Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cellphone starts Butt-fire!

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/US/West/07/01/exploding.phone/story.cell.phone.jpg

This is one of those stories that I just would NOT believe had it not come from a credible source.

A girl in California received 2nd degree burns when a cellphone in the back pocket of her jeans burst into flames!

HERE\'S THE FULL STORY ON CNN.COM!

Damn! :eek: I'm speechless! Somebody help me out here!

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Groeg:

I could only guess that you'd be the first to 'break wind' of this story. Well, maybe Wewus if he got up on time!

Chris

G'morning Chris!

I think The Wewus has already gone on vacation. He said something about camping this weekend...or something! Usually he's up and about pretty early in the morning.

But seriously, I'm wondering just what happened with the battery in that phone to make it burst into flames. I know that these batteries are capable of producing a LOT of current. Perhaps there was a short of some kind that ignited her jeans. Like I said, it wouldn't have believed the story had it not come from a credible source.

Have a great weekend, Chris!

:cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Butt fires cause more butt blistering than was ever reported.

We need to stamp out butt fires.

Butt fires are bad.

I'll bet she was running like her hair was on fire and her ass was catching.

Sorry.

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Mornin' gents!

This was a case of parental discipline gone wrong. The girl's lazy and has no ambition. Apparently, her parents wanted (in the words of her father) to, "light a fire under her butt!" :freak:

:D

(I bet you can't believe you wasted time reading that! :freak: )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yes, lithium batteries can burn or explode if they have defects or are charged improperly.

I fly electric R/C planes and we are advised to always take the lithiums out of the plane, keep them in something fireproof like a metal box and never charge them unattended. But then we zap a lot more power in and out of them than a cellphone and the cellphone chargers have safety circuitry to prevent overcharging. You can always get a defective anything, tho....

Most of the hobby suppliers that sell them to us have warning pages about this and there are numerous cautions over at www.ezonemag.com 's battery threads.

EMERGENCY SAFETY ALERT:

Lithium batteries are becoming very popular for powering the control and power systems in our models. This is true because of their very high energy density (amp-hrs/wt. ratio) compared to NiCads or other batteries. With high energy comes increased risk in their use. The, principal, risk is FIRE which can result from improper charging, crash damage, or shorting the batteries. All vendors of these batteries warn their customers of this danger and recommend extreme caution in their use. In spite of this many fires have occurred as a result of the use of Lithium Polymer batteries, resulting in loss of models, automobiles, and other property. Homes and garages and workshops have also burned. A lithium battery fire is very hot (several thousand degrees) and is an excellent initiator for ancillary (resulting) fires. Fire occurs due to contact between Lithium and oxygen in the air. It does not need any other source of ignition, or fuel to start, and burns almost explosively.

These batteries must be used in a manner that precludes ancillary fire. The following is recommended:

1. Store, and charge, in a fireproof container; never in your model.

2. Charge in a protected area devoid of combustibles. Always stand watch over the charging process. Never leave the charging process unattended.

3. In the event of damage from crashes, etc, carefully remove to a safe place for at least a half hour to observe. Physically damaged cells could erupt into flame, and, after sufficient time to ensure safety, should be discarded in accordance with the instructions which came with the batteries. Never attempt to charge a cell with physical damage, regardless of how slight.

4. Always use chargers designed for the specific purpose, preferably having a fixed setting for your particular pack. Many fires occur in using selectable/adjustable chargers improperly set. Never attempt to charge Lithium cells with a charger which is not, specifically, designed for charging Lithium cells. Never use chargers designed for Nickel Cadmium batteries.

5. Use charging systems that monitor and control the charge state of each cell in the pack. Unbalanced cells can lead to disaster if it permits overcharge of a single cell in the pack. If the batteries show any sign of swelling, discontinue charging, and remove them to a safe place outside as they could erupt into flames.

6. Most important: NEVER PLUG IN A BATTERY AND LEAVE IT TO CHARGE UNATTENDED OVERNIGHT. Serious fires have resulted from this practice.

7. Do not attempt to make your own battery packs from individual cells.

These batteries CAN NOT be handled and charged casually such as has been the practice for years with other types of batteries. The consequence of this practice can be very serious resulting in major property damage and/ or personal harm

Source

They never tell you this kind of stuff when you shop for a cellphone or a compact digital camera... :freak:

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I once had a 9 volt battery ignite in my front pocket. Well, the battery ignited my pants when the contacts were joined by a nickel that was also in the pocket. Luckily, I "dress" in the other direction (If you don't frequent a tailor, ignore that last statement).

With the clothes that young ladies wear these days, how the hell could she fit a Nokia in her back pocket? It probably bent the battery causing it to explode.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived