Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

#8 - the Danelectro '59

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to get a green one. They have their own voice. But ... have too many guitars. I have to come to grips that I can"t own them all. ð¡

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thank you, gents. Been playing this bad boy non-stop since I got it yesterday. Picked up the Tele for a few minutes to compare the sound - that was enlightening. Diving into the different sonic characteristics aspect of electric guitars to try and learn more about why/when you'd reach for one or another is one of the things I'm enjoying the most. I'm sure none of y'all are surprised. :D

I've got a Vox AC15C1X (Alnico Blue!) hitting today as well. I'm thinking the two may sound good together. :idea::w00t:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I've got a Vox AC15C1X (Alnico Blue!) hitting today as well. I'm thinking the two may sound good together. :idea::w00t:

dB

I'm sure they will! And, the Tele, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I wanted to get a green one. They have their own voice. But ... have too many guitars. I have to come to grips that I can"t own them all. ð¡

Why can't you?

What does "too many guitars" mean? I don't understand...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have a real one, made in 1958 or so. It's not pretty at all, looks like somebody refinished the body with a disc sander and a special paint made from mayonnaise and spread with a spatula.

Has the tone and plays well, good enough...

Plus it was cheap because ugly.

I also have an early 60's side jack Dano Silvertone Dolphin Nose U1, that is in better condition. The lipstick pickups are great stufff.

WoGY3ZN.jpg

What a awesome sounding guitar...and so sparkly!!! :love::D

Can't say I mind the weight, either. :idk:

dB

Pretty one, sir Dave. Y'all need a gold silk smoking jacket with purple embroidery.

And some mirror sunglasses like Boss Hawg. Stylin'...

Pretty one, sir Dave. Y'all need a gold silk smoking jacket with purple embroidery.

Oh yeah...because my wife isn"t making enough fun of the 60 year old guy with the sparkly guitar... :facepalm:

dB

Oh yeah...because my wife isn"t making enough fun of the 60 year old guy with the sparkly guitar... :facepalm:

dB

Get some sparkle purple cowboy boots then, that ought to ease her mind.

I had a root beer sparkle Hodad baritone for a while, the body at the neck joint was "flobbery" so I sold it. Sparkle finishes are fun!!!!!

All of my guitars are boring colors now.

dB

I had a root beer sparkle Hodad baritone for a while, the body at the neck joint was "flobbery" so I sold it. Sparkle finishes are fun!!!!!

You could go full-on Nudie Suit on her... ;):D

Dig the one with the flying saucers onnitt... ! :D

1971.jpg.5bd3ca18ddfe94072f8a0860b4068c37.jpg

1972.jpg.26035dd07be42a52d526ce2ca3e9b424.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

dB

You could go full-on Nudie Suit on her... ;):D

Dig the one with the flying saucers onnitt... ! :D

Indeed. True story - being a bored hippie from Fresno, long ago I went down to Hollywood with a couple of friends to hang out. We were walking around near Hollywood and Vine and an early 60's Cadillac convertible with the top down came cruising by. It had chrome plated rifles mounted on top of the gigantic fins, chrome plated revolvers on the front corners of the front fenders,Some crazy, shiny hood ornament guaranteed to disembowel you in a head on collision, deep pearlescent white paint, Holstein upholstery, a stout bodyguard ledge mounted on the back and the driver was wearing a Nudie suit - because... it WAS Nudie!!!!! Truly a high point in my otherwise meaningless existence...

Those new Danos are surprisingly good for the money, or even at twice the price. I have three in their current lineup and love them all. Just wish I could find flat-wounds for the baritone, which is similar to your regular guitar but just down a fifth. I tune the Dano to "A" and my hollow body Hagstrom to "B".

I also have Dano's baby Sitar, and their excellent 12-string -- both with flat-wound strings, which really seem the right match for most of their instruments, or maybe just with lipstick pickups in general. More balanced and even more sparkly this way!

If you're 100% in love with it the way it is, leave it be, but if you think you'd like even more sparkle, experiment with flatwounds or halfrounds at some point. A lot of people who ordinarily prefer rounds, like flats on their Danos.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Just wish I could find flat-wounds for the baritone, which is similar to your regular guitar but just down a fifth. I tune the Dano to "A" and my hollow body Hagstrom to "B"

Try a set of these - D'Addario 7-String Chromes (Flatwounds) - and just use the 2nd through 7th strings? Slightly cheaper than ordering single Flat-wound strings, and the scale length on a Baritone shouldn't present a problem for string length.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Thanks; I hadn't thought about that. They're considerably lighter than what's on there now, but one usually needs a different gauge for flats vs. rounds anyway due to a different core and tension. As you say, the string length is probably OK as most seven string solid bodies are a bit longer scale than a typical 6-string, and those strings are probably designed anyway for a 7-string arch-top guitar.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Beautiful guitar. I wish keyboards came in finishes like this.
Don"t Vintage Vibe make Rhodes reissues with sparkle finishes?

Crumar made a few of their Seven electric pianos with sparkle finishes...but I don"t think any of those made it to the US.

dB

Indeed they do, and since 99% of what they build are special order, the buyer can choose what color they want

:nopity:

dB

Yes they did, but out of my price range. Ibanez makes cheap guitars with nice wood and colorful finishes. Roland/Yamaha/Korg makes cheap keyboards in black. I want an affordable synth in seafoam green with chrome hardware like my Jeff Beck Strat.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Would go well with some old sparkly vintage Kustom tuck and roll amps. They did many colors. Not sure if they ever did them in 'Gretsch Orange'.

http://www.vintagekustom.com/olenik/RedK100-2-12-ALLSides.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Crumar made a few of their Seven electric pianos with sparkle finishes...but I don"t think any of those made it to the US.

dB

Long ago I owned a Rhodes Bass with a silver sparkle top. I liked the top the best.