Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lucas says that the fans have already guessed the title.

I heard that Chewbaca, for some reason, is to be present at the birth of Luke and Lea, which means the meeting with Han Solo is no accident.

I read the books with my 7 year old. Some of them are very good, and they're all rigourously consistent. I especially like the ones written by Ryder Windham, most of which concern the Fetts.

The mythic power of the story is so strong that it can withstand bad acting, cheesy writing, Hollywood dumbing down, cutesy Ewoks and Gunguns, Hayden Christensen, etc. No matter how George tries to F*ck it up, he can't because the story, as divinely bequeathed to Lucas under the influence of Joseph Campbell, is pure and good. All the excesses and limitations and period trappings (CGI, for example) of the movies won't matter, ultimately; Lucas has tapped into the pure power of myth with this stuff. ;):freak:

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 3: The Revenge of the Camp Robots.

I gave up on Star Wars about 5 seconds after the credits rolled on the Phantom Menace ... what a mess.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I'd probably have tuned out of Star Wars, round 2, as well if I weren't digging it with my boy. Hell, I wasn't a huge fan the first tinme around and I was, what, 14 when Star Wars came out.

I own them all. The first two are the best, and by a long margin.

I read the books with my 7 year old. Some of them are very good, and they're all rigourously consistent. I especially like the ones written by Ryder Windham, most of which concern the Fetts.

Ok, lemme ask the dumb question-

who wrote the original Star Wars storyline?

When i go to find the books for ANH, ESB, ROTJ, all i see are "stories adapted from the screenplay". I.e., they are a translation of a translation. Amidst these books, there is a huge (and i mean HUGE) smattering of paperback smut novels- "Princess Leia's First Passion", "Han and Leia", "Chewbacca's Love Shack" etc... (well not the last one)...

But anyways, it looks like a lot of other writers have taken a concept and run with it. I would estimate probably about 25-30 "Star Wars Theme" books, with the official "STAR WARS" logo, from about 2 dozen different authors.

The story i always heard growing up was that Star Wars episodes I-VII were written by George Lucas in high school, and that he tried for a number of years to get anyone interested in them. It wasn't until he was able to direct American Graffiti that he was able to raise some cash to at least get started, and even when he could show some snippets of what he had thusfar, nobody was interested in what he had- scifi just wasn't happenin' in 1975. I recall reading in several interviews that he almost wasn't able to finish ANH due to budget problems, and several times considered just scrapping the project.

Interesting though, there are few movies that make such an impact. In the 70s and 80s, Star Wars was clearly it- So much pop culture, jokes, spoofs and everything was based on Star Wars. I mean, how many times growing up have we said/heard "Use the force, Luke!" or imitated C3PO, or mocked an answer in the voice of Yoda? :D

Too bad that it all has gotten cheesy. The "new" movies actually distort my enjoyment of the "old" ones.

Oh well, at least we have the Matrix...

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

who wrote the original Star Wars storyline?

Good question! I'd like to know, too.

From what I remember, Lucas gave SW fans the right to use the SW world and characters in their own works - kind of like open source. Pretty cool.

Too bad that it all has gotten cheesy. The "new" movies actually distort my enjoyment of the "old" ones.

Oh well, at least we have the Matrix...[/QB]

And Lord of the Rings!

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Yes! And Lord Of The Rings!

Because we all know that in the next several years there's going to be spoofs or references to LOTR in many movies, comedy, etc. I had seen a pile of Matrix references already, but i think LOTR has completely wiped everyone's memory of the Matrix in Hollywood.

Oh yeah, and on the OpenSource gig for Lucas's SW Universe, is it GPL'd, BSD Licensed, CopyLefted...

:D

Pretty cool of him to do that, though.

w00t!

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Magpel:

And, in the inetregnum here...

Great word. I didn't know that one.

interregnum

\In`ter*reg"num\, n.; pl. Interregnums. [L., fr. inter between + regnum dominion, reign. See Reign, and cf. Interreign.] 1. The time during which a throne is vacant between the death or abdication of a sovereign and the accession of his successor.

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

Erm, based on the definition you provide, I apparently didn't know that word either..thanks lynn :freak:;);)

Originally posted by 3D Audio:

Originally posted by Magpel:

And, in the inetregnum here...

Great word. I didn't know that one.

interregnum

\In`ter*reg"num\, n.; pl. Interregnums. [L., fr. inter between + regnum dominion, reign. See Reign, and cf. Interreign.] 1. The time during which a throne is vacant between the death or abdication of a sovereign and the accession of his successor.

Originally posted by phaeton:

who wrote the original Star Wars storyline?...

Lucas has written all of the films.

As far as the books go, they are separate from the films. Lucas may use a character or something that was in a book, but he doesn't use the books in terms of shaping the films. The films exist on their own.

You're right about him having difficulty generating any interest in Star Wars: A New Hope. It really was 'American Graffiti' (which is a fantastic film, by the way) that gave Lucas enough clout with Fox to release Star Wars.

And he did it on the cheap! I think he made the movie for like 9 mil....which was not considered a big budget at all.

All of the subsequent films have been entirely financed by Lucas out of pocket. This is something I love about George Lucas. He didn't want anyone telling him how to make his movies, so he did it all on his own.

Oh well, at least we have the Matrix...

Well, even with The Matrix, we still have "Revolutions", which I felt was a real clunker compared to how cool "Reloaded" was.

The 'cheese' factor in Star Wars films doesn't affect my enjoyment of the other films at all. I just watched 'Empire Strikes Back' the other day, because my son said he wanted to see some spaceships. I love that movie. It is a great piece of film making. The fact that Jar Jar was annoying in Ep-1 doesn't change that.....nor should it.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• 1 month later...

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/24/starwars.ap/story.starwars.title.ap.jpg

Officially announced today...

SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- The final "Star Wars" prequel is just "Episode III" no more. Lucasfilm announced its new title Saturday: "Revenge of the Sith."

The movie, set for release in May 2005, will link the prequels with the original "Star Wars" trilogy by showing how Luke Skywalker's father, Anakin, went from a sweet-natured slave boy to the galaxy-crushing villain Darth Vader.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Super 8:

Originally posted by DJDM:

The Emperor was more annoying than menacing.

Oh now I have to disagree. I thought the Emperor was brilliantly done. He's half the reason I watch the movies.
Darth Vader and the Emperor WERE pretty menacing in the early 80's... period. I still love those movies.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

What? There's another one yet to come out? I thought it was all done. Revenge of the Butt Goblins sounds good Jeff. Cool. :thu::D

I kind of thought it was over after the second one back in '82 or whenever it was.

But, I have to say, Revenge of the Butt Goblins sounds more promising than we would have any right to expect.

Heck, it could be the start of a new American cinema renaisance.

Archived