Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

M-audio 61 keys to GSI Gemini no midi problem.

Hello, i want to connect a M-audio oxygen 61 gen 4 to my GSI gemini module. I connect the USB A cable to the Gemini. The keyboard gets power for the USB, but i cannot get any midi signal in. So far i checked the USB input of the Gemini, that works with another cable with a Irig keys 37 pro (power and midi). I also checked the m-audio and USB cable on my computer...that works also (power and midi). I updated the firmware of the Gemini. Global channel setting is also good. I really dont have a clu what the problem is. Does anyone have a suggestion? Also i tried to connect the keyboard to the USB B connection of the Gemini, but than i dont get power. Can somebody confirm that this is ok? thnks Marcel

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Global channel setting is also good

Global channel on which device? Did you check both device's MIDI channel?

So far i checked the USB input of the Gemini, that works with another cable with a Irig keys 37 pro (power and midi)

The fact that the M- Audio works with your computer validates the M-Audio is transmitting OK and the fact that the IRig works with the Gemini validates that the Gemini receives OK. What you haven't validated is the cable you use with the M-Audio and the Gemini, because you indicated that for the IRig test you used "another cable". Try a different cable.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Just to clarify - you are not trying to power the keyboard from the Gemini? If you are it might just be asking for too much power. It might power up but still doesn't provide enough power for it to work correctly. I would try it with a power supply next.

What you haven't validated is the cable you use with the M-Audio and the Gemini, because you indicated that for the IRig test you used "another cable". Try a different cable.

The irig cable is usb A to Micro B, so i can't use that cable for the M-audio.

Just to clarify - you are not trying to power the keyboard from the Gemini? If you are it might just be asking for too much power. It might power up but still doesn't provide enough power for it to work correctly. I would try it with a power supply next.

Unfortunatly there is no other way to power the M-audio keyboard than with the USB. I was thinking about using a powered usb hub, but im not sure if this would solve anything. I also can't find any info on power consumption of both keyboards.

I also can't find any info on power consumption of both keyboards.

I own the Code 61 (not the Oxygen). The Code has a power adapter input as well as being USB powered. I use the USB with my computer and the separate power adapter when playing live and when using the Gemini. I plug into my Gemini module using a standard 5 pin MIDI as the connector to the Gemini. The Code's power adapter calls for 9V DC 1 Amp however when I purchased the adapter (it didn't come with one) I was sent a 9V DC 500ma adapter rather than the 1Amp and have never had an issue with the 500 ma power supply. I'm not sure if it would transmit via USB fully into the Gemini using the 500 ma adapter as I've never tried it with the Gemini that way. It could be a power issue in which case you might try a powered USB hub that supplies 1Amp. I would potentially give that a try; you could always return it if it doesn't solve your issue. This is why I purchased the Code, it has the separate power adapter along with sustain and expression pedal jacks and both USB and 5 pin MIDI; the Oxygen and Axiom lacked those features.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Unfortunatly there is no other way to power the M-audio keyboard than with the USB. I was thinking about using a powered usb hub, but im not sure if this would solve anything. I also can't find any info on power consumption of both keyboards.

[Edit] As Dave suggests a powered hub seems like the solution. Maybe you could borrow one to try?

I have a thread about my experience with owning a Mojo61 and trying to find a cheap controller for the lower manual. End of story...I looked for a an old M-audio 61es, which has a external power option. My other option was buying M-audio keyboard for $200, but I had to reason to own it since it would get so little use. I bought Mojo61 to work with a lower manual digital piano.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Thnks for all the suggestions. The powered usb hub was a good next step to find the solution. i found one, without the power supply, but i wanted to test it anyway, and then it gave me a suprising result. I connected the hub to the GSI, and the hubs led went on. I connected the oxygen to the hub, power on and no midi. Then i connected the irig keys also to the hub, that one worked power and midi.......and now the the oxygen also send midi to the Gemini. Looks like the irig gave it a jumpstart. I disconnected the irig, the oxygen still worked. I shut down the Gemini and powered it up without the irig attached, and the oxygen did not send midi... until i attached the irig again. So it gets enough power to potentialy work, but the 2 dont seem to like each other i think.

Try the USB hub with a dedicated power supply (not USB powered from the Gemini), you still haven't done that experiment. My guess is that the M-audio will then send MIDI on the first pass. the power supplies are somewhere between $5-10 USD. I have an M-Audio keyboard which I use to control VB3 in the same Gemini module that you have. It works so the two are compatible. The gemini manual says ".. Beware: this port can provide up to 500 mA of current. Don't use this port to charge your mobile device...". This tells me that the Gemini can't provide the constant power needed to power your M-Audio device as well as transmit midi data on a consistent basis. It may have worked initially after plugging in the IRIG but I wonder if it would crap out after a few minutes of playing as the a bunch of midi traffic builds up over time. Independently power up the USB hub with a power supply and I think that you will be fine.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I tried a good powered usb hub now, and the problem stays the same. Maybe a seperate midi interface connected to a laptop/mainstage could be an option. another one would be the gmlabs d9x for controlling the b3 and a nice synth like the system8....it sucks for now, but this road should lead somewhere.