Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vote For Lee!

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Nobody's blaming any band for wanting to get a leg up whatever way they can, mind you ...

Why would they? I'm pretty sure "get a leg up anyway you can" is the motto for Ticketmaster, Clear Channel, McDonald's, the big record companies, the Bush administration, and so on...

It's the American way!! :thu:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anderton:

Then if our escapades are causing them to get off their butts and figure out a fair way to do this, that's cool too!

Hey, that's a good one!! I'm going to use that as my rationale for downloading mp3s and cracked software! Thanks! :thu:

Originally posted by Deef:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

PM me a copy please. ;)

PMed. :cool:
Could you send that my way as well? I can probably link it in two or three AOL accounts. ;)

Good luck, Lee... you guys are now clearly in second. Of course, it ain't over 'til the gravitationally-challenged lady sings! ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by zzzzzzzzz:

Originally posted by Anderton:

Then if our escapades are causing them to get off their butts and figure out a fair way to do this, that's cool too!

Hey, that's a good one!! I'm going to use that as my rationale for downloading mp3s and cracked software! Thanks! :thu:
Oh wow, I hadn't even thought of that angle on it, Thanks! We're all totally unethical assholes and truly need you here as our conscience.

Now I feel so bad I'm going to have to track you down and whip you like a yard dog for causing rancor in our Secret Society. :D

Hey guys,

I REALLY appreciate all the efforts, but ya know... the whole thing stinks, and I've been talking to the judges about it. Everybody concerned just thinks the whole process was hastily conceived and there is no way for it to be anything approaching a fair contest. Nobody's blaming any band for wanting to get a leg up whatever way they can, mind you, but the whole process is obviously very flawed and I figured it would be as soon as they announced the thing. And, being a programmer, I told them so awhile back, right when the voting page appeared. I guess they didn't believe me until now. :D

So, the judges and the Little Steven folks are discussing amongst themselves, and hopefully will come up with some better option. It's certainly possible to write more secure voting scripts if that's what they want to do, where you have to register with an email address and all.

So by all means, keep voting, but just thought I'd let you know I've been discussing this with them and maybe there will be a better way!

So....What the fuck? Your conscience got the better of you and you turned yourself in?

You just shot yourself in the leg Lee. We could have totally won this thing for you, and you turned yourself into the judges. Whatever......we ARE here for you.....obviously.

Why should anyone keep voting? You just invalidated everything we've done.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

So....What the fuck? Your conscience got the better of you and you turned yourself in?

You just shot yourself in the leg Lee. We could have totally won this thing for you, and you turned yourself into the judges.

No no no. They've already known more or less what was going on almost from the beginning - read the first post in this thread that you quoted from me (and read between the lines a little). And I did say to them before the thing even started that it would be easy to spoof. However, at least for the time being, they didn't do anything about it. And they still may not be able to. But they might.

So yes there's been discussion about it all along, but no "turning myself in" was done, nor would I have had anything to "admit" that they didn't already know!

Whatever......we ARE here for you.....obviously.
I know! Regardless of "the system" being flawed (and it is just as flawed for everybody), you guys are doing what is after all the point of the whole thing - showing your support! And that is for real! You guys are amazing!

Why should anyone keep voting? You just invalidated everything we've done.
Not at all! Like I said, it may end up that they can't change anything about it... and meanwhile, I seriously AM blown away by what you guys are doing and I think they need to see that.

Ya know Lee, sometimes you think too much. If there was going to be any change in the voting rules, it would have to take place before the voting started. They can't stop it now, or even change it, or all the other groups in the lead are going to raise hell, and possibly even file a law suit.

You're saying "everybody keep voting, while I try to get the results thrown out".

That's very de-motivating. If you were doing something like that you should have just kept it to yourself. Sorry, just don't get it.

Wewus, I'm NOT trying to get the results thrown out. I mentioned to them at the very beginning that the process would likely be easy to rig, but that was it. So they know what's up, but it's THEY who are talking about doing something about it and doing all the "thinking too much", I'm not campaigning for anything.

Maybe you're right that I just shouldn't have said anything. The only reason I did was actually the opposite of how you feel I guess. :( Personally I'm VERY motivated by the idea that they care enough to be giving as much thought to this as they are, even if it turns out they can't change anything. In other words, THEY didn't have to say anything either, but they did. They are really sticking their necks out, and I like that and find it encouraging for us, so I wanted to share. That's all.

ALSO... even if they do decide to "do something about this it may very well have nothing at all to do with changing the voting process, or invalidating the results... but maybe, creatng a new slot on the roster and a new chance for those who don't win this thing. That's actually how THIS whole contest came about. ;)

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

But Lee's Button off of the WHAT THE....website is still working

;)

Actually...it's not.

When I click on it it goes to the same URL that is no longer working:

http://apps.bolt.com/sponsorships/rockingarage/index.php

Could be they realized what a hokey sham this voting thing was...and it all boiled down to who could get the most people clicking repeatedly and endlessly...

That wasn't best/smartest approach on the organizers part.

Hopefully they will come up with something better...or at least realize that Lee's band was just...THAT...serious...

...and just give 'em a slot on the show!!! :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

Could be they realized what a hokey sham this voting thing was...and it all boiled down to who could get the most people clicking repeatedly and endlessly...

That wasn't best/smartest approach on the organizers part.

Yes that is what they realized. We just got another email from the organizers.

The deal is, nearly ALL the bands, plus the judges, were complaining about the whole process from the beginning. Nothing unfair was intended by anybody, - it was one of the sponsors who came up with the idea to have the voting page, and the judges never liked the whole idea, and now the sponsor too is convinced that it wasn't a good idea. Nobody intended anything bad - in fact this was all conceived rather hastily because both the judges and the sponsor wanted to do something GOOD and give another band a shot at this... but this just wasn't the right way to do it.

They are now trying to decide what to do next, and are soliciting ideas from the bands, so I'll keep you guys posted.

I think Lee was right to continue discussing this with the organizers. It seems apparent the judges from Little Steven's company really liked What, The?, so they (the judges) are the best chance for What, The?'s inclusion. Not some sham, popularity contest meets technological fraud. ;)

Good luck, Lee...

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Deef:

Rockin' Garage has suspended voting. No details.

Wildcard Voting

Deef

AAaaaaaaaaaaah...but you can *still* vote if you want to (even though there's not much point) at this URL:

http://apps.bolt.com/sponsorships/rockingarage/index.php

I voted again, just for the heck of it. Gotta love it when websites leave those indexes unlocked.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

Nope, that link is dead now too... they have stopped all voting as far as I can see.

It never was a good idea - or maybe that's incorrect. Voting might not be a BAD idea, but the way they had it set up (no email / IP logging) was too easy to spoof. One vote per person would have probably been a better idea, but even then it becomes a popularity contest. And we all know how popular Lee is. :thu: But to me, it seems like the judges kind of passed their responsibility off to everyone else. Hey judges - Just pick Lee's band and get it over with! :D

I didn't feel bad about doing the multiple votes or running auto script code... it was obvious that the other bands were doing the same thing, so the only fair chance What The...? had was to do the same thing themselves. I was on there last night at 3:45 AM PDT and a couple of other bands were racking up lots of realtime votes - I doubt they had a bunch of people actually up and voting at that hour.

Well, whatever they decide on, whatever they come up with as a solution, I wish you the best of luck Lee - and if you need our help, just give a shout, okay?

Thanks Phil. FWIW, the judges are NOT trying to pass off responsibility - this whole idea (voting) was not theirs in the first place and they would prefer to be the ones in the driver's seat. They are the ones who protested the method being used. And it appears most of the bands would prefer that the judges make the call too, but it probably won't turn out that way, cuz they aren't the only parties involved. We met all the judges in Miami, and suffice it to say they are VERY cool people who really are in this for the love of music, and they've been extremely bummed (to put it mildly) when anything hasn't gone right or been done fairly.

Anyhow... I'll let ya know as soon as I know anything more...

Originally posted by TheWewus:

We're all totally unethical assholes

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, everybody is, except for the few that aren't, and you know what they say: nice guys finish last.

Thanks Phil. FWIW, the judges are NOT trying to pass off responsibility - this whole idea (voting) was not theirs in the first place and they would prefer to be the ones in the driver's seat. They are the ones who protested the method being used. And it appears most of the bands would prefer that the judges make the call too, but it probably won't turn out that way, cuz they aren't the only parties involved. We met all the judges in Miami, and suffice it to say they are VERY cool people who really are in this for the love of music, and they've been extremely bummed (to put it mildly) when anything hasn't gone right or been done fairly.

Anyhow... I'll let ya know as soon as I know anything more...

Well, at least we can feel as though we are "partly" responsible for pointing out the shortcomings of their approach. Maybe in doing so, a better solution would occur. The last time I checked, you were in 2nd place, so it shows the power of the board here (and wherever else you linked). Cool stuff. I hope you get something out of it...

ps

LOL... yeah I hear ya antimatter. Well, supposedly the deal is now that they are going to re-set everybody's totals, and re-launch the voting with some new safeguards that will only allow one vote per day, per IP address. Which of course, is how they should have done it in the first place. Still not totally foolproof but it's much more sensible for all concerned.

So, when this happens, I'll let y'all know. All I know is, I'm blown away by you guys' support. You're all truly awesome, and hopefully this will all pay off in the end! :)

Archived