Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live Hearing Protection w/headphones - comp/limiter, what?

Any limiter recommendations in addition to the Aphex Dominator? Kind of wondering if a compressor set to its maximum ratio and its fastest attack would do the trick. Half-rack would be nice.

Hard to beat an FMR RNC (Really Nice Compressor). Those are 1/3 rack sized, very quiet and often referred to as "the best compressor you can buy for under $1,000" and they are well under $1k.

There is a brand new one on eBay right now with free shipping for $195. Used can be considerably lower.

Decided to go with one of these. Thanks!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any limiter recommendations in addition to the Aphex Dominator? Kind of wondering if a compressor set to its maximum ratio and its fastest attack would do the trick. Half-rack would be nice.

Hard to beat an FMR RNC (Really Nice Compressor). Those are 1/3 rack sized, very quiet and often referred to as "the best compressor you can buy for under $1,000" and they are well under $1k.

There is a brand new one on eBay right now with free shipping for $195. Used can be considerably lower.

Decided to go with one of these. Thanks!

Remember that the ratio determines whether or not it is a compressor or a limiter and that the threshold will govern when it kicks in.

Be sure to try the Super Nice button too!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yep, I know that from mixing. Thanks for the recommendation. It might actually be nice for other stuff too, though I don't have any outboard recording processors.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Yep, I know that from mixing. Thanks for the recommendation. It might actually be nice for other stuff too, though I don't have any outboard recording processors.

I miss mine, will get another one someday. I want to try their RNLA too, that is more of a character piece. For what you are doing, the RNC is very transparent. It takes a great ear to detect the compression if the ratio is not too high - it will provide virtually no clues. Which is what should make it really good for your application, the music won't sound "smashed".

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

If buds damp 18dB, and you play in a "normal" band where I presume you'll receive 80dBSPL easily you're still hearing ~60dBSPL, whereas a loud band could easily go 90dB, depending on where you are and how you measure, but still, there's a LOT of sound left after pulling about 20dB away from the general SPL level.

Digital is a real b*tch when it comes to sound, though, and if some unwise people play at the max level acceptable, damping bud will take that down, in the frequency range where they work.

T