Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia V-Collection 8

So you don't look for peaks in the -15db range?

I've always been taught that for digital stuff you want to treat the -15to-18 range like it's peaking in the yellow. So that's how I have all my VSTs set up and it's what I use when I'm mixing. I swear I start to get some audible distortions when my digital stuff comes anywhere close to zero.

In mainstage or gig performer my I usually adjust my VSTs to -6db to -10 db depending on the patch being used.

When I mentioned having to turn them up, I meant when I first open them in stand alone mode to test and edit patches.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest issue for me ...

WIN 8.1 and higher !

My DAW machine running VERY well, is still Win7 Pro SP1 and I don´t wanna change because I´m unable bringing it on it´s knees up to now.

It´s piowerful enough for my needs.

I doubt VSTs need Win 8.1 - Win10,- it´s bullshit.

It´s just only the installers.

It's probably just in terms of support. I had the same issue with Cubase 10.5 Pro. It claimed it only worked on Windows 10 and yet I installed it on my Windows 7 machine just fine and it ran fine. The only hiccup is that it wouldn't close fully when you exited. It was still running in the background and I would have to manually quit the application in the Task Manager. Kind of a pain in the ass.

My Win10 laptop w/ all the tweaks needed for audio/MIDI work, introduces about 4x higher DPC latency than my Win7 Pro SP 1 DAW.

It works, but isn´t as efficient compared to Win7.

To be fair, you're comparing apples to oranges here. For whatever reason, Windows based laptops are usually way behind desktops in terms of audio performance. This is why I have a 2015 Macbook Pro for location recording and a PC desktop for my home setup.

I finally built a Windows 10 machine (desktop) this past April because Windows 7 is no longer being supported by most companies. I used my Win7 machine for a long time and it was rock-solid stable, which is why I didn't want to upgrade. That and the prospect of having to install so many plugins. But the new desktop I built smokes my old quad-core i7 in terms of latency. I can easily get 32 samples of latency running a full session with 20+ audio tracks, plug-ins, the works. I'm very happy. And so far it has been rock solid stable.

I hate Win10 for audio/MIDI,- it will always try to update even you choose the 7-day timeout and other options.

It is searching for updates always and becomes bitchy when Win10 Privacy tweaks frustrate Microsoft´s data collection and update strategies.

The auto-update stuff does suck. Can't argue with that. But many pros are using Windows 10 without issue including film composers like Junkie XL. In fact, many are switching over from Mac because Windows 10 is reliable, less inexpensive, and backward compatible.

It's probably just in terms of support. I had the same issue with Cubase 10.5 Pro. It claimed it only worked on Windows 10 and yet I installed it on my Windows 7 machine just fine and it ran fine.

Well, there are options like UniExtract RC2 allowing to break up installers,- and then you put in all the components where they belong.

But you have to know to WHERE they belong on your machine.

The only hiccup is that it wouldn't close fully when you exited. It was still running in the background and I would have to manually quit the application in the Task Manager. Kind of a pain in the ass.

That "running in background" issue was possibly only Cubase related.

On my Win7 Pro x64 machine, when I shut down the machine, before it´s "off" completely, it shows what´s still active in background and waits until it´s closed.

This always happens when I use p.ex. NI Native Access p.ex.,- but I never ever have to close it manually in task manager.

In Win10 and when you tweaked it correctly w/ WinPrivacy, you force Win10 showing which apps are still running in background while you shut down the machine and it forces the OS to close the apps before final shut down.

To be fair, you're comparing apples to oranges here. For whatever reason, Windows based laptops are usually way behind desktops in terms of audio performance. This is why I have a 2015 Macbook Pro for location recording and a PC desktop for my home setup.

I cannot agree because I carefully selected an older Lenovo workstation laptop w/ Intel i7 quad and all kind of bells and whistles I can shut off in BIOS.

It offers a PCIexpresscard34 slot for my S|C XITE-1 (which is extremely rare) and a dedicated (!) Thunderbolt connection NOT being combined w/ USB3(.1) or such,- as also offering it´s dedicated TB driver,- and I also have 20 GB of RAM, Win10 Pro x64 as well as USB 2 and 3,- and it has a SSD as OS drive as well.

I agree there´s a difference between desktops and laptops.

I´ll avoid PC vs Mac discussion here.

In that laptop there´s a Haswell i7, same gen like in my Win7 DAW rackmount machine and I know why I like Haswells for realtime audio/MIDI.

Not same stock speed though, but oesn´t matter for the discussion.

I just only recognized, under same conditions, the Win10 ACPI.sys, ndis.network, tcpip.sys and CLASSPNP.sys drivers alternately (!) cause highest DCP latency values while audio streaming works w/o clicks and pops for normal use.

You´ll recognise when comparing Win7 and Win10 systems.

With Win10,- DPC latency checker reports (on the laptop) about 1332 micro seconds DPC latency, while max. DPC latency on Win 7 is about 25% of that only.

I see max. green and occasional YELLOW columns under Win10 and under Win7 just only very small green columns.

Latency monitor shows which driver it is.

It´s a software issue, not hardware.

Now, when I close the ethernet connection,- it makes no difference except Win10 doesn´t like.

And think about, Win10 wants to be connected to the web ALWAYS,- it IS searching for updates ALL THE TIME.

In that department, the Mac laptop might win.

I dunno because I only have much older Mac laptops,- hwich, when I activated airport card, also updated w/o asking.

But the different behaviour of my machines is not laptop / desktop related per sé.

It´s simply WIn10.

So at least for me, Win7 is the beter OS for audio/MIDI up to now and I alread ythought about installing Win7 x64 on that laptop again..

I finally built a Windows 10 machine (desktop) this past April ...

Again,- I only mentioned because I recognized the difference of OS behaviour.

The auto-update stuff does suck. Can't argue with that. But many pros are using Windows 10 without issue including film composers like Junkie XL. In fact, many are switching over from Mac because Windows 10 is reliable, less inexpensive, and backward compatible.

Yes, I don´t blame the stability of the OS,- it is stable.

But there´s also not so much user access anymore except you use "God Mode" and have a clue about how to tweak.

And even w/ God Mode you cannot access everything.

:)

A.C.