Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend a Virtual Piano that "Cuts through"

vonnor

Hey all,

I have been using Addictive Keys piano as my go-to since I sold my NS2, where the Silver Grand was my staple. Lately I've been listening to live recordings of my band and am a bit disappointed with the AK's bite.

Do you guys that use virtual pianos have a favorite for a piano that really has a bright attack? Think "Roll With the Changes" or "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'". I'm willing to spend some cash for the right solution.

I'm on Cantabile3, Windows 10.

Thanks!

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick recommendation, maybe you could try EQing somewhere along the signal chain so that you can get a brighter sound? It may be a quick and easy solution to cutting through the mix, especially in a live situation.
I find EQ to be an imperfect solution. Once you dial in the EQ to hit the particular pitches that need to cut, you alter the tone of other pitches - typically lower notes become "clanky".

An alternative approach is to layer piano patches - not orthodox, but might get you to where you want to be.

Cheers, Mike.

Recently I recovered some old recordings. My main board was a Roland XP50. The stock piano and strings sounded really good in context of a full band.

I don't think it is about gigabytes VST samples, more about the tone.

For cutting through guitars and drums, you need a clean piano (no resonances, body and stuff).

In my Nord Stage 3 I use the Bright Piano, or Silver. With added brightness. minimal or no reverb

For more piano centric pieces I use the White.

Or start with the White in the intro and switch to Bright when everyone joins.

I also use other tips:

- Layering a Fm piano sometimes helps

- changing velocity curve

- compressor

Good luck with playing with all theses parameters.

for me it is part of the fun to get the right sound for the job.

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

I would find it helpful to know what your amplification situation is. Are you going through a FOH PA, or using your own? Are you running stereo or mono?

I would recommend Pianoteq. Last I remember, you get to choose 3 piano models with your purchase. So you can download the demo and play around with the sounds to see what works best for your situation. Within each model, there's dozens of presets that will usually get you in the ballpark. If you get the Standard or Pro version (I have the former) you also get the ability to micro-adjust things that can affect "bite", like reverb, hammer hardness, string length, mic placement, EQ, etc.

But again, download the demo and see for yourself (the demo comes with all the piano models so you can try them all out).

I would find it helpful to know what your amplification situation is. Are you going through a FOH PA, or using your own? Are you running stereo or mono?...

On stage I use Westone 5-driver ear-bugs which I am very happy with, but as mentioned in the OP my quest for a better piano was driven by listening to live FOH recordings.

I have no stage or back-line amplification.

We employ one of three sound companies for live shows, two of which like to mix stereo - one insists on mono. That's a one-button change in my USB-Interface editor on the laptop.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I've found issues with cutting through is down to: poor mixes and/or competing instruments hogging the frequency spectrum...not to name names, but one in particular that rhymes with "fast car"

Another culprit is too much fx, whether coming from the instrument, the sound engineer, or the room itself (live rooms often needing a dry signal just to combat the natural room echo).

Most keyboard pianos are plenty bright (overly so I'd say) on their own.

- Ease up on the velocity curve if need be.

- Lo/LoMid EQ cut to remove any mud.

- Brighten to taste with a little Hi Shelf EQ if required.

- Compress.

It'll cut, and a rompler piano might be all that's required in a "rock" mix. Compression is important.

I've found issues with cutting through is down to: poor mixes and/or competing instruments hogging the frequency spectrum...not to name names, but one in particular that rhymes with "fast car"

Another culprit is too much fx, whether coming from the instrument, the sound engineer, or the room itself (live rooms often needing a dry signal just to combat the natural room echo).

Most keyboard pianos are plenty bright (overly so I'd say) on their own.

Arrangements are key. So many musicians in bands don't understand how to lay back. I saw a duo last week and the soloist was noodling while the vocalist was trying to sing. Wrong!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.