Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great, IMO, rendition of Hotel California solo.

VERY well done. Great tone and "touch", too. She got quite inside Joe Walsh's solo, and I'm sure that the original (by Joe Walsh) was comprised of a few sections that were punched-in here and there, not laid down all in one take. I hope she's in a band and gets to gig live and in person, again or soon if not before!

I presume that the added "harmony" guitar lines here and there are overdubbed tracks; now, that's impressive in itself, really, as not just anyone can do that and make it sound right- it takes a good understanding of harmony, recording techniques, timing and phrasing... and she did it well enough that a bunch of guitar-geeks like us are going, "I wonder what pedal she used to get those harmony-lines?" ;):thu:

I myself am woefully lacking in recording chops, not having done much in a VERY long time!

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@ DBM & Caevvan, I remember when the tune 1st came out and this guitar-geek when running to all my old guitar shops to see if anyone knew of any new pedal that could get that sound. Later in life watching the Eagles play it live with two guitars, it all started making sense. They can do it in just one take with no overdubs...check it out at 4:30: I'm still thinking harmonizer for a live solo act? :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtc3WTnh50

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

My Grandpa and Grandma saw them in 1979, my Mother saw them 2005, my crew of 6 saw them in 2018.

I envy you! Though I've certainly caught my share of great performers and performances over the many years (I'm a young dinosaur)...

• Like 2

Regarding the harmonizing, all I can say is that what I am hearing is not from any harmonizer I have ever heard used on vocals or guitar. For one, each case where it appears is inconsistent, meaning there may be at least three different degrees of shift implemented. Now some device might be programmable to allow multiple shift differences but this appears to be note based not riff based. The harmonizing varies by note. The riff is not simply being shifted or harmonized as a whole, at least to my ears. If this is truly what is taking place, (there are guys in the Keyboard section of this forum who could probably pick out note for note the base and the harmonized notes, not me), THAT is asking a lot of a device as well as the musician utilizing it. Kudos to this guitarist for her ability to handle the harmonizing of this lead.

I am going to risk some flack for sharing this but I believe you guys are influenced by this being a young cute girl. If it was the average looking guitar player on Youtube which there are quite a few I don't think they would have their YT video posted here instead.

Listening to the performance I hear weaknesses. Her fret hand grip is not strong. She seems to lack strength where it should be based on the passage and her interpretation of it. She almost loses the string when bending in at least two places. Someone might argue that this is how she wanted it or chose to do it. I suspect not. I hear inconsistency and weakness.

Two distinct traits that both Don Felder and Joe Walsh exhibit in their live renditions of studio leads is precision and a harder attack on the bends up and down and on many hammer-ons and pull-offs. Where a pure hammer-on or pull-off was used in the studio they frequently add some attack live. It adds a degree of staccato and showcases their precision. A really good example of this is how Joe Walsh approached George Harrison's familiar lead on Something when performed live with Dhani Harrison and Jeff Lynn. (The lead starts at 2:37) Joe retains a lot of George's signature lead but he adds a hard attack on hammer-ons and pull-offs with a fraction of a second pause and slight staccato here and there. An aside, all of Joe's playing is very tastefully handled throughout this performance. Contrast this approach to Prince's lead at the RRHOF which is jamming all over While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

In the studio Felder and Walsh do not emphasize this as much. However, that Hotel California lead passage is very distinct. It is not a jam where you have freedom to stray all that much. For instance, while there is room to stray further away Skynrd's Freebird sounds like a jam. But it contains distinct riffs and follows a structure. There is some room to stray further away as long as you adhere to the structure and insert variations of those signature riffs. The lead in Hotel California is more lyrical. Change the words and people will notice.

One might argue that she is doing her own style of playing this passage but I suspect she is aiming to cover the passage more so than jam to it or do her style of it. To convey what I mean by her style or jamming to it using an extreme example, imagine Eddie Van Halen doing any familiar passage of a lead from any non-Van Halen song. He would do his thing in every context like he didn't do R&B riffs for MJ on Beat It. It appears to me that this guitarist strays from the original riffs because she has not learned them and is substituting her own thing that is close enough and good enough to her. I don't perceive it as improvising for sake of expression.

I do agree that she has great touch and tone, in general.

[video:youtube]

• Like 1

I am going to risk some flack for sharing this but I believe you guys are influenced by this being a young cute girl. If it was the average looking guitar player on Youtube which there are quite a few I don't think they would have their YT video posted here instead.

This is my post. I'm a 20 yo female. I didn't post it because she was a "young cute girl".

I posted it because she is a female guitarist, not a "young cute girl".

• Like 1

Jennifer S.

This is my post. I'm a 20 yo female. I didn't post it because she was a "young cute girl".

I posted it because she is a female guitarist, not a "young cute girl".

Sure but it is a moot technicality. Whether you think she is cute or not is beside the point really. You did not post it because of the "great rendition." By your own words you were motivated to do this because it is a girl doing a great rendition. That is a factor in your barometer, which was my point

• Like 1

When I watched and listened to the video, my main interest was how she sounded. I thought she sounded good. She is certainly a much better guitar player than I am. When I scrolled down to read some of the other comments while listening to her, I could not see what she looked like, so once again, I had to pay attention to her guitar playing. I still think she sounded good.
  • Like 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

My Grandpa and Grandma saw them in 1979, my Mother saw them 2005, my crew of 6 saw them in 2018.

I envy you! Though I've certainly caught my share of great performers and performances over the many years (I'm a young dinosaur)...

We're devoid of any major concert tours now. They maybe building a new stadium, which we can't afford. Will see if that attracts anyone to come here. I'm not very hopeful.

• Like 1

Jennifer S.

Maybe I am just a lowly outcast but I don't get learning anything note for note just like the record. Somebody already did that, why do it again?

It is a strange aspect of music, if I re-wrote The Merry Wives of Windsor by William Shakespeare and every word was exactly written just like the original manuscript, what would that mean?

I would like to hear an original album from this Artist, she has the chops to play pretty much anything. What does her soul channel to share with the world?

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

+1,000 Kuru, I'm not a note for note kind of guy! Also Surfer Girl, nothing says pretty women can't play guitar as good as they look LoL! Here's an example of both contcepts:;

:2thu:

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, KuruPrionz said:

Maybe I am just a lowly outcast but I don't get learning anything note for note just like the record. Somebody already did that, why do it again?

It is a strange aspect of music, if I re-wrote The Merry Wives of Windsor by William Shakespeare and every word was exactly written just like the original manuscript, what would that mean?

"Lowly outcast"... ! :roll: Not at ALL, my friend.

Now, one good thing about figuring out how to play anything note-for-note is the learning experience- the sharpening of ones chops, both ones playing and ones analytic skills- and the expansion of ones trick-bag repertoires for making their own music.

In the past, in an occasionally gigging band, I mostly did my own thing rather than note-for-note, albeit with some of the original bits that seemed to be recognizable and important 'signature' parts. Sometimes, though, I'd try to get most of a passage note-for-note, as much for savoring and enjoying it as for polaying for the audience.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

"Lowly outcast"... ! :roll: Not at ALL, my friend.

Now, one good thing about figuring out how to play anything note-for-note is the learning experience- the sharpening of ones chops, both ones playing and ones analytic skills- and the expansion of ones trick-bag repertoires for making their own music.

In the past, in an occasionally gigging band, I mostly did my own thing rather than note-for-note, albeit with some of the original bits that seemed to be recognizable and important 'signature' parts. Sometimes, though, I'd try to get most of a passage note-for-note, as much for savoring and enjoying it as for polaying for the audience.

Well, that took a while!!!

Hope you weren't thinking about the topic all that time. 

I've learned some signature licks in my time. If you are playing My Girl, you gotta do that lick. Solos? I can fluff something up that sounds like just about anything I hear. 

I think that has more to do with a fascination with playing as many styles of American popular music (except jazz, love listening but it makes my brain hurt to try and learn it!) as possible. I can fluidly weave through major and minor pentatonics (plus all the extra notes, including the "notes that are wrong" aka "Blue notes") without blinking an eye. Country, rock, funk, metal, blues, folk, country rock, heavy metal funk, folk blues etc. ad infinitum is all just letting things flow through you without a single thought in your brain. 

As soon as you start thinking, you'll think you just fell short on that last riff (and you will have!!!). 

I've had my moments where others questioned my competence, sanity or usually both. To quote (I believe) Porter Wagoner, "The last time I cared was the last time."

With thousands of gigs behind me, I know with absolute certainty that people come to gigs because it's fun, they might get to dance with somebody they want to sleep with and they can always drink. If you sing the chorus correctly, throw down a solid groove and smile/laugh, they will have fun and think you are cool. If you play something crazy they will praise you. If you try to play "just like the record" and fall short in any way, however small, they will twitch. Why risk it, go big, go nuts!!!! We only get one go around on this crazy planet, be YOU instead of "Oh hi, you're that guy who played just like the Eagles on that song, I've heard 3 dozen other guitarists do that, uhhh, good job and stuff..."

That's my ish and I'm stuck with it...😇

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Well, that took a while!!!

Hope you weren't thinking about the topic all that time. 

Haahh! I hadn't seen that and didn't notice the date- I had a Notification about this thread and thought that you'd recently posted that. :D :thu: 

Just kickin' the ball around....

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

...Porter Wagoner...

Hey, I met him when I was a little kid, maybe five years old. Friendly, polite guy, shook my hand and nodded with a smile.

• Like 3

I think it’s fair to officially admit that playing Hotel California is a rite of passage for anybody wanting to learn the guitar. I read that Don Felder originally composed the tune on a 12 string electric guitar and a drum machine at his apartment in Malibu. The 12 string heard during the solo was played on a Gibson EDS 1275 with the guitar being fed through a Leslie. Joe Walsh added the unison guitar on his Fender Telecaster through a tweed Fender amp.

There are not many songs that are in the Grammy Hall Of Fame that have also won the Grammy for Album Of The Year.

• Like 3
  • Love 1