Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on KeyStage automation for iOS?

Thought I'd download the Lite version and have a look, see what all the fuss is about - response? this is one impressive app! version 2 on special at the moment, might have to get it and put it through its paces methinks!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Camelot on my iPad for a while. I've never tried it and am going to watch a few tutorials and see what I can do with it. I went to the app store intending to try KeyStage,

but it won't run on anything under iOS 13 (mine is an iPad Air 2). Mine is running 12.5. Sucks to be me.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

hmmm, I wonder why? not a LOT of difference really between 12.5 and 13...maybe its the Apple limitation based around age of units? I still have the first gen iPad Pro 12" and it's pretty happy on 13+, hahaha...so far!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

hmmm, I wonder why? not a LOT of difference really between 12.5 and 13...maybe its the Apple limitation based around age of units? I still have the first gen iPad Pro 12" and it's pretty happy on 13+, hahaha...so far!

Well, there were a bunch of audio changes with iOS 13, including this one which sounds like it could be important for Keystage, now that it acts as an AUv3 host:

"Audio Unit Extensions now support user presets that are available across all host applications."

A bunch of other audio stuff too... check: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-13-release-notes

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I went to the app store intending to try KeyStage,

but it won't run on anything under iOS 13 (mine is an iPad Air 2). Mine is running 12.5. Sucks to be me.

iPad Air 2 can run iPadOS 13 and 14 according to Wikipedia?

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

I just double-checked my About Info under General in the Settings Menu. Turns out I have an iPad Air (original, not the 2).

From that Wikipedia site - "iPadOS 13 supports iPads with an Apple A8 or A8X chip or later, dropping support for devices with the A7 chip, such as the first-generation iPad Air".

Oh well. When I do eventually upgrade to an iPad Pro I'll reconsider. In the meantime ... back to learning about Camelot.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Well, there were a bunch of audio changes with iOS 13, including this one which sounds like it could be important for Keystage, now that it acts as an AUv3 host:

"Audio Unit Extensions now support user presets that are available across all host applications."

A bunch of other audio stuff too... check: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-13-release-notes

Thanks, I did not notice any difference at all tbh.

iOS13 requirement comes from the AVAudioEngine framework of Apple that I used in KeyStage 2.0 for AUv3 hosting and audio mixing.

I purchased KeyStage and the app/fx units add-ons last night. I will probably never use it for a "real" gig (assuming those ever happen again) because I'm quite pleased with flexibility/redundancy/functionality/stability of my Stage/Kronos (with Set List) combo. But I have played a few sidewalk things where load-in/out hassle is a factor and have this fantasy of having a "popup" rig of:

- light weight 61 key controller

- ipad

- small mixer

- mic

- single PA cabinet.

I have all the hardware above and could do songs (in my duo with my brother) where we just use a couple sounds...which is about half the repertoire. For the other half, there are lots of splits which are generally set up across both my keyboards. I never envisioned being able to play those songs on a single 61 key controller. But using Keystage with the sections, I think I could pull off a lot more of them.

Anyway, there's a good chance I'll never do that, but was so impressed with the functionality in the new V2 youtube video that I just wanted to support agoturk's efforts. Good job man!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman