Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cool Hammer Escapement video

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible Teacher.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work on an upright piano? I have a Yamaha UX-3 piano. I can detect the "bump" where the escapement engages. I find it almost impossible to play a single note just past the bump and still get a sound. I don't seem to get any sound unless I bottom out the keys.

I can understand how playing "above the escapement" requires lots of technique, but how much of this is a function of the quality of the action?

This instructor had incredible technique, and by the way, I did not notice him being credited in the video.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Bump

So, I have been spending some time trying to play "above the escapement". Very difficult. It has never occurred to me to limit the depth that the keys are pressed. In other words, whether I would play loud or soft, I would always push the keys down to the keybed. Since I saw this video, I have a little success playing above the escapement. It is very difficult, and, like the video points out, you achieve a different tone, than just playing softer.

It would require tons of practice to make this second nature. And to repeat myself, I wonder if the action on my upright makes this more difficult to pull off.

It intrigues me that I have been playing for over 50 years, and this is the first time that I heard about this technique. I guess I didn't take enough classical piano lessons.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Nice. It looks like Andrew Aarons has PhD focusing on the mechanical aspects of keyboard instruments. He lends a unique perspective on piano performance firmly grounded in the mechanics of the instrument. Wish he had more content, but enjoyed what he has contributed.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs