Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prophets and Prophecy

As a former Prophet 6 (P6) owner too, I would suggest checking out the Novation Summit.

The Summit sounds different from the DSI/Sequential/Moog synths.

IMO, the Summit is more fun to program and play. It has that hard to make a "bad" sound vibe.

In fact, if I still owned the P6, I would have sold it and bought the Summit.

But, don't take my word for it. Take the Summit for a spin. :thu::cool:

Your post is almost prophetic.

Given the latest news, a Sequential Summit/Peak is now within the realm of possibility.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the latest news, a Sequential Summit/Peak is now within the realm of possibility.

I had no idea this was coming down the pike. :D

Novation has already bumped up wavetable import in its Components editor. :thu:

Wishfully thinking, it would be great if the Summit couple import bigger samples similar to the Prophet X albeit less cumbersome. :laugh:

Otherwise, I believe Sequential will remain a separate entity under Focusrite. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I had no idea this was coming down the pike. :D

Novation has already bumped up wavetable import in its Components editor. :thu:

Wishfully thinking, it would be great if the Summit couple import bigger samples similar to the Prophet X albeit less cumbersome. :laugh:

Otherwise, I believe Sequential will remain a separate entity under Focusrite. :cool:

I believe that as well.

But there have been quotes from both sides expressing a desire to explore collaboration. Novation can make something that incorporates Dave Smith/Sequential tech and sell it under the Novation name. Pioneer did the same thing already with the Toraiz AS-1.

[video:youtube]

These patches are incredible. I had no idea an analog synth could sound like the instruments he"s replicated. The CP70 piano sound is especially close.

Still, I"m gassing big time for whatever OBX variant Dave Smith is (allegedly) going to produce - the wait is killing me!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Of course you know that Sequential already HAS a Tom Oberheim Synth in their line up. I previously owned both and OBX and a OBXa in addition to my Prophet 5 Rev 3.2 that I still own. Sequential's rendition of the Oberheim is certainly "close enough" and is well worth the price.

I'm not in favor of buying a reissue synth that must sound exactly like the original. I prefer modern additions with current technology that improve the original design.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Of course you know that Sequential already HAS a Tom Oberheim Synth in their line up. I previously owned both and OBX and a OBXa in addition to my Prophet 5 Rev 3.2 that I still own. Sequential's rendition of the Oberheim is certainly "close enough" and is well worth the price.

I'm not in favor of buying a reissue synth that must sound exactly like the original. I prefer modern additions with current technology that improve the original design.

Mike T.

I agree with all of this, Mike, but can you imagine if Dave and Tom scaled up from the OB-6 and created a monster 8/16-voice like the Moog One? :drool: Out my price range, just like the One, but would still be nice to look at!

Yes, I"ve played it several times. It"s close but doesn"t have the same weight to the sound as the originals. Plus it"s a 4 octave keyboard and only 6 voices. For the time being I"m satisfying my OB-Lust with Synapse Obsession - sounds damn fabulous!

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Its easy to get spoiled by new keyboards like the Novation Summit that has a 5 octave KB and 16 voices that can be split or layered and include great FX in one great package. I was somewhat annoyed after Novation introduced the Summit for a MAP of $1999 only to find Dealers asking $2200 for the summit. Over the decades since synths were introduced, we've all gotten used to KB's with a lot of great sounds and features at lower prices. I bought an Alesis Ion some years back to use with my LIVE shows without risking my Prophet 5 for gigs. The ION does a nice job of re-creating a lot of the classic synth sounds without costing a fortune. The ION is a digital synth that sounds analog. The Bonus is that it is ALWAYS in tune, unlike early analog synths.

As far as the OB6 not sounding as FAT as the original Oberheims, that's difficult to do. My Oberheims sounded massive, cost a LOT, and were very heavy by today's standards. In the case of my Ion, it is certainly a thinner sounding synth than an OBX, but running it through a quality Chorus FX unit helps out a lot. The trade off was worth it for me. The Ion had 8 voices, could layer 4 different sounds, have multiple KB splits, and turn on and off any of the 4 different patches with the click of a button. I managed with 4 Octaves just fine. I wanted a smaller foot print because it was on my second tier above my Motif ES8. The User Interface on most of today's KB's are excellent.

We have more choices than ever and have become spoiled by more capabilities and lower prices.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wow that sounds and looks very interesting. I"m checked a few videos and it"s sounds amazing.

Pity I can"t figure out how to buy one...can"t find it for sale anywhere.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.