Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Montage Vs MODX: Difference in audio quality?

So, I'm seriously weighing the MODX8, strongly based upon JerryTheK's absolutely phenomenal reviews and insights. Although at some point I"ll need a gigging-weight ax (MODX8) to replace my MOXF8, I might consider the Montage for stationary use at home were it to have enough sonic difference/advantage over the MODX. It appears that the MODX has enough capability in most respects to satisfy my needs, so the Montage would have to be a noticeable (as in easily audible) improvement in sound quality (or keyboard quality/feel?) to justify the added expense and weight. Has anyone directly compared the audio quality of the Montage versus the MODX? If so, is it significant / noticeable?

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be aware there are subjective and then there are objective opinions.

I am not aware of any a/d converter diffs or any ' audio internals ' that differ between MODX and Montage.

I like objective facts.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I am not aware of any a/d converter diffs or any ' audio internals ' that differ between MODX and Montage.

Montage has their Pure Analog Circuit on the analog outs, and max 192 kHz sample rate on the digital out (instead of 44.1 kHz).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

And those are facts (and the objective reason I returned my MODX) ;)

Makes sense. There are a lot of differences in audio internals as well as A/D sample rate between MODX and Montage.

There're many discussions over on Yamaha Synth forums with as deep of objective facts as one could care to mine.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Depends on who you take to. When I was research buy a workstation the one person who's YouTube I felt are good and owns Kronos and Modx and has done comparison of Montage and Modx said they are pretty much identical except the FM engine on the Modx is only 64 maximum polyphony where it's 128 on Montage. Talked to sales people at the big chains all they say is Modx is 80% the same as Montage. Then what said in previous posts I'd say the sales people are probably right Modx is about 80% of what the Montage is, but you consider the price difference it's quite a deal as long as you can tolerate the keybed difference. Also quite a weight difference the Montage 8 is a heavy board at 63 lbs.

So if like the one person I talked to the Modx is his secondary workstation controlled by other boards then price makes it the way to go. If wanted for a gigging board well the weight is much better, but is the keybed workable for you.

I've played both, through the exact same monitors, at the exact same store at the same time. In my opinion, they're both pretty good sounding, but the Montage has what I would call a slightly "higher-definition" sound to it, kind of like the Motif XF did over the MODX. Sort of a "sheen", like a nice mic vs a cheaper mic. The better action helps of course too. But the MODX isn't bad at all, and if you need to keep weight down, it would be a good choice. Otherwise, the Montage wins IMO.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

And those are facts (and the objective reason I returned my MODX) ;)

and that diff is worth $2000 more for Montage.

To each their own I suppose ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

and that diff is worth $2000 more for Montage.

To each their own I suppose ;)

There are other differences too, but those are the objective sonic ones. Action is a big difference. The additional control knobs/sliders/buttons are useful. Balanced outs. Seamless switching with up to 8 Parts at a time instead of 4. Polyphony, user sample memory, assignable aux outs, aftertouch, internal power supply... it adds up to a lot of advantages.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

so the Montage would have to be a noticeable (as in easily audible) improvement in sound quality (or keyboard quality/feel?) to justify the added expense and weight. Has anyone directly compared the audio quality of the Montage versus the MODX?

On a more serious note, since sound is subjective, most people would be hard-pressed to justify that difference alone for $2K. The difference in features and build quality would be a more reasonable justification (if that matters). For many players, the MODX feature set gets it done.

Most people are making the buying decision on a value proposition. Using 'made up' math to illustrate my point, if the MODX is 75% of a Montage, but at 50% of the price, the MODX would be a better value. That doesn't mean the MODX will take all of the Montage sales. Some will want the top of the line for a variety of reasons.

If I were you, I'd make my own comparison and decision. $2K would buy you another very nice board.......something to consider.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• 11 months later...
I use MODX 6. Love it! Using a pedal from Yamaha FC5 to maintain and SanDisk Corporation SDCZ33-032G-A46 USB flash drive to save new patches when I change presets. The Yamaha soft case fits very well, and I love the straps. The issue was too big for me. For dust in cases, Gator GKC WAS-1540 elastic keyboard dust jacket I liked the most. Play through the stereo AUX combo input in the Ampeg BA-108 bass combo. Sounds really good with an amplification that can support lower frequencies. And to convert music, I use convertr.org , and it sounds pretty cool.

Can't really compare the two as I've never played them side by side, but when I bought my MODX7, which replaced my Motif XS6, I noticed the output level was noticeably quieter than the Motif.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I actually wish I hadn't got the Yamaha case for the MODX7, as it is really wimpy, but indeed it is a great fit. Wish I'd gone with a Gator pro-go or something.

The MODX does have a lower volume than my other keyboards I've paired it with live. It is my "main" one so I match volumes to it, and the others have been around 10-12 o'clock volume to match the MODx at about 3 o'clock on the dial. I use a submixer usually and so have plenty of gain and no noise that I've noticed.

The MODX does have a lower volume than my other keyboards I've paired it with live. It is my "main" one so I match volumes to it, and the others have been around 10-12 o'clock volume to match the MODx at about 3 o'clock on the dial. I use a submixer usually and so have plenty of gain and no noise that I've noticed.

They may dial down the preset levels purposely. I still have a Motif ES Rack. The individual preset levels by default are all dialed down quite a bit. Any patches I've made on it are always way louder. I seem to recall reading something long ago that said Yamaha did this so that there's no clipping issues if you fire up a large Multi patch that's playing back a lot of instruments at once. Makes sense I suppose. Not having owned a MODX, I don't know if this applies or not.

I have also noticed that it's easy to make simple performances (ie, not a lot of layers) that are louder than the stock ones, so I suspect they don't have the levels on each part up all that high (I'd have to set up the Modx to verify).

In any case, it hasn't been an issue, I use my main piano as a volume reference for all other patches including those on my other keyboard and the ipad sounds. No noise (indicating poor gain structure) that I've noticed.