out there. namely Korg and kurtzweil. ooh I know I going to get some flak on this. I have a great sax sound for yamaha modx I downloaded from their site by their guru. I will be very interested in the new casio and the price.

I really like what Casio has been doing with their keyboards. My guess is this announcement might be new Arrangers. I noticed it was added as a category on the Casio Music Gear website - https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/arranger-keyboards

Casio's currently available "Arrangers", are listed under the budget oriented Portable Keyboards, while this new category is empty and waiting to be populated. Maybe we'll see something to compete with the higher end Yamaha PSR series; perhaps a re-introduction of the old Casio MZ line, that would be exciting.

.... and I just bought a used MZ-X500. :mad:
An oft-quoted line on this forum states that your keyboard doesn't suddenly sound worse just because a new product is announced. You've got a very versatile bit of kit there, I hope you enjoy it. Cheers, Mike.

Been there more than once with Korg instruments, always buying one generation back, yet rarely feeling even a twinge of FOMO. My old Korg TR61 workstation has been lying fallow too much, so I conspired with a music major's dad to give it to him for Xmas. The squinchy budget display will make you go blind if you try to apply it for everything, but as a writing partner and sound module with a great joystick, its fought above its weight class many times. Its going from one home studio to another, so it still has some life in it. Its not an ideal 'first synth,' which would probably be a Prophet-6 for learning purposes :D, but its still solid. Passing gear along is a time-honored tradition, ho ho ho!

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

• 4 weeks later...

Two updated videos, with a glimpse of the keyboard. Looks like a similar form factor to the CT-S1 and sounds like a synth/vocoder/arranger? An update to the MZ series?

Live Event Jan 20, 2021 at 1pm EST - https://casiokeynote.com

[EDIT] Use the < > keys to step through the video between 00:06 and 00:08 - the light sweep reveals a Red main panel with lots of new buttons and dials. Also looks like there is a joystick above the pitch bend wheel.

AiX has been out for a while: Casio CT-X700, CT-X3000 ($300USD street) and CT-X5000 ($450USD street). Casio's AiX promotional materials hint at new LSI for AiX sound generation, so one could expect new AiX-based models in order to recoup development costs.

Ujiie:

[ujiie -- accept no substitutes. :-) ]

Casio and Yamaha are slugging it out in the entry-level arranger/keyboard market. Yamaha's PSR-E4x3 line has emphasized making "DJ" beat music. New PSR-E473 and PSR-EW425 models are expected soon, spiffed up with Super Articulation light.

Yamaha's e4x3 has a few live control knobs for filtering, etc. Live control is distinctly missing from CT-X5000.

The teased Casio (4 octaves!?) might be an entry-level model with an EDM focus to one up Yamaha. Live control knobs?

All the best -- pj

It's a portable battery operated keyboard of some sort. No idea what features it has.

- it looks like another Casiotone, but wondering what kind of Casiotone?

I've been tracking info on my web site cuz I have quite a few readers from the arranger keyboard community.

It looks like two new models: CT-S1000V with voice synthesis (red) and a second model (black, CT-S500?) without voice synthesis. Both have more than a passing similarity to the CT-S400. They seem to build on the S400 features, adding two assignable live control knobs. I expect them to street somewhere in the neighborhood of the Yamaha PSR-E463; they appear to be its competitor.

I can spend hours watching Ujiie's reviews and demos. he's my favorite

Amen, brother! :-)

-- pj

Music technology blog: sandsoftwaresound.net

I watched the Casio live launch today with Mike Martin and Rich Formidoni.  One constant theme through the presentation was how much fun the CT-S1000V is to play. It sure looks like fun and for $450 it's an astounding bargain.  I used Vocaloid on one project and I don't care to use it again. Not because it doesn't sound great but because it was painful to get even halfway decent results.  If the S1000V did nothing but vocal synthesis I'd call it money well spent.  If you don't have time to watch the entire presentation check out Benn Jordon's review.  He hits the high spots and answers some questions I had that weren't covered by Mike and Rich.  

• Like 1