Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sold the Jupiter X.... ordered a Nord Wave 2

Well... I guess this was somewhat impromptu but I sold the Jupiter X. I have to say, I am going to miss seeing it here every day. It's probably the most beautiful keyboard I have ever owned and really nice to have. I just realized I didn't need it when I finished an album that I spent a couple of months on and had the Jupiter X under a dust cover the entire time without ever turning it on for a project. Once the Fantom got the models of the Jupiter 8, JX8P, Juno 106 and SH101 as an update, it also took away a major difference between the two products, even though the Jupiter X has more capability for stacking the models and arpegiators, plus more surface controls.

The other thing I realized is that I only have so much need for Jupiter strings and Juno pads, and have them just about everywhere - Fantom, Roland Cloud, and the Arturia V-Collection. How many more ways do I need to make a Roland sawtooth sound? I did love the instrument itself, and it was a blast to play, but I did find it pretty complex to do tone editing by menu diving on such a small screen. Other than that, pros outweigh the cons.

I'm not sure if the Wave 2 will be a keeper, but I am confident I will know what it can do pretty quickly. I'm actually not a big synth head and I think the Wave 2 looks so stupid simple to operate that a dinosaur brain like me can operate without a lot of deep deep chops in synthesis, but enough curiosity to get better. Nords are a little overpriced but the Wave 2 is in the same ballpark as the Jupiter X, and seems friendly on the interface as well as the wallet compared to something like a Prophet X.

Also, if I do end up gigging again, I think the Wave 2 will offer some more and abstract sounds, plus it's 17 pounds lighter to gig with than the Jupiter X and I expect will have better implementation of aftertouch.

Will keep you all posted.

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Definitely some overlap with the new Fantom (seems like Roland created some cannibalization here). You definitely have your Roland palette covered I'd say. What about the Korg Wavestate? Seems like another option.

Well... I guess this was somewhat impromptu but I sold the Jupiter X.

The other thing I realized is that I only have so much need for Jupiter strings and Juno pads, and have them just about everywhere...

I'm not sure if the Wave 2 will be a keeper, but I am confident I will know what it can do pretty quickly.

Brotha Jeff, it reads like you're rounding the same corner as me.

As a KB player primarily, there is only but so much synthesis capability you'll need and/or use. Your wheelhouse is bread and butter KB sounds. Synths provide sprinkles on the cupcake. :D

The Nord Wave 2 will be fun for a few days or so. Then, you'll realize you've got the same thing in the Fantom or your laptop. :laugh:

It's OK. The technology is easy enough to unload if/when you've decided the Nord Wave 2 is collecting dust. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think you will like the Wave 2. It is simple to program, but has a lot of thoughtful features that work together well. Plus built like a tank and weighs 19 pounds-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I did love the instrument itself, and it was a blast to play, but I did find it pretty complex to do tone editing by menu diving on such a small screen. Other than that, pros outweigh the cons.

Because you have owned a Jupiter X, I appreciate your thoughts on this Jeff. It's something I was picking up online - and to be honest, it's editing heavily weighted towards that screen has dampened my enthusiasm considerably for a synth that I was initially really looking forward to picking up.

Best of luck with your Wave 2 :thu:

And of course... the day after I sell it - Roland releases a new OS. They have a new model expansion (JD-800) that you can purchase for $149 and they added the features for MIDI controller capability to the models on computer which I asked them to do in the first release.

Not sure that would have changed the outcome, but I would have at least kept the Jupiter X a while longer to work with these new release capabilities. The JD-800 has a ton of character. At the end of the day, I want to use the Wave 2 for some more contemporary sounds instead of retro 80's-90's Roland and I think the Wave 2 is a great platform to sample a lot of my plug ins, orchestral and acoustic sounds that are really good and manipulate them in the Wave 2 as more of a performance instrument. I think that's what I want to spend time doing next.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

At the end of the day, I want to use the Wave 2 for some more contemporary sounds instead of retro 80's-90's Roland and I think the Wave 2 is a great platform to sample a lot of my plug ins, orchestral and acoustic sounds that are really good and manipulate them in the Wave 2 as more of a performance instrument. I think that's what I want to spend time doing next.

IMO, that is the best approach to getting the most of the Nord Wave 2 and possibly making it a keeper. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Jeff,

Good on you. As a long time Wave user, I've had my eye on the Wave 2 since its announcement in the worst way. I hope you really dig it and get a ton of satisfaction building your library of samples and sounds.

Only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger are the obvious - postponed gigs, too much day gig work, pandemic-fueled depression and the Wave 2 is pretty spendy. I hope you really come to love the new machine.

Best to you!

Tim

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

So, did you keep it? 🙂 And if so, what do you think about it after nearly two years now?

Yes, I have kept the Wave 2 and am gigging with it several times a month.  For an 80’s New Wave tribute show it is both three top tier board I use as well as my light single rehearsal board.  I like it a lot!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, jeffinpghpa said:

For an 80’s New Wave tribute show

Thanks, sounds promising. I'm looking for a second keyboard on top of my CP88 (or third above the Hydrasynth) for exactly that type of band and music (+ a bit of pop/rock) and stumbled upon the Nord Wave 2 and the specs and sounds are really impressive. The price not so much, but still OK.

I just find the workflow to be very, very fast to create patches for a synth band for a live stage use.   Either I can dial in the parts with VA, FM or samples and tweak the parts without any menu diving, or I can just sample a synth from software with the Nord Sample editor and download it to the board.   It's not one of those infinite soundscape type of boards where you can lose yourself all day making atmospheric and moving pads, but it is just really efficient and portable as a gigging synth with the surface controls all on top.  I say give it a try.

• Like 1