Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organ Software - Controller Round Up

mate stubb, if you think that the Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ is a bad candidate for working through the Hammond B-3X, why? There seems to be a midi, but the keyboard is shorter - so I saw on the Internet a YouTube video with a short keyboard for the Hammond B-3X.

Do you have a better candidate for 2 floors of a $80 keyboard?

I believe mate stubb believes that you will need to modify the BX20 to use it as a controller. I think you can just use a class compliant 5 Pin MIDI to USB cable interface/cable to use the keyboard with your PC. What I am not certain about is if the other buttons on the BX20 send midi messages that can be assigned to functions on B3-X. That you will have to discover for yourself.

For using the speaker system on the BX20 with the audio output of your PC you will need line level inputs on the BX20 that go to the amp. I do we know at this point if the instrument even has that? Maybe this is the soldering job Mate is referring to? But he makes a good point and out of anyone here has the greatest experience with building a controller from scratch. So his advice is certainly worth your attention.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mate stubb, if you think that the Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ is a bad candidate for working through the Hammond B-3X, why? There seems to be a midi, but the keyboard is shorter - so I saw on the Internet a YouTube video with a short keyboard for the Hammond B-3X.

Do you have a better candidate for 2 floors of a $80 keyboard?

I believe mate stubb believes that you will need to modify the BX20 to use it as a controller. I think you can just use a class compliant 5 Pin MIDI to USB cable interface/cable to use the keyboard with your PC. What I am not certain about is if the other buttons on the BX20 send midi messages that can be assigned to functions on B3-X. That you will have to discover for yourself.

For using the speaker system on the BX20 with the audio output of your PC you will need line level inputs on the BX20 that go to the amp. I do we know at this point if the instrument even has that? Maybe this is the soldering job Mate is referring to? But he makes a good point and out of anyone here has the greatest experience with building a controller from scratch. So his advice is certainly worth your attention.

I'm not sure Mate's comments have been directed at the BX20 idea at all, there are parallel conversations going on here.

But as to these ponts... Yes, a standard 5-pin MIDI to USB interface should do the trick, that part should be easy. I would guess almost certainly that nothing sends MIDI besides the keys themselves (and there's obviously no ability to send organ-specific drawbar controls, since this organ is not a drawbar organ and has no such controls).

Could you do better for $80? Maybe not. But $80 plus the time and effort to take apart and reassemble something that is not designed to be taken apart and reassembled? Questionable is an understatement. (I also would not assume the seller would be okay with you spending hours and making a mess at his place sawing the thing in half, if it comes to that.) For someone who wondered whether it was worth buying a Crumar DMC-122 if you could get a Nord C2D for "only $1000 more," I'm not really understanding the need for an emphasis on getting something for as close to free as possible.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

................ For someone who wondered whether it was worth buying a Crumar DMC-122 if you could get a Nord C2D for "only $1000 more," I'm not really understanding the need for an emphasis on getting something for as close to free as possible.

Been casually following this thread, and I too admit to pondering that same question myself.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Hello dear friends! Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ arrived today. What to say? Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ is complete shit! About 40 years ago (then there was the Iron Curtain), I used musical instruments from the German Democratic Republic - Waltmeister, Vermont, Regent 60. So they were better, I think. One hope - everything will work out with the Hammond B-3X program. My computers only have inputs usb2, usb3. What do I need to do to connect this Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ to my computer via midi? Maybe I should insert a PCI card with midi inputs (but I will not insert PCI into a laptop)? I am sending a photo. I shouldn't have believed that the organ doesn't come apart. Everything is separated! Paid for transportation twice the price of the organ itself.

2458.thumb.jpg.2d53dbf42887982d43a7d538c8bf3286.jpg

2459.thumb.jpg.1506d783382c4297f2b371aeba308155.jpg

Sorry for leading you astray, every console organ I've seen is not designed to come apart. In my defense, even the owner of the thing didn't think it came apart. ;-) Other than that, I'm not surprised to find the organ is, well, unimpressive. ;-) But it should give you the MIDI organ manuals you're after. As stated earlier in the thread, all you should need is a MIDI-to-USB adapter, like Roland UM-ONE or iConnectivity mio 1x1, and you should get sound out of B-3X. The sound won't come out of the organ's speakers unless the organ has a line input for receiving external audio (which does not appear to be the case form the photo posted), but the sound will come out of the device running B-3X or any speakers (or headphones) you connect to it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

...what to do with the volume (expression?) pedal In this instance, the pedal wheezed heavily, there is a potentiometer with one bit off its leg. Connected with one shielded cable. The potentiometer is called 22k 839P1HER. How to decipher this name? There are no schemes, the manual that they gave me was made on a photocopier in Spanish (or Italian). The Viscount Keyboards Forum may be dead. Doesn't answer anything. I have already ordered iConnectivity mio 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI in amazon. The pedal should apparently interact with the B-3X, how to do this?...

Napoleon's plans... Replace the mono audio amplifier. Use a class D stereo amplifier from aliexpress. For example 2X100 W https://aliexpress.ru/item/32990990657.html?aff_fcid=5eed4bcbb7ab44d69342ac6cd0d3fd5d-1636548226665-02828-_sSETun&aff_fsk=_sSETun&aff_platform=link-c-tool&aff_trace_key=5eed4bcbb7ab44d69342ac6cd0d3fd5d-1636548226665-02828-_sSETun&cn=ah&dp=5fedd79d6cfeb1db7aeb3405&sk=_sSETun&sku_id=66861390699&terminal_id = 8ec7102cab264ff9bff8809f33c37a72

If you do not like this type of amplifier from aliexpress, please advise a good amplifier.

Then I would like to replace the single-speaker front panel with a front panel with two powerful speakers and two tweeters. Please advise the type of speakers and the type of tweeters for such a project. Maybe you should put a separate amplifier for tweeters? Separate high and low frequency paths. I would also like to remove the foot keyboard - people say it has no connection with the midi, and I cannot play with my feet...

AlexJR. I believe it would be easier to purchase a pair of powered monitors and house them in the console. Then you can just provide them electricity and line level feeds from your computer.

Consider something like this pair with RCA inputs. Then you just need a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable from your sound card to the inputs on one of the pair.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE3.5BT--presonus-eris-3.5-bt-3.5-inch-powered-studio-monitors-with-bluetooth-pair

Regarding the pedal - it is mechanical. You should be able to disassemble, clean off any rust off screws, washers and bolts by soaking them in gasoline. Lubricate and put back together. Sandpaper on sheet metal. Possibly resolder any frayed wires. If unsuccessfully, replace it with a midi controller pedal. USB to PC.

However, don"t start anything until you have the USB MIDI cable. You must know for sure that all the keys on the manuals are working and sending MIDI data to your PC.

It looks like the cap for that fader is missing, yes? Does the fader function? And does it send MIDI CC for volume control? You"ll need your MIDI din to USB conversion cable to find out. Once setup, it may be useful to use a MIDI monitor app like MIDIOX. http://www.midiox.com/

Especially if you don"t have the midi specification chart or a complete manual.

That plug to me looks proprietary. What do you believe it is used for? Possibly the organ pedalboard?

As far as my suggestion of powered monitors - it is based on cost. Most of your suggestions and purchasing choices have been very cost conscious. They of course make powered monitors with larger drivers and powerful amplification. They just cost more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, friends! I connected the Viscount BX20 MIDI organ via midi to the computer. It works badly. The manuals on the B-3X card have been changed. When you play on the upper manual, the picture shows that you are playing on the lower one. And accordingly, when you play on the lower one, it shows in the picture that you are playing on the upper one. The moment the key is pressed and the reflection of this in the picture - occurs synchronously. And the sound is delayed by a second. It is impossible to use. What to do? How is it configured? I have a powerful computer on a 99F8 motherboard. 64GB memory. Very fast drive C. Win 10 LTSC. What should I do?

I read that Crumar Mojo uses a different Hammond simulation program. Maybe try it? B-3X is quite difficult to set up ...

the sound is delayed by a second. It is impossible to use. What to do? How is it configured? I have a powerful computer on a 99F8 motherboard. 64GB memory. Very fast drive C. Win 10 LTSC. What should I do?

Start with some easy things to eliminate possible sources of delay:

* make sure everything in the system is hard-wired (nothing wireless)

* check your buffer setting. In my experience, 256 usually works and has very little latency. 128 is even better, if you can select that and not here clicks/pops etc.

Hello dear experts! Please advise how to build auto accompaniment in my project. I had a clavinova yamaha psr (forgot the number), so there was a drum machine with a huge selection of rhythms, in addition, the yamaha played bass and harmony focusing on the left hand and a given rhythmic pattern. Yamaha also knew how to do automatic intro and cadence. I hope there are some VST programs that can do this kind of accompaniment. Please advise what to choose...

which Hammond profile to choose?

Nothing. That parameter is only relevantof you happen to own one of the Hammond organs listed, and are using that organ to control B3X. Otherwise, just ignore that parameter, it's not relevant. (And the fact that its "button" is not "pushed in" shows you it's not doing anything, which is what you want.)

Hello dear experts! Please advise how to build auto accompaniment in my project. I had a clavinova yamaha psr (forgot the number), so there was a drum machine with a huge selection of rhythms, in addition, the yamaha played bass and harmony focusing on the left hand and a given rhythmic pattern. Yamaha also knew how to do automatic intro and cadence. I hope there are some VST programs that can do this kind of accompaniment. Please advise what to choose...

You should probably start a new topic for that. People who know what's available in terms of arranger/auto-accompaniment VSTs are probably not so likely to find your question in a thread about organ software and controllers.

Please advise a section or topic for a question about auto accompaniment

PG Music Band in a Box and/or Real Band - has been around for years, is updated and maintained by the developer.

https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm

There are others, but that would be my pick.

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/AUTO_ACCOMPANIMENT/

Sorry for the panic, everything works, I am sending a screen with a question, which Hammond profile to choose?

The realtek card with the windows driver should be able to do B3x at acceptable delay - you will have to reduce your buffer settings. The lower you go the less delay, but the greater chance of real time audio failing. You can also try using the ASIO4ALL driver with your realtek card and see if that allows you to get the buffer setting down any lower.

https://www.asio4all.org/

Please advise a section or topic for a question about auto accompaniment

In the top left of this page (at least on desktop browsers), choose Thread Options---> New Thread. Then name your new thread, something like "Arranger/Accompaniment VST options?" or something like that. I'm not sure how many people here have that experience (this board seems to lean more toward other things), but there's a better chance someone who knows will see the query that way than buried here inside an organ thread. Though then again, Elmer had an asnwer for you right here. ;-)

Dear ElmerJFudd! I have absolutely no knowledge of VST auto accompaniment programs. Point your finger on which program to take, I can't go through the list of dozens of programs ...

He gave you his pick... the stuff from PG Music. But ultimately, nobody is going to be able to make the best decision for you except you, and yes, that may take some effort... asking at forums like this, googling for reviews, downloading demos, looking for youtube videos... just like anything else. Yeah, you can keep looking for a long time, but hopefully at some point you simply find something that strikes you as "yes, this looks like it will do what I need" and that's enough. Finding "the best" of anything is a hamster wheel. Which doesn't prevent many of us from trying. ;-) If you're lucky, Elmer's recommendation will be perfect for you!

... I have more and more questions. I did not find the B-3X to balance the volume between the upper and lower keyboards. Bad looking? The keyboard works fine as a midi controller, but the feel of the fingers is not good. Therefore, in the future I would like to replace keyboards with 61 keyboards with good parameters ...

How do I connect a volume (expression) pedal?

The thought arose that it would be nice if Leslie was included on each keyboard independently.

The B-3X only has harmonic synthesis of different inch flutes. And by ear, in many videos there is also formant synthesis (or are these samples?)

I did not find the B-3X to balance the volume between the upper and lower keyboards.

That's accomplished with different drawbar settings.

How do I connect a volume (expression) pedal?

Since B-3X recognizes your Viscount's keys, I'd be surprised if it doesn't recognize its volume pedal. Check the B-3X settings for volume and expression (CC7 and CC11), and try swapping the two CC assignments. If that doesn't work, you might need a separate pedal.

The B-3X only has harmonic synthesis of different inch flutes. And by ear, in many videos there is also formant synthesis (or are these samples?)

Synthesis of different "flute" footages is all a Hammond B3 has. No samples, no formant synthesis. If you're hearing other sounds, they are not coming from a Hammond tonewheel organ or emulation thereof. There are plenty of keyboards, though, that do Hammond organ emulation that also include other kinds of sound generation in them (whether sample playback, other kinds of synthesis, or both).

In your case, if your organ does not transmit volume from its pedal via midi, you"ll need a MIDI volume pedal. Something like the Crumar UP4 which has USB to your PC. You can assign it to volume in B3X.

The pedal will follow you when you replace the organ controller. However, some controllers have an input for continuous controller so you don"t need the additional USB port on your PC.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Experts! Maybe someone knows what kind of potentiometer (how many kilo-ohms, logarithmic, inversely logarithmic or linear) is in the expression pedal?

Second question - Leslie's speed switch - is it just a three position toggle switch?

The stock pedal and the stock switch are prohibitively expensive. I would like to try doing it myself ....

• 1 month later...
Dear Experts! Somehow our communication has been interrupted. I'll try to update. I saw on YouTube how the musicians used the B-3X using a touch screen monitor. Will such control of the B-3X be sufficient (if only presets are used)? My midi keyboard does not have any suitable volume control knobs, so I'm interested in the control option via the touch screen computer monitor...