Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Glenn Gould

Nice one. In one of the biographical films they speak about the consistency and clarity of his hammer strike regardless of which finger - apparently a technique he picked up off of his childhood teacher and her other students learned the same technique.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This popped up in my YT stream and is very interesting. Back when a good interview involved mostly the words of the subject.

[video:youtube]

This was never broadcast and took place probably in 1962. Interviewer unknown.

Gould's posture and expressions in performance had me projecting the mystical incoherance of Bill Evans way of explaining his own music, but Gould is one hellva public speaker, obviously highly practiced and precise.

I once got a whole college quarter's credit to compare avant guard Jazz to avant guard classical music, and I still have much of the music by Shoenberg etc, and Ornette Coleman, etc. It was all quite interesting, but not exactly easy listening LOL.

He predicts the future will be about the relationship between composers and engineers...he could perhaps smell the synths coming.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

He predicts the future will be about the relationship between composers and engineers...he could perhaps smell the synths coming.

This is very interesting if you have the patience:

[video:youtube]

Outstanding thank you!!

In your link we get to hear the more quirky and highly opinionated Gould, who makes a fantastic radio show, but even more from some others involved in the moog Bach and reacting to it. Priceless.

Interestingly the moog used had a one-off pressure sensitive and depth sensitive keyboard. At the time of recording no hertz meter could match the human ear for discerning pitch differences, I wonder if it's still true.

One of the great advantages of the "moog future" as imagined was to free the composer from the emotional and imperfect performer who could never be relied on, LOL. The concept and regulation of "great art" abounds. There is alot of sneering about gimmicky music etc. But there is a great amount of sheer content and you have to listen pretty close to catch it all. None of my podcasts at this level yet.

Funny enough, Gould himself does not really weigh in, besides making the new moog a big deal.

Now here, below, Gould rips Mozart a new one, to the horror of devotees in the comments:

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/JauII1jCG6Q

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Now here, below, Gould rips Mozart a new one

ahh hahahaha... the epic smackdown of the century, this is GOLD! You could extrapolate this ripshred to Aerosmith, who created some of the greatest rock music of all time in their early years, but as time went along they went pop

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud