Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - 3D printing

OK, slightly off topic...

Is anyone here in KC into 3D printing?

I'm thinking there may be some really cool things to do with 3D and keyboards (or studios in general). From side panels to "Standoffs" to keep our QWERTY keyboards from pushing buttons on our keyboard keyboards.

I've seen some things on eBay and reverb, but they are not specific to my gear and might not work the way I want them to.

Eurorack Skiff.

DX Cartridge Caddy

Anybody here designing keyboard specific 3D designs? QWERTY standoffs, mounts for pedals (volume + sustain so they stay in the same place relative to each other), iPad mounts. I even saw a caddy for DX7 cartridges

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Twas I. I designed a pair of brackets to hold my Korg Microstation on top of my Mojo 61. They work like a charm. Details in the "Dig My Rig" thread.

Yes! There you go. Thanks.

Here for the gear.

If I remember right, it was on this forum that that someone mentioned a seller on ebay was making (via 3D printing) and selling "mini models" of famous keyboards...

I recall they weren't cheap -- but as shown, the detail was amazing!

I'd snagged and saved these 2 images.

Old No7

z3YRxUu.jpg

X6T0fr8.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Well, you did say off-topic.

I used to work in the print shop at an aerospace company that made interiors for travel airline fleets.

The head engineer liked me and one day he came in and said "This is the print shop, right?" We agreed that it was. He said "This is where we'll put the new Stratasys 3-d printer we're getting."

I said "bring it".

We had great ventilation but it was inadequate for the foul smell that thing generated. They used it to prototype structural parts for seats and such. The old way of prototyping meant ordering one-offs that took 6-8 weeks and cost $1,500 each. We could set the machine up, hit the go button and the part would be done in the morning.

There was no opportunity to print anything I could have designed and I didn't know Solid Works anyway. I will say that most of the parts we printed survived the Flam Lab pressure and heat tests.

Very feasible to make keyboard parts, in fact I predict somebody will print an entire functional keyboard instrument with one someday in the foreseeable future - probably a MIDI controller. The tech has come a long way since 2014 when I was doing it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 1 year later...

My son works for a major company that designs and manufacturers medical equipment.  As part of their product development process they 3D print parts for anything, including using a powder substance to 3D print aluminum parts.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox