Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sub $400 weighted action ideas?

Hello guys, I have a cousin who really wants to practice piano but his current keyboard"s action is not inspiring to him at all. He has around $400 to spend, any ideas or suggestions on a keyboard that has good action and decent sounds. Can be used or an older model as well.

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a similar boat, it's for my son who is heading off for his music degree and one of his classes--that normally would be in a lab with keyboards--is virtual...the teacher said ideally the keyboard he gets will be weighted, 88 keys and it has to have some way to be heard (speakers or I'll have to give him a PA speaker....)

Because my son is a trumpet player without much interest in keyboards--despite my VAST WEALTH OF FATHERLY EXPERIENCE SAYING HE'LL REGRET THIS, LIKE I DID GUITAR :D--I don't want to break the bank.

However--he has this class for a year, and hopefully will be back in a lab in a year so, and if so then I might just inherit this thing.

Bottom line, I only found one keyboard with speakers in my research that was 500 or under that met my personal criteria--action WAY over sound and other features---and that was the Roland FP-10.

Beyond that, my choice landed on the Kawai es-110....light action, midi port (important for me possibly if I play it live). I could probably deal with the Yamaha p-125/121 as well. All of these are near 700 bucks short of a deal. Right now a LOT of things are out of stock so I think deals will be hard to come by. There are some good youtube vids comparing and contrasting actions, sounds and features on these--though of course this is all very subjective stuff.

I'd consider the Korg D1 as it has the high-end Korg action...no speakers though so my son would have to use one of my big 'ol PA speakers.

I looked into cheaper keyboards--Williams, Alesis, some Korgs....and I think honestly that this would be money I'd regret. I know I won't want to use it, and I doubt these things would have much resale value if junior decides (inexplicably) that keyboards suck for him.

I'm not big on used stuff anymore as action is what I want, and some used gear can get beat up. I used to only buy used, but I've had a couple bad experiences (and i'd only buy from guitar center, where you get 30 days to try it and find issues, then you can return locally). I did check GC and their used stock is pretty light right now as well. In the past there have been good deals for various Kawais and Yamahas with good actions.

Which models are better? Specifically casios?

In old models, PX-100/300, PX-110/310. I don't know about the 20 series that followed, I've never played one. I actually didn't like the 30 series as much as those earlier ones. But there's also the new CDP-S100 which is almost in your price range.

You could also look at some older Yamahas, like P85, P95, P35, P105, or the current P45 which has been around long enough that you could find a used one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

RD 88 or Go 88? The first is quite a bit more than any other board I've seen mentioned in this thread (like 1200 bucks), the Go 88 is definitely in the price range and has speakers.

Good catch, I got those mixed up. You're right, it's the Go 88 I was referring to.

Pretty much the only 88 with a fairly good action that"s close to that range is the Yamaha P-45. A used Yamaha P-series board is the next best bet as I gather that your friend wants 88 hammer action keys rather than something less piano-like.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments