Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Billy Preston 1973 Soul! concert

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed the overhead camera on the Hammond is backwards (i.e., preset keys appear on the right). I'm gonna need a mirror to cop some of these licks!

They did that intentionally just to keep us from doing that. ;)

j/k, but I know some (usually guitar) players did that kind of thing live over the years.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Real talent surpasses all the polished turdsâ¦

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Not only was Billy Preston the consummate natural-born musician, as you can see in this video of him playing with Ray Charles in 1967, he could bust moves that rivaled James Brown's.

[video:youtube]

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I saw Eric Clapton in August of 2001 at the Staples Center in LA, and Billy was playing keys (along with Chris Stainton) for that tour.

Eric Clapton shows are perfectly fine concerts, but not what one would call exciting. Well played, good set list, but not super dynamic.

For the run of shows I saw, Eric would bring Billy out for the last song before the encore tunes and essentially hand the stage over to him to do "Will It Go 'Round In Circles". When he did, the room energy instantly changed. Billy got everyone on their feet, the band was smiling, and he killed it! Of course LA was his adopted hometown, but I'm sure it was the same reaction everywhere. Absolutely magnetic......and somewhere in the middle of the song, Billy comes to the front of the stage and dances like in the Ray Charles clip.

Now we all know now Billy was not in great shape by this time (he did one more tour with Eric in 2004), but you'd never know it seeing him for those shows. No only was he a stupidly gifted musician, but an absolute born performer as HSS mentioned. He exuded charm and happiness...but was a tortured soul most of his life sadly. What an amazing showman though.

I just noticed the overhead camera on the Hammond is backwards (i.e., preset keys appear on the right). I'm gonna need a mirror to cop some of these licks!

Old TV station trick. Mirror in the lighting grid so you can shoot that shot with a floor camera. We used to do that for cooking shows to show the counter and stovetop.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

If you were good enough for Ray Charles... "you were special no doubt".

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

Old TV station trick. Mirror in the lighting grid so you can shoot that shot with a floor camera. We used to do that for cooking shows to show the counter and stovetop.

Cool tidbit! And creative workaround by the camera crew!

(Mods: some of the songs are gospel tunes but am posting for the merit of the keys performance, not the religious content.)

I'm hoping one of them is 'My Soul Is A Witness' from his 1973 album 'Everybody Likes Some Kind Of Music'. It's one of my favorite Billy tunes. JsmwJzO.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin