Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live Performance in the Age of Covid

First, it's an island country

Which has no bearing on their procedures. Auckland has an outbreak, they do something about it for that area. Is Auckland an island? Is Auckland somehow different than Dekalb Georgia, Austin Texas? No.

Do you know the populatioin? It's 4.9 million.

Which means what? Everybody is perfectly spaced apart from each other, and it has no cities? Citing population densities as a comparison is non-sequiter unless both distributions are perfectly diffuse. There are places in North Dakota that are thinner in population than places in NZ, and cities in NZ that are denser than cities in the U.S..

That has no bearing on the PROCEDURES implemented that has controlled it. It's absolutely ridiculous, as you say, to insist that there is some unknown reason a city with a million people in New Zealand has some capability that a city of a million, or 3 million, in the States doesn't have.

They often have multiple political parties like 4, 5 or even more. They have to form various coalitions

Whether their political system is better or more effective is beside the point as to whether their procedures have worked.

the point is a PM in a commonwealth country has vastly more power than our President does. It's not quite a dictatorship but they can put in all sorts of COVID restrictions and there's

I could go into my own "lesson" about what powers can be enacted, and have been during war time and can say all of their procedures could be implemented in the U.S. if the government had the will to do so.

Please stop comparing us with New Zealand.

"Please stop insisting what New Zealand has done is impossible in the U.S.".

We were close to implementing similar restraint in the U.S. in March 2020. Sheriffs were prepared to stop people from crossing State lines. Curfews have been implemented all over the U.S. plenty of times. 9/11 there were no planes flying. That doesn't require anything beyond the will to do it, that there is a political divide based on idiocy IS my whole point: New Zealanders as a whole were willing to take necessary steps where the U.S. faltered. There are zero technical reasons the U.S. couldn't do what New Zealand has done, except governments allow idiots to have political sway. Enough people get tired of the way it's going here, and it can happen here.

As evidence of that, the social pressure now having switched to anti-anti-vax sentiment relative to wrecking our hospital system - Kimmel feeling safe in saying the remarks he's made, and doctors/nurses agreeing publicly. Biden's weak, but better than nothing vaccine mandate for businesses. Events requiring vaccination proof. School systems rebelling against idiot governors anti-mask bs. If we get a surge at the end of the year like last year, it will ramp that up another notch; and if lambda, or a more vaccine resistant or communicable variant takes hold, it will go another notch towards active measures.

Active measures is the difference. I say 8 years ago *we wouldn't be having this conversation*, because we would have already implemented similar active measures to contain the pandemic. FEMA has had plans for it for decades, there should be nothing functionally different in this disaster than any other. All that aside, I will continue to proselytize the value of the procedures New Zealand has implemented (and partially other nations as well) until the sentiment in the U.S. changes.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Thanks for returning to the thread's subject, my finger was hovering over the delete button for your post and Chip's. It is so unfortunate this has become politicized to the point where no one really knows what's going on..

I hope covid never impacts you personally Craig, and you can continue to maintain a "politically distanced" attitude towards talking about playing gigs during a pandemic. I can't, and will not. I'll return when covid is over.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

As evidence of that, the social pressure now having switched to anti-anti-vax sentiment relative to wrecking our hospital system.

I know you think the only people against vaccines are those who voted for someone you hate, but the vaccine mandate does not apply to members of Congress or their staff. Many hospital workers have also resigned rather than get a vaccine.

I can't, and will not. I'll return when covid is over.

Then you'll probably never gig again.

Regarding gigs, one of my bands played a private outdoor gig on the weekend for a 30th wedding anniversary. It was our first gig since early 2020. Nothing else is scheduled so I may go through 2021 playing just once.

Thanks for returning to the thread's subject, my finger was hovering over the delete button for your post and Chip's. It is so unfortunate this has become politicized to the point where no one really knows what's going on..

I hope covid never impacts you personally Craig

It already has - not me, but people close to me and business associates. I've seen what it can do. It ain't pretty, and I couldn't wait to get the vaccine.

, and you can continue to maintain a "politically distanced" attitude towards talking about playing gigs during a pandemic. I can't, and will not.

The problem, Chip, is you're wasting your time. People are so entrenched in their positions, and it's so easy for them to cherry-pick whatever data and information/misinformation they want to use to buttress their opinions, that nothing you say will cause someone to go "OMG! Chip is right! I've been so wrong! I'm going to contact all my representatives, and talk to all my friends, and help right this ship!"

Ain't gonna happen. And let's face it, this whole thing has an element of gambling. Some people are more willing than others to gamble. Also, any "social contract" has been more or less shredded in favor of "looking out for #1," so we can't depend on that any more.

The debate in which you're taking part is playing out on a national scale that totally dwarfs this forum by an infinitely high ratio. If people won't listen to expert epidemiologists and virologists (who disagree among themselves, because the situation is always in flux), they're not going to listen to you, me, or anyone else about this. Period. I'm sure that deep down, you know that. I admire that you keep banging your head against the wall trying to make people aware of what we're facing, but unfortunately, at this point, I think all it will do is dent your head, not the wall. Events have been set in motion that have spiraled out of control, and gone past our ability to change them, no matter how hard we try. It's pathetic that people don't realize it's all of us vs. a virus.

I truly believe the only contribution this forum CAN make that's unique is to accept the fact that we have to deal with the world the way it is now, not what it should be...and how does that affect our ability to make a living? Don't think your comments haven't been valued, but unless someone wants to disagree, the paradox is I feel they're valued the most by people who don't need to be convinced of what you're saying.

David Hume pretty much had the is/ought gap figured out in the mid 1700s, and people haven't changed that much since then.

Last weekend, I missed 2 gigs and a third one was cancelled.

Why did I miss the gigs? Not sure how much of this is relevant but - Sunday August 29th I woke up with stuffed up sinuses, a mucus factory. I felt low, it seemed like allergies to me and as far as I know a stuffed up snot head isn't a Covid symptom. I felt better by late Monday August 30th. By then, I'd checked around and having found our local hospital was asking people who did not have symptoms to refrain from burdening their testing system, I made an appointment for free Covid testing at Rite Aid on Tuesday, September 7th.

Why a Covid test? It's been a while since I had one and even though the brief illness I had Sunday and Monday did not indicate Covid by the symptoms I thought it would be a good idea in any case.

I got the test and they called me on Friday Sept 10 late in the afternoon. I tested positive. I've had no symptoms, have felt good every day. We had a gig Friday night, I called and said I would not be coming and told the bandleader why.

Short notice but nothing anybody could do about that. .

I may come out of this with a stronger immunity but variants may render that moot. I'm not here to express political statements.

I got my second vaccination in March, Moderna so a 2 shot procedure. I have not had any symptoms or felt ill. Now I am isolating until at least this Friday. Then I can get tested again, maybe Sunday or Monday. It is likely that I will be negative.

I have been very careful for the most part. I have no idea where I could have caught this, truly.

Now I have to wonder just how many others are like me but wandering around at random, infected and presumably infectious?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I felt low, it seemed like allergies to me and as far as I know a stuffed up snot head isn't a Covid symptom.

Actually it is a symptom for breakthrough infections, which seem to be somewhat different from "traditional" covid symptons.

I tested positive. I've had no symptoms, have felt good every day.

I bet you're glad you got the vaccine. It could be a false positive, but it could also be that the vaccine is working as advertised - much less serious symptoms.

Now I have to wonder just how many others are like me but wandering around at random, infected and presumably infectious?

If you look at the stats for cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, it seems the answer is...quite a few. They're infecting the people who aren't vaccinated, and causing breakthrough infections in people who are. This is why I didn't go to three indoor concerts in the last few weeks, with tickets that had been bought during the "lull" between waves. You just don't know what's going on out there. Cases are levelling off, but it's at a high level, and amazingly, a quarter of the population still isn't vaccinated. So there are plenty of suitable hosts for a fall/winter surge. And there are always variants. I think that like it or not, Chip is right that we're still in the thick of things.

Interestingly, there are now dogs who can sniff out covid. Two are at the Miami airport, and they have accuracies of 98.1% and 99.4% - better than the tests. That is a game-changer, IMHO. If airports can have dogs that sniff out dope, they can have a dog at the boarding gate to make sure everyone getting on the plane doesn't have covid. I'm sure finding/training these dogs isn't simple or inexpensive, and that scaling up would be tough. But it just goes to show that solutions are being actively investigated. Maybe this would also be feasible for clubs and restaurants - the idea of a "covid bouncer" dog is, if nothing else, intriguing.

Would you feel safe playing an indoor gig if you knew that every person there had been screened for covid by a test procedure with 99.4% accuracy? I think I'd be okay with that

I felt low, it seemed like allergies to me and as far as I know a stuffed up snot head isn't a Covid symptom.

Actually it is a symptom for breakthrough infections, which seem to be somewhat different from "traditional" covid symptons.

I tested positive. I've had no symptoms, have felt good every day.

I bet you're glad you got the vaccine. It could be a false positive, but it could also be that the vaccine is working as advertised - much less serious symptoms.

If you look at the stats for cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, it seems the answer is...quite a few. They're infecting the people who aren't vaccinated, and causing breakthrough infections in people who are. This is why I didn't go to three indoor concerts in the last few weeks, with tickets that had been bought during the "lull" between waves. You just don't know what's going on out there. Cases are levelling off, but it's at a high level, and amazingly, a quarter of the population still isn't vaccinated. So there are plenty of suitable hosts for a fall/winter surge. And there are always variants. I think that like it or not, Chip is right that we're still in the thick of things.

Interestingly, there are now dogs who can sniff out covid. Two are at the Miami airport, and they have accuracies of 98.1% and 99.4% - better than the tests. That is a game-changer, IMHO. If airports can have dogs that sniff out dope, they can have a dog at the boarding gate to make sure everyone getting on the plane doesn't have covid. I'm sure finding/training these dogs isn't simple or inexpensive, and that scaling up would be tough. But it just goes to show that solutions are being actively investigated. Maybe this would also be feasible for clubs and restaurants - the idea of a "covid bouncer" dog is, if nothing else, intriguing.

Would you feel safe playing an indoor gig if you knew that every person there had been screened for covid by a test procedure with 99.4% accuracy? I think I'd be okay with that

You are correct, I just read a couple of articles on symptoms for breakthrough cases. It appears I've had Covid for 15 days now. By the end of the week I should get tested again.

"Glad" hardly describes it. I got vaccinated at the first opportunity, which was a pharmacist friend letting me know it was likely he would have an extra dose due to cancellation. And he did and I did. March 3rd was my second shot.

When I found out, I pondered the idea of being a carrier with no significant symptoms. That is scary, I don't want to pass any disease along to anybody.

I don't disagree with what Chip is saying at all. At a certain point, a discussion of that sort becomes "facts vs beliefs" and you will get no further regardless of how many facts you present. The thread you removed was proof of that.

Time will bring silence.

Yes, I would consider going to an event vetted by Covid dogs. You would have to figure out how to get around the various artificial scents that some people wear, that could take a dog's sniffer into new, unknown territories.

Yes, I would consider going to an event vetted by Covid dogs. You would have to figure out how to get around the various artificial scents that some people wear, that could take a dog's sniffer into new, unknown territories.

I believe it works by them sniffing a mask, not the person's clothes. So that might not be an issue.

However, all that really matters for now is that you're okay :) If you've had it for 15 days, it might be winding down.

When I found out, I pondered the idea of being a carrier with no significant symptoms. That is scary, I don't want to pass any disease along to anybody.

Same here. I got tested a couple weeks ago when I was feeling really tired, just to make sure. I'm one of that dying breed of quaint, obsolete people who still believes in a social contract, and taking into account the needs of my fellow citizens...not just myself.

Kids with no underlying symptoms who aren't old enough to get the vaccine are dying, and I would not want to be a contributing factor.

I don't disagree with what Chip is saying at all. At a certain point, a discussion of that sort becomes "facts vs beliefs" and you will get no further regardless of how many facts you present. The thread you removed was proof of that.

Exactly. It's not like "Chip, you're being bad." It was "Chip, you're wasting your time." I know he has better things to do....like start a YouTube channel where he talks about this stuff, and reaches a lot more people. Although he probably wouldn't want to have to deal with the comments.

I believe it works by them sniffing a mask, not the person's clothes. So that might not be an issue.

However, all that really matters for now is that you're okay :) If you've had it for 15 days, it might be winding down.

Same here. I got tested a couple weeks ago when I was feeling really tired, just to make sure. I'm one of that dying breed of quaint, obsolete people who still believes in a social contract, and taking into account the needs of my fellow citizens...not just myself.

Kids with no underlying symptoms who aren't old enough to get the vaccine are dying, and I would not want to be a contributing factor.

OK, sniffing masks makes sense as long as a virus that is found in bats and other animals including humans doesn't mutate and start infecting dogs. There are lots of dogs and they practice different etiquette than humans, they could become super spreaders quickly.

I appreciate your well-wishes. I'm certain that it is winding down and I started the process today to get tested again in the next few days. I have friends of all ages, up to 91 years old. I don't even want to spread Covid to people I don't like, let alone those I care about. There is no benefit and I don't want to go through my life knowing I made others miserable or dead. Especially kids! Their lives will be difficult enough without illness. It's enough that I probably annoy some people, although that can be kinda fun sometimes...

OK, sniffing masks makes sense as long as a virus that is found in bats and other animals including humans doesn't mutate and start infecting dogs. There are lots of dogs and they practice different etiquette than humans, they could become super spreaders quickly.

I appreciate your well-wishes. I'm certain that it is winding down and I started the process today to get tested again in the next few days. I have friends of all ages, up to 91 years old. I don't even want to spread Covid to people I don't like, let alone those I care about. There is no benefit and I don't want to go through my life knowing I made others miserable or dead. Especially kids! Their lives will be difficult enough without illness. It's enough that I probably annoy some people, although that can be kinda fun sometimes...

<...snip...>

I would, but here in Florida, that isn't going to happen. Our governor, DeSantis (DeathSantis) has passed enough laws and executive orders that ban any kind of verification, no vaccine passports, COVID tests, and even a mask mandate. Basically, it states that if a person comes to the bar, lounge, restaurant, concert hall, cruise ship or anywhere else, coughing, sneezing wheezing, and running a 104 degree fever it is against the law to ask for a vaccine passport, ask for a COVID test, ask him/her to wear a mask, and you have to let that person in, even if he/she will start a super-spreader event.

And he is a right-to-life candidate. Irony?

How does that relate to the topic?

Big: I refuse to do indoor gigs at all, or outdoor gigs if I am too close to the audience. I am not going to concerts, even though the theater in my town and the one south of me has a couple of shows I would enjoy. I refuse to eat at a restaurant that doesn't have outdoor service.

Sadly, live performance in the age of COVID when you live in Florida, means if you accept a gig, you are risking your life.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

We played the same venue monthly for decades. Our 34th Anniversary show was February 2020. Three weeks later, our drummer was lost to Covid - he and I had played together since the mid-70s. Both guitarists have had Covid and survived (though both still show signs of brain-fog and fatigue - classic 'Long Covid' issues). I never got it, fortunately. One of the advantages of 1) being an introvert, and 2) being a bassist. Nobody ever calls the bassist.

A friend who's been in our orbit since the 70s came on board as our new drummer and we did our first gig at the same venue two months ago, in July. Since it was indoors, another friend brought the PA speakers from his band and set them up to feed our audio to the outside patio and parking lot as a consideration to those who were either unvaccinated or uncomfortable with an indoor venue. Indoors as well as out, many were masked but many were not. The band masked when offstage but not on. There were no reports of any transmissions as a result of the show. Yay us!

Back to the monthly gig, with a few outdoor gigs upcoming. I'm definitely more 'at ease' with the outdoor settings than indoor but, knowing our 'crowd' as well as we do, it's more than likely everyone is vaccinated unless deferred for medical reasons. They're a sensible lot with great taste, except in bands. :D

Play. Just play.

Back to the monthly gig, with a few outdoor gigs upcoming. I'm definitely more 'at ease' with the outdoor settings than indoor but, knowing our 'crowd' as well as we do, it's more than likely everyone is vaccinated unless deferred for medical reasons. They're a sensible lot with great taste, except in bands. :D

Just commenting because I know your area. I had a very close brother (a biker thing), went by the street name "Johnny Booster" who lived there but we lost lost him about 15 years ago, RIP my dear friend.

We played the same venue monthly for decades. Our 34th Anniversary show was February 2020. Three weeks later, our drummer was lost to Covid - he and I had played together since the mid-70s.

I'm so sorry to hear that, it was before people realized how insidious this thing is, and way before the vaccine. At least now we have a better chance of dealing with it.

Craig has mentioned a the possibility of higher quality live streaming events as a possible venture for musicians.

As a shot across the bow, tonight I saw a trailer for a Disney + production of Billie Eilish in concert at a famous hall (name escapes me).

At a guess, they spent more on lighting, styling, hair and makeup for that one show than most local bands make in a year.

The bar has been raised, very high.

The bar has been raised, very high.

I see that as moving the whole concept forward. If people get comfortable with streaming events, hopefully they won't need to have a super-duper production each time. When you see a movie like Eight Days a Week that shows the Beatles' touring years, you realize all they had for a "show" was guitars and amps. I know times have changed, but still, they got a lot of mileage out of just playing music people wanted to hear.

I think the requirements of just playing music changed with MTV. And it has evolved from there even more.

Today, I see a lot of popular music crossing the line to soft-core or even mid-core pornography.

I have nothing against pornography, but I think it should be in its own place, and not crossing the line into the aural field of music. Obviously the public doesn't agree with me. I guess that makes me an old fuddy-duddy. But I'm a musician, my heart is in music, and I don't think an auto-tune queen singing or rapping about subjects like W.A.P. while shaking breasts and butts into the camera is a substitute for music.

Now if the artist is also a great singer and/or musician, that's a different story to me. But if the artist is not a good singer or musician, it reduces it to just plain porn and puts real talented musicians who don't look great out of the market. If Aretha Franklin came around today, she wouldn't be able to make it because she wasn't sexy enough looking. Same for Smokey Robinson and many of the classic Motown stars.

Now it may seem like I'm drifting off-topic, but I'll tie it in here.

If your production isn't stellar, if your presentation isn't pornographic enough, unless you are already an established star, I don't think enough people are going to want to tune into your performance no matter how great your music may be.

And I hope I'm wrong about that.

Insights and incites by Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton

If your production isn't stellar, if your presentation isn't pornographic enough, unless you are already an established star, I don't think enough people are going to want to tune into your performance no matter how great your music may be.

Well, pendulums swing. Here's a review of an Ed Sheeran concert. Then read this report of his concert income for his Divide tour...and also note that as of June 2020, he had earned $64,000,000 for that year alone.

Ed Sheeran performs all his songs by himself with no band, nothing. Everything is done using a loop station that he creates each part of the song and then loops it make the complete melody of the song. The other thing is he doesn't have back-up dancers and he himself does not really dance around or use fireworks or any of the sort.

Not only was his performance above par, but he was also one of the most down-to-earth sounding concerts I have ever been to. He smiled and was himself when he talked there was nothing forced sounding. His smile also made it seem like he really enjoyed every moment of performing.

It was fun because he made sure the audience participated in the concert. He would bring them in to be his back-up singers, dancers, and even just to get everyone moving and having fun.

Mark my words, "genuine" will be the next big thing. As they say about Hollywood, "You have to be sincere. Once you can fake that, you've got it made." It may be the first part of that cynical sentence combo is actually where the truth will lie. And it can survive foregoing the trappings of big concerts that covid has squashed.

It might also be because tickets aren't selling. Having been burned by buying concert tickets a long time ago ("surely people aren't that stupid, things should be okay in August") and then not feeling it was safe to go, I won't be buying any more tickets for quite a while. I doubt that I'm alone.

Just bought tickets for a concert on Oct. 28 and already having second thoughts. It's at an indoor venue. In Texas...

Got a reprieve - postponed till next year! Get to keep tickets...

Glenn

Casiotone CT-S1 Red

Ohana TK-14E Tenor Ukulele

Retired I.T. nerd - Expat - vegan - genealogist -- hobbyist musician

Formerly https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/users/72474/donblanco

Kentucky had their first football sell out in two years.

This week I had friends go to a concert at Rupp Arena that was sold out.

A friend just flew to Florida for his fourth time since Covid started. For a while the airlines doubled the price for tickets and half booked flights for separation. Now, the price is still up but the flights are packed.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Well, pendulums swing. Here's a review of an Ed Sheeran concert. <...snip...>

But Ed Sheeran is an established star.

If somebody isn't famous, how many hits will he/she get? The market is quite saturated.

So IMO that's the problem, what is the solution?

How does someone with limited exposure get noticed in the crowd?

I could put up a live stream, and although I have about 500 fans on my mailing list, how many are going to be available to watch, how many are going to want to watch, and how do I get more people to watch. The music may be great, but others are going to want to see Sheeran, Daryl Hall, Minaj, Cardi, and other heavily promoted big stars.

So for a couple of middle-aged musicians who have been locally successful since 1985 to a senior citizen market, the question is how to attract enough viewers to be able to make as much on a video feed as we do by playing at a condominium pool party?

Any ideas?

Insights, incites and questions by Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton

Well, pendulums swing. Here's a review of an Ed Sheeran concert. <...snip...>

But Ed Sheeran is an established star.

But he wasn't 10 years ago. He came up with a fresh, different sound, people loved it, and he's basically continued to hone his act rather than re-invent himself.

If somebody isn't famous, how many hits will he/she get? The market is quite saturated.

Well, none...unless they come up with something that people dig so much it goes viral. That's an opportunity that never existed before, but it's a pretty rarified atmosphere.

So IMO that's the problem, what is the solution?

How does someone with limited exposure get noticed in the crowd?

By coming up with something unique, interesting, relatable, durable, creative, amazing, and never been done before. I can't hit that bar...although it's fun to try :) By and large the people who know what I do like it, but they don't get so blown away they write all their friends and say "You just HAVE to drop everything and check out this amazing music video right now!!!"

By coming up with something unique, interesting, relatable, durable, creative, amazing, and never been done before. I can't hit that bar...although it's fun to try :) By and large the people who know what I do like it, but they don't get so blown away they write all their friends and say "You just HAVE to drop everything and check out this amazing music video right now!!!"

I'm in 2 cover bands, one of them is pretty good and regularly draws crowds. But I really don't see an online market for cover bands...maybe there is market for a good tribute band but not cover bands. Bar gigs have dried up and who knows when they'll return. The only "good" news is that no one in either band relies on gig money for a living. Likely the only market left for us for the foreseeable future is private gigs.

Sadly, in much of the country including my Kentucky, the outdoor season is winding down. There are some fall opportunities as towns are now having fall festivals that were canceled last year. Ironically a friend who sings in a band took two months off to do farming work, and now is back just end time for nothing. :)

I'm thinking Tennessee. Every weekend the Ohio Navy passes through my town on their way to the Lakes of NE Tennessee. Kentucky has a couple lakes in my area but they fill up fast and the overflow has to go south. It is amazing to see the lines of traffic, most all pulling boats, heading to the lakes. Someone should consider building some lakes in Ohio. Maybe there is not enough hills in Ohio to hold a decent amount of water.

I was tested again on Thursday, got the results this morning - negative.

Huge relief, I can more or less go about my life again, outside of my condo.

I did get a lot done at home. Some additions to the studio rack(s), need to dress a few cables that are too long again.

I finished part of a backlog of guitar repairs so those can go away.

And, I took a 7 gallon plastic water container, installed an Audio Technica omni conference mic near the fill hole and it makes the fattest, punchiest kick drum ever. The volume in the room is low, the sound the mic sends to the DAW is HUGE.