Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smoking B3 - George Floyd Funeral

From a musical perspective, I was blown away by some of the musicianship during this service. I saw at least 3 keyboardists and personally loved hearing so much B3. I find this gospel style of playing very inspiring.

In case you're interested here are links of a few tunes. (Sorry I don't know how to embed a youtube video)

Peace & health,

Larry

Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He showed up on the Facebook page for Hammond technicians group. He is probably the best in Dallas, TX or so they said. People like him confirm why gospel players own the Hammond. Some of these guys you will never know about as they always play in church. I always thought church politics forbidding them to play outside of the secular world are so short sighted as they have much to share........

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'm not religious, but I have heard a lot of COGIC sermons.....

There is one hellva history behind this sect, which more than any other institution, has kept the Hammond alive, and given many players a living.

History of the Cogic Church.

Basically this is the Bach model of musicianship. The organist in a cogic church has one preeminent responsibilty: manage the choir.

To do so well with a non-professional choir is demanding to say the least, here from 1967:

[video:youtube]

So when you see these great church players, they are way beyond "players": these are the music directors, with deep respect in their community.

Beyond this is the COGIC form itself which is not based on commercial recording criteria. IE there is ALOT of playing and singing. Many a player can pull off a decent shout for 5 min, if they work on it. But playing in a real church takes unbelievable stamina.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Gospel organists -- gospel musicians in general -- are some of the most impressive on earth, as far as I'm concerned, and have a level of feel, chops, and harmonic know-how that always seems to hit the mark for this suburban agnostic Jewish kid. The gospel players in my town have regularly blown away many of the more traditionally schooled local musicians in their ability to wing it while responding to a preacher, or another player.

Thank you for sharing this. Inspirational despite/because of the tragic circumstances.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.